Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

Any early picks on the NFL Conference Finals? This time I go first.

This is the most wide open I ever remember as any of the teams in the NFL's "Final Four' could win the super bowl.

All of them are good (not great)teams with their own flaws.

AFC

Steelers over the Jets. This game could go either way. I give Pittsburgh the edge because game is at Heinz Field. Although the Jets won in Pitt on the next to last weekend of the regular season, the Steelers had already clicnhed their division and a 1st round bye by then.

The Jets can win this game but must play a similar game with "Big Ben' than the last game vs Brady and the Pats.

If this game was at the Meadowlands, I would pick the Jets.

NFC

Packers over the Bears. Again this could go either way. If Cutler has a good game, Chicago will win it. If not Rogers is fast becoming an elite QB in this post season as folks in Wisconsin are quickly stating "Bret Who?

And yes while I like Eli Manning Rogers other than Brady and Manning is the Best QB in the NFL right now.:eek:"

I think Fox would prefer a Steelers-Packers Super Bowl. Although almost any team playing in the 'big game' including the pee wee grid iron champs always makes the NFL Championship game among the most watched tv shows on the planet every late Jan./Early Feb. Not to mention with so much 'parity' in the league now, no doubt the 2011 Super Bowl (why they still even use #'s for each game is beyond me)will be the most watched (not highest rated which is different)TV show in US History.

Await your picks guys?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw on the news that if the Bears makes the super bowl, that Chicago's #1 'superfan' Pres. Obama has promised to attend the season at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. That should be fun.

Still await EE, B35, FG, R68 picks on the NFL Conference Finals.

Any early picks on the NFL Conference Finals? This time I go first.

This is the most wide open I ever remember as any of the teams in the NFL's "Final Four' could win the super bowl.

All of them are good (not great)teams with their own flaws.

AFC

Steelers over the Jets. This game could go either way. I give Pittsburgh the edge because game is at Heinz Field. Although the Jets won in Pitt on the next to last weekend of the regular season, the Steelers had already clicnhed their division and a 1st round bye by then.

The Jets can win this game but must play a similar game with "Big Ben' than the last game vs Brady and the Pats.

If this game was at the Meadowlands, I would pick the Jets.

NFC

Packers over the Bears. Again this could go either way. If Cutler has a good game, Chicago will win it. If not Rogers is fast becoming an elite QB in this post season as folks in Wisconsin are quickly stating "Bret Who?

And yes while I like Eli Manning Rogers other than Brady and Manning is the Best QB in the NFL right now.:eek:"

I think Fox would prefer a Steelers-Packers Super Bowl. Although almost any team playing in the 'big game' including the pee wee grid iron champs always makes the NFL Championship game among the most watched tv shows on the planet every late Jan./Early Feb. Not to mention with so much 'parity' in the league now, no doubt the 2011 Super Bowl (why they still even use #'s for each game is beyond me)will be the most watched (not highest rated which is different)TV show in US History.

Await your picks guys?

Packers: 31

Bears: 13

In my opinion, the Bears are the 2nd worst team in the playoffs. (the first being the seahawks)

Steelers: 24

Jets: 10

Steelers will be out for revenge

I agree with your picks R160. The only way the Packers blow out the Bears IMO, is if Bears QB Cutler throws 3 or more INT's and Green Bay goes nuts on the offense. On paper the Packers IMO are 'slightly' better. The only reason GB did not win the NFC North was the fact, Rogers was out 2-3 games in middle of season.

NFC Title: Packers. I just love Rodgers and Matthews. They are going to carry Green Bay a long way.

AFC Title: My heart says the Jets. My brain says the Steelers. 'nuff said on this issue.

Just saw the early weather forecasts for both Chicago and Pittsburgh for Sunday 1/23/11.

http://www.weather.com

Solider Field (Bears vs Packers)

Kickoff around 330pm ET

Partly Cloudy 10% chance of snow flurries projected temp at game time.

20 degrees.

Heinz Field (Jets vs Steelers)

Kickoff around 630pm ET

Cloudy 40% chance of snow flurries very windy projected temp at game time.

15 degrees (single digit wind chills)

So looks like both of the NFL's conference finals will be brutally cold.:eek:

Just saw the early weather forecasts for both Chicago and Pittsburgh for Sunday 1/23/11.

Kickoff around 330pm ET

20 degrees.

Kickoff around 630pm ET

And that my friend is the way football should be played.

Remember that football league back in the 80's, USFL?

they had a spring/summer schedule, that was tough to watch.:cool:

Oh Yes The USFL. Actually don't laugh that league co-founded by Donald Trump (yes that Mr. Trump)Owner of the NY/NJ Generals, TV Executive Legend Chet Simmions and other Businessman was a descent league.

Since the NFL brought out the AFL in 1970, the USFL so far has been the only 'rival' football league to challlenge the NFL.

Future NFL stars and even future Hall of Famers such as Steve Young, Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker and others started here.

Basically Trump and the other USFL 'founders' started in the Spring/Summer in 1983 to 'grow' and become a rival to the NFL. After a couple of descent seasons by 1986, the USFL sued the NFL for anti-trust violations.

Long Story short, The USFL won the suit but was awarded only $1 in damages as the split jury stated there was 'lack of evidence of full blown anti-trust charges. Thus by 1987, the USFL went out of business mainly for not winning a lawsuit vs. the mighty NFL.

And for those of you not yet born or remember here a slide of the helmets/logos of the USFL teams.

PS Back to topic. It's always worth the price of admission to see these NFL playoff games played in snow or brutally cold weather.

Let me try this:

In a close game, Jets over the Steelers;

Bears over the Packers

New York vs. Chicago Super Bowl.

A "NY-Chicago' Championship is great in 1 sport. The Yankees-Cubs in the world series.

From a TV standpoint, Fox-TV and the NFL first choice in the super bowl among the "final 4' teams this season is Packers-Steelers. If Green Bay-Pittsburgh does not occur, then Bears-Jets would be their 2nd choice. NY and Chicago are in the top 3-4 of America's top 5 markets for viewership.

I would say these teams are among the most popular:

Dallas Cowboys (America's Team ?)

Football New York Giants (Long history dating back to the original N.F.L. and longtime ownership by the Mara Family)

Chicago Bears (Same long history and George Halas)

Green Bay Packers ( Same long history and Curly Lambeau/Vince Lombardi)

Pittsburgh Steelers (Cowboys are 5-3 in eight Super Bowls but Steelers are 6-1 in seven)

San Francisco 49'ers

Original Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens

But these teams could be popular also:

New York Titans/Jets

Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts (Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning)

Boston/New England Patriots

Miami Dolphins (Don Shula)

I would say these teams are among the most popular:

Dallas Cowboys (America's Team ?)

Football New York Giants (Long history dating back to the original N.F.L. and longtime ownership by the Mara Family)

Chicago Bears (Same long history and George Halas)

Green Bay Packers ( Same long history and Curly Lambeau/Vince Lombardi)

Pittsburgh Steelers (Cowboys are 5-3 in eight Super Bowls but Steelers are 6-1 in seven)

San Francisco 49'ers

Original Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens

But these teams could be popular also:

New York Titans/Jets

Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts (Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning)

Boston/New England Patriots

Miami Dolphins (Don Shula)

Ok. To make it more simple here are the top 5 most popular NFL teams in America and even internationally.

1. Dallas Cowboys (also tied with the Yankees as the most valuable/expensive US based sports club)

2.Pittsburgh Steelers

3.Green Bay Packers.

These 3 clubs have the most popular NFL clubs for at least the 15 years. Then it's very intresting on the other '2' clubs. In most recent polls however these are the most popular clubs.

4. New England Pats

5. Indy Colts.

If you care EE according to most polls here are the next '3' most popular clubs.

6. New York Giants

7. Philadelphia Eagles

8. Chicago Bears.

Still await, Forest Glen and B35's picks.

Locomotion looks the same as a couple of days ago when the forecast first came out. At the end of the game in Pittsburgh, at appx. 930pm-10pm, it probably going to be around 8-10 degrees above zero.

Kickoff around 330pm ET

20 degrees.

Kickoff around 630pm ET

Just 24 hours to kickoff of the NFL Conference Finals. Still await final picks from B35, Forest Glen and anyone else?

I always wonder why can't one of the conference games be played today on Saturday?:eek:

I watch but I really dislike Super Bowl Sunday as it become a big TV show and no longer just the NFL Championship game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/19/sports/pro-football-jets-notebook-airport-99-hess-greets-his-team-in-wee-hours.html

Jets vs Broncos 1998 AFC Championship game, Jets were leading 10-0 at halftime

but lost 23-10. I couldn't sleep all night long after the game, that was a brutal way to lose.

And it was like 10 degrees at game time in Denver if I remember correctly.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/19/sports/pro-football-jets-notebook-airport-99-hess-greets-his-team-in-wee-hours.html

Jets vs Broncos 1998 AFC Championship game, Jets were leading 10-0 at halftime

but lost 23-10. I couldn't sleep all night long after the game, that was a brutal way to lose.

And it was like 10 degrees at game time in Denver if I remember correctly.

Too Bad, the Jets were in the AFC that season as they were the 2nd best team in the NFL that year IMO. Gang Green would have beaten either the Falcons(who got killed in that super bowl vs. Denver) or the Vikings in a playoff game.

Just like in MLB sometimes when the '2' best teams are in the same division as was the case with 2004 Yankees and Red Sox.

That year was best known for being legendary QB John Elway last season. Other than the '92-'93 Cowboys, the '98 Broncos IMO was the 2nd best team of the 1990's in the NFL and so underrated to teams like the Bills, the '94 49ers and Bret Favre's Packers. And I don't even like them as a Raiders fan.

Packers lead 14-0 at start of 2nd period when i wrote this at around 355pm NY time.

To Be honest if Packers QB Rogers did not miss a couple of games in middle of the season, Green Bay would have won at least 2 more games and finished at least with 12 wins. There was a pre season pick by many to make the super bowl.

Packers lead 14-0 at start of 2nd period when i wrote this at around 355pm NY time.

To Be honest if Packers QB Rogers did not miss a couple of games in middle of the season, Green Bay would have won at least 2 more games and finished at least with 12 wins. There was a pre season pick by many to make the super bowl.

My picks of the day are the Packers and Steelers. I don't see the Packers having much problems w/the Bears. Cutler isn't that great of a QB. Eventhough I haven't been following American football closely, I know that Cutler was an average QB at best, so I don't see him suddenly breaking out. He's forced a lot of throws so far in the game, which is not a good sign.

As far as the Steelers vs Jets game, it may be a close one. I think this game will depend on Sánchez. If he can prove himself, the Jets may be able to pull this one out, as their defense has been good enough thus far to win two on the road...

And for those of you who haven't ordered your football food and had your beer, what are you waiting for??? :mad:

My picks of the day are the Packers and Steelers. I don't see the Packers having much problems w/the Bears. Cutler isn't that great of a QB. Eventhough I haven't been following American football closely, I know that Cutler was an average QB at best, so I don't see him suddenly breaking out. He's forced a lot of throws so far in the game, which is not a good sign.

As far as the Steelers vs Jets game, it may be a close one. I think this game will depend on Sánchez. If he can prove himself, the Jets may be able to pull this one out, as their defense has been good enough thus far to win two on the road...

And for those of you who haven't ordered your football food and had your beer, what are you waiting for??? :mad:

Cutler is a 'good' not great or elite QB. He had a 'career' season the best in his NFL life. In comprasion to a hockey goalie, he a "B" level backstopper who had the post sason of his life and led his club to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Jay Cutler has to cut down on the interceptions though and towards the end of the 2nd quarter he threw a bad pass, costing the Bears at least 3 points. There is plenty of football left so there is a possibility of a comeback.

The chances of a comeback for the Bears just got lowered. Cutler is not playing and may not come back due to an injury. If that case, the Packers can now book a flight to the Dallas Texas area for the super bowl.

Archived