Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a Jets fan takes devotion: We have been to the Super Bowl only once, We have have been to the A.F.L./A.F.C. Championship Game only four times, We have been to the A.F.L./N.F.L. Playoffs only sixteen out of fifty seasons.

Our best regular season came in 1998 when we won the East Divison with 12-4; only ten times have we won ten games or more (eighteen winning seasons out of fifty).

We've had Broadway Joe Namath, Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Vinny Testaverde, Brett Favre, and now Mark Sanchez; Mark Gastineau and Neil Folk. You Know. Maybe Jets fans, kind of, are like Cubs fans (since 1945).

Not a betting man but just saw the odds at Vegas and online bookies. The general odds is that the Packers a #6 seed is a 3-point 'favorite' over the Steelers in the super bowl.

I am little surprised that the a lower 'wild card' would be favorite to win. IMO the Steelers should be 3 points favorites based on having a better record in the regular season.

Also as expected the AFC and NFC Championship games last night had great ratings/tv viewersip. The Jets/Steelers game had an estimated 21.5 rating or almost 41 Million people in the US alone watched all or part of the game. Overall both NFL Conference games was the highest rated in over 20 years. Another reason the NFL would be shooting itself in the foot if a work stoppage occurred.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/

Head Coach Jeff Fisher, the last head coach in Houston Oilers history and the only head coach in Tennessee Titans history has been let go after sixteen years. Jeff Fisher was promoted to replace Head Coach Jack Pardee in 1994 then went on to be head coach of the Oilers/Titans for the next sixteen years.

His best years were in Tennessee. In 1999, the Titans finished 13-3 and reached Super Bowl XXXIV; The Titans repeated with 13-3 seasons in 2000 and in 2008. That season, the Titans started 10-0, were upset by Gang Green and finished 3-2 after their first lost.

In Week 1 of 2009, the Titans lost in overtime to the Steelers and started 0-6 after a 59-0 loss to the Patriots, the Titans, however finished 8-2 to finish with a .500 record at 8-8.

Overall, Jeff Fisher compiled a 142-120 regular season and 5-6 playoff record with a trip to the Super Bowl. Six winning seasons and five .500 seasons.

Steelers vs Packers. I am sure R68, Locomotion and other Jets are crying now.

Haha, I don't cry over a game man, way more important things in life to worry about.

I admit that I got angry after the 1st half and I went to sleep so I missed the comeback.

Rex Ryan was crying though and he failed, hopefully he will

talk less next season if there is one. Results are the only thing that matter.

Are the Tennessee Titans officially Memphis, Nashville or both cities :confused: ?

As someone who been to Nashville and Memphis in Christmas/New Years season 2006-07, the Titans are supposed to be a team for the entire state of Tennessee. Most of their fans are in the Nashville area. So the Titans home base is the Nashville area. The Titans played in Memphis for couple of season in the mid-1990's while their current stadium in Nashville was being bulit. In Memphis, they were briefly called the "Tennessee Oilers" before the name change when they moved to Nashville.

Those NFL fans in Memphis and the Western part of the state are similar to NJ which has mostly Giants, Jets and Eagle fans. Many of them in the city of Memphis are also either Cowboys or Saints fans as well. Dallas/North Texas and the New Orleans area being only no more than a 4-hour drive from the 'home' of Elvis as well.

In the NFL TV siutation, Memphis is considered to be the home market of both the Titans and secondary Cowboys.

Hope it answers your question EE?

Say what you want about Sanchez and Ryan, but 2 consecutive trips to the AFC championship game and a 4-2 playoff record (all on the road) deserves respect. The rest of the organization, well that's another matter.

The divisional games are usually played on MLK weekend and I often head to Vegas for it. Last year I also went to Indy for the AFC championship game and was going to go to Baltimore if the Ravens hadn't collapsed last week. I also had a SB ticket had the Jets pulled it out (though I am still trying to go anyway).

If the Jets won I think it would have been the 1st time 2 #6s seeds would have faced each other in the SB - That'd be some bet. I'm trying to find out the last time neither championship game included a #1 seed. That has to be rare.

Just checked - 1979, 2008, 2010 (3 times since 1975).

Say what you want about Sanchez and Ryan, but 2 consecutive trips to the AFC championship game and a 4-2 playoff record (all on the road) deserves respect. The rest of the organization, well that's another matter.

The divisional games are usually played on MLK weekend and I often head to Vegas for it. Last year I also went to Indy for the AFC championship game and was going to go to Baltimore if the Ravens hadn't collapsed last week. I also had a SB ticket had the Jets pulled it out (though I am still trying to go anyway).

If the Jets won I think it would have been the 1st time 2 #6s seeds would have faced each other in the SB - That'd be some bet. I'm trying to find out the last time neither championship game included a #1 seed. That has to be rare.

Just checked - 1979, 2008, 2010 (3 times since 1975).

welcome aboard buddy.:tup:

The Jets deserve respect for making the NFL "final 4' 2 straight years in a row and for first time in club history.

So sbjnyc are you aware of the looming and possible NFL strike/lockout right?

Thanks. I'm aware (especially with the Mets destined to suck this summer) but I'm optimistic that the union and NFL will avoid a stupendously stupid work stoppage.

This is only a guess. I think there will be a lockout this summer/early Fall. Thus the regular training camp/pre season might be wiped out. With that said, I think this will be similar to the 1987 work stoppage season in which the players losing millions will crawl back and accept a new deal. Not to mention intense pressure from Washington i.e the White House and Local state governements around the country. The NFL is also a multi billion dollar business in which thousands of people from hot dog vendors to resturants depend on NFL games to survive.

I would not be suprised if as much as 2-3 weeks of the regular season is gone. Again I think there will be a 12 game regular season for the 2011 campaign.

In the event of a loss of part of the 2011 season a flashback to 1982:

AFC:

NFC:

East:

East:

Miami 7-2

Washington 8-1

New York Jets 6-3

Dallas 6-3

New England 5-4

Saint Louis (Cardinals) 5-4

Buffalo 4-5

New York Football Giants 4-5

Baltimore (Colts) 0-8-1

Philadelphia 3-6

Central:

Central:

Cincinnatti 7-2

Green Bay 5-3-1

Pittsburgh 6-3

Minnesota 5-4

Cleveland 4-5

Tampa Bay 5-4

Houston (Oilers) 1-8

Detroit 4-5

Chicago 3-6

West:

West:

Los Angeles (Raiders) 8-1

Atlanta 5-4

San Diego 6-3

New Orleans 4-5

Seattle 4-5

San Francisco 3-6

Kansas City 3-6

Los Angeles (Rams) 2-7

Denver 2-7

The 1982 NFL strike really put their TV partners at that time ABC, NBC and CBS in a pickle. ABC and NBC added more MLB games that season as the strike started on the last week of the 1982 MLB regular season.

While CBS and later NBC(after the MLB Playoffs)would carry CFL and crappy movies of the week.

Not to mention the LCS and world series was the most watched in MLB history to that point helped by the NFL strike. A Brewers-Cardinals World Series today would cause a network carrying it i.e Fox to get a heart attack.

So a NFL work stoppage in the Fall of 2011 probably means more reality shows and poker matches as replacement to the NFL.

In the event of a loss of part of the 2011 season a flashback to 1982:

AFC:

NFC:

East:

East:

Miami 7-2

Washington 8-1

New York Jets 6-3

Dallas 6-3

New England 5-4

Saint Louis (Cardinals) 5-4

Buffalo 4-5

New York Football Giants 4-5

Baltimore (Colts) 0-8-1

Philadelphia 3-6

Central:

Central:

Cincinnatti 7-2

Green Bay 5-3-1

Pittsburgh 6-3

Minnesota 5-4

Cleveland 4-5

Tampa Bay 5-4

Houston (Oilers) 1-8

Detroit 4-5

Chicago 3-6

West:

West:

Los Angeles (Raiders) 8-1

Atlanta 5-4

San Diego 6-3

New Orleans 4-5

Seattle 4-5

San Francisco 3-6

Kansas City 3-6

Los Angeles (Rams) 2-7

Denver 2-7

For a little Pro Bowl? The Pro Bowl is tomorrow night at 7:00pm and after a one year abscence, returns to Honolulu, Hawaii.

The early Pro Bowl Forecast: Honolulu will be partly sunny with a shower. High of 82 ͦ(real feel 85 ͦ) a low of 65 ͦ. Sunrise 7:09am Sunset 6:19pm Hawaii Time (5 hours behind New York City and 3 hours behind Arizona).

For a little Pro Bowl? The Pro Bowl is tomorrow night at 7:00pm and after a one year abscence, returns to Honolulu, Hawaii.

The early Pro Bowl Forecast: Honolulu will be partly sunny with a shower. High of 82 ͦ(real feel 85 ͦ) a low of 65 ͦ. Sunrise 7:09am Sunset 6:19pm Hawaii Time (5 hours behind New York City and 3 hours behind Arizona).

I know it was moved to Feb because of the tv sweeps period. However I don't get why the super bowl was moved to the first weekend in Febuary? It not like the ratings went down.

Again I don't understand why the game could not stayed to be played on the last Sunday in January and thus only a 1-week break.

Regarding the Pro Bowl, i rather watch paint dry. It basically 'touch football' and no real game action.;)

Finally lets get ready for the super bowl. Again I am sure Steelers QB "Big Ben' will be the focus of most of the media attention and his recent legal problems.

With that said, here my pick. This should be a really good game. However with the Packers playing as well as anyone and the league's hottest team, Aaron Rogers seems to be on a mission to join or even replace Mr. Brady and Mr. Peyton Manning as maybe the best QB in the NFL. Not to mention once and for all, have NFL fans across America and the world forget the previous Green Bay QB named Favre.

Steelers playing banged up with a hurt Troy Polamalu. Not to mention a key loss as Center Maurkice Pouncey is probably 'out' of this championship game. While the Packers who were banged up including the loss of Rogers mid-season for a couple of games, are now fairly healthy. Green Bay probably wins at least 2 more games with a healthy Rogers all season and would have won their division with 12-13 wins.

This game could go either way. IMO if this game is a higher scoring match, GB wins this. Pitt must keep this a fairly low scoring game i.e 17-21 points to win.

I am picking the Packers to win their 4th Super Bowl and their 1st since after the 1996 season(Jan. 1997)..

This is only a guess. I think there will be a lockout this summer/early Fall. Thus the regular training camp/pre season might be wiped out. With that said, I think this will be similar to the 1987 work stoppage season in which the players losing millions will crawl back and accept a new deal. Not to mention intense pressure from Washington i.e the White House and Local state governements around the country. The NFL is also a multi billion dollar business in which thousands of people from hot dog vendors to resturants depend on NFL games to survive.

I would not be suprised if as much as 2-3 weeks of the regular season is gone. Again I think there will be a 12 game regular season for the 2011 campaign.

There are only 8 home games in the NFL regular season (10 if you count the sparsely populated exhibition games) so most jobs aside from players and NFL/team staff aren't impacted significantly. There might be some business lost in nearby hotels and some sports bars but that is much harder to quantify. This is much different than a work stoppage in baseball but I'm sure politicians will try to position themselves to get in a few choice sound bites anyway.

And even if you were right about the start of the season I can still see the league trying to extend the season to the full 16 games as there probably won't be too many scheduling difficulties.

There are only 8 home games in the NFL regular season (10 if you count the sparsely populated exhibition games) so most jobs aside from players and NFL/team staff aren't impacted significantly. There might be some business lost in nearby hotels and some sports bars but that is much harder to quantify. This is much different than a work stoppage in baseball but I'm sure politicians will try to position themselves to get in a few choice sound bites anyway.

And even if you were right about the start of the season I can still see the league trying to extend the season to the full 16 games as there probably won't be too many scheduling difficulties.

Unlike MLB, NBA, NHL and other sports where attendence is crtitcal, most of the profits for NFL Owners comes from TV monies. It's a TV sport. Personally I never understood why Rupert Mudrock of Fox, CBS or NBC/Comcast just become full owners of the NFL but that for another discussion.

A work stoppage in the other '3' major sports in this country is devasting since they play for 4-6 months of the year with either 40 'home' games in the NBA/NHL or '80' in MLB. However your above comments are good points.

Anything in this ongoing NFL contract talks can happen. The reason why i don't think this will be a long lockout (I think it will occur)is because the players can't afford an extended period of the league being shutdown. During "Super Bowl" a few players have already began 'trash talking' on this labor dispute. That why I am 'guessing' a few games in the regular season will be lost but the 2011 season might be only 10-12 games played.

It might be interesting to note that football has had only one work stoppage to date (1982 - 57 days). Basketball has also had one, but it reduced the 1998-1999 season to 50 games and hockey has had one that lasted 310 days and eliminated the 2004-2005 N.H.L. season and Stanley Cup.

M.L.B., by far, has been the hardest hit by work stoppages and the M.L.B. Players' Union got a little worse with each one:

*April 1, 1972

(The very first-ever strike wiped out the first week of the 1972 season and teams now had their Opening Day during the week of April 14th; teams played an average of 154 games; eight teams played 155 games; four teams played 156; two played only 153)

*June 12, 1981

(This strike resulted in 1981 being split into two halves; the division leaders on June 12th were declared the first half winners and the second half began with the 1981 All-Star Game on August 9th. Teams played between 103 and 110 games; one team played 111 games. The two half format resulted in an extra round of playoffs - the first LDS)

*August 6, 1985

(This strike lasted only two days - both games were made up for a full 162 game season.)

*August 12, 1994

(This strike ended the 1994 season, cancelled the World Series and reduced the 1995 season to 144 games. Teams had played between 112 and 117 games.)

There also was a Spring Training lockout by the owners in 1976 which lasted 17 days.

It might be interesting to note that football has had only one work stoppage to date (1982 - 57 days). Basketball has also had one, but it reduced the 1998-1999 season to 50 games and hockey has had one that lasted 310 days and eliminated the 2004-2005 N.H.L. season and Stanley Cup.

M.L.B., by far, has been the hardest hit by work stoppages and the M.L.B. Players' Union got a little worse with each one:

*April 1, 1972

(The very first-ever strike wiped out the first week of the 1972 season and teams now had their Opening Day during the week of April 14th; teams played an average of 154 games; eight teams played 155 games; four teams played 156; two played only 153)

*June 12, 1981

(This strike resulted in 1981 being split into two halves; the division leaders on June 12th were declared the first half winners and the second half began with the 1981 All-Star Game on August 9th. Teams played between 103 and 110 games; one team played 111 games. The two half format resulted in an extra round of playoffs - the first LDS)

*August 6, 1985

(This strike lasted only two days - both games were made up for a full 162 game season.)

*August 12, 1994

(This strike ended the 1994 season, cancelled the World Series and reduced the 1995 season to 144 games. Teams had played between 112 and 117 games.)

There also was a Spring Training lockout by the owners in 1976 which lasted 17 days.

Correction EE. The NFL also had a work stoppage early in the 1987 season. That season was reduced to 13 games and couple of those games had 'replacement' players. The team most hurt by the '87 work stoppage was the Giants the previous year's super bowl champions.

Archived