Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread is all about the 2010 Football season. Discussions of all your favorite NFL, College, and High School football teams threw out the season!!! Post anything you like of your team, and upload any pictures(optional) from any games that you attended.
With K-Rod, and all the Mets debacles at the moment my response is:

f**k YEAH!

Jets will be Super Bowl Champions!

With K-Rod, and all the Mets debacles at the moment my response is:

f**k YEAH!

Jets will be Super Bowl Champions!

LOL!!! Trying to see if I can get tickets for Nov 20th Between Notre Dame Vs Army @ Yankee Stadium.

I'm a Giants fan, but I hope both teams make it far this season.

Sorry Mass Production to bust your bubble but someone else already created a NFL thread. Maybe it can be merged.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22309

I know your not busting on me, but my thread is about the sport Football in general. The discussion doesn't have to be just only the NFL...it can also be High School or College level. I'm planing on going some high school football games this season, trying to catch a Giants game at there new stadium, and also trying to get tickets for Nov 20th between Notre Dame and Army at Yankee Stadium. My brother loves tradional Colleges such as Notre Dame, and Penn State.

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, I changed it because I am a HUGE fan of NCAA.

Sorry but while I am a big fan of the NFL i can't stand NCAA football for these reasons. Being fair, I do like NCAA Basketball much more than Football and Basketball has some of the same issues as College Football.

1)No playoff or mini post season tournment in Division I. I am not saying this should be a 64-team playoff like Basketball but i don't like the fact, how sportswriters/coaches and a computer determines who plays in the NCAA Football Championship. The Computer/sportswriters and Coaches poll should be used for ranking/seedings like the NCAA hoops Tournment & College World Series in Baseball.

2)No uniform in season. While most college teams play about 11 games now, some play as much as 12 games.

3)How the major schools have advantage over mid majors in being in the BCS Bowls.. While Alabama was clearly the national champion for the 2009 season, a team like Boise State from a so called "Mid Major" school unless they go undefeated has no chance to play at least in the Championship game.

The current format is set up so that powers like Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State, Univ. of Fla. etc., and before their recent slump Notre Dame are lined up with a chance to win the NCAA championship.

4)The BCS. It has killed the non-BCS bowls and as a kid as late as the 1980's, bowls like the Holiday Bowl, Liberty Bowl, etc. would often get top 10 teams and occasional produce a NCAA Champion like then 'mid major" BYU going undefeated and still playing in the Holiday Bowl. Not to mention some bias among a few sportswriters and coaches in their voting, which should be objective.

5)Rampant corruption i.e players getting $$ under the table and coaches leaving in middle of contracts. We all know NCAA Football is a minor league for the NFL. I won't even address what happened at USC in the Reggie Bush years and the rampant corruption i.e players being paid under the table, low graduation rated at many of the elite football schools. I only mention the coaching situation.

If a coach at a major school such as Boise State for example has a great year and makes it to a BCS Bowl, he then might leave for a power school that did not make a post season game and get a big payday leaving a smaller school like Boise years to recover.

My solutions.

1)Create a 12 team tournment around the bowl games with the top 4 ranked teams in the BCS polls getting a first round bye at the end of the regular season. The other 8 'wild card' teams play in the first round and then play until we get to the championship game. The playoffs could begin the 2nd weekend in Dec., the 2nd round around New Year's Day, the semifinals the following week and the Championship Game on the weekend of Martin Luther King's Holiday.

More people/media attention will attend the Holiday Bowl in San Diego then currently the teams that finished in 3rd place or w/e from the ACC vs. Pac-10 for instance.

So if Divison 2 and 3 can have a short post season college football tournment why not Divison I?

2)If a coach from a school wants to leave and go to another while under contract, his new school must pay his old college 100% of his contract plus a $5 million buyout. This will lessen chances from 'younger' and hot new coaches from leaving and hurting mid-major schools.

3)Players who leave school before their Junior Year for either the NFL or CFL must pay back the full 'free' football scholarship.

4)If players get their degrees their is up to a $500,000 reward depending on how much their schools appeared on television. It's a shame IMO why these kids many of them from lower economic class backgrounds can get a small piece of the Billions some of these bigger schools make.

5)Stations like ESPN/ABC and CBS which now telecasts almost all of the NCAA Football and Basketball games should also put more of these fees to be the TV home for the NCAA on scholarships to pay for sports that get less media attention ie such as Lacrosse and Volleyball.

Just my takes. Reactions?:eek:

Reggie Bush must forfeit his 2005 Heisman Trophy. Just another way I not a fan of NCAA Football. Why can't the NFL have a minors like MLB and Hockey?

Sorry but while I am a big fan of the NFL i can't stand NCAA football for these reasons. Being fair, I do like NCAA Basketball much more than Football and Basketball has some of the same issues as College Football.

1)No playoff or mini post season tournment in Division I. I am not saying this should be a 64-team playoff like Basketball but i don't like the fact, how sportswriters/coaches and a computer determines who plays in the NCAA Football Championship. The Computer/sportswriters and Coaches poll should be used for ranking/seedings like the NCAA hoops Tournment & College World Series in Baseball.

2)No uniform in season. While most college teams play about 11 games now, some play as much as 12 games.

3)How the major schools have advantage over mid majors in being in the BCS Bowls.. While Alabama was clearly the national champion for the 2009 season, a team like Boise State from a so called "Mid Major" school unless they go undefeated has no chance to play at least in the Championship game.

The current format is set up so that powers like Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State, Univ. of Fla. etc., and before their recent slump Notre Dame are lined up with a chance to win the NCAA championship.

4)The BCS. It has killed the non-BCS bowls and as a kid as late as the 1980's, bowls like the Holiday Bowl, Liberty Bowl, etc. would often get top 10 teams and occasional produce a NCAA Champion like then 'mid major" BYU going undefeated and still playing in the Holiday Bowl. Not to mention some bias among a few sportswriters and coaches in their voting, which should be objective.

5)Rampant corruption i.e players getting $$ under the table and coaches leaving in middle of contracts. We all know NCAA Football is a minor league for the NFL. I won't even address what happened at USC in the Reggie Bush years and the rampant corruption i.e players being paid under the table, low graduation rated at many of the elite football schools. I only mention the coaching situation.

If a coach at a major school such as Boise State for example has a great year and makes it to a BCS Bowl, he then might leave for a power school that did not make a post season game and get a big payday leaving a smaller school like Boise years to recover.

My solutions.

1)Create a 12 team tournment around the bowl games with the top 4 ranked teams in the BCS polls getting a first round bye at the end of the regular season. The other 8 'wild card' teams play in the first round and then play until we get to the championship game. The playoffs could begin the 2nd weekend in Dec., the 2nd round around New Year's Day, the semifinals the following week and the Championship Game on the weekend of Martin Luther King's Holiday.

More people/media attention will attend the Holiday Bowl in San Diego then currently the teams that finished in 3rd place or w/e from the ACC vs. Pac-10 for instance.

So if Divison 2 and 3 can have a short post season college football tournment why not Divison I?

2)If a coach from a school wants to leave and go to another while under contract, his new school must pay his old college 100% of his contract plus a $5 million buyout. This will lessen chances from 'younger' and hot new coaches from leaving and hurting mid-major schools.

3)Players who leave school before their Junior Year for either the NFL or CFL must pay back the full 'free' football scholarship.

4)If players get their degrees their is up to a $500,000 reward depending on how much their schools appeared on television. It's a shame IMO why these kids many of them from lower economic class backgrounds can get a small piece of the Billions some of these bigger schools make.

5)Stations like ESPN/ABC and CBS which now telecasts almost all of the NCAA Football and Basketball games should also put more of these fees to be the TV home for the NCAA on scholarships to pay for sports that get less media attention ie such as Lacrosse and Volleyball.

My solutions.

Ok, so let's get down to business here. Sorry it took so long for me to post, but I been SUPER busy.

I have to (slightly) agree with you on a few points here. Mainly #'s 1, and 3. #1 is one of the few things I don't like about NCAA, so I have to agree 100% there. Then we come to #3. True the "Big Boys" run things, but in a way it make the NCAA unique. If I had my way, there would definitely be playoff games. I don't really care for the way they do it either, but Its NCAA, so I have gotten used to it.

Overall, I like the NCAA over the NFL for a couple reasons. The high turnover rate keeps me guessing who's going to do what evrry season. There are always new players coming, and senior players leaving. NFL players in my opinion are not as hungry as NCAA players because they are pretty much established. The way I look at it, NCAA player have something to prove 100% of the time. This keeps me on edge, whereas the NFL players are more comfortable where they are, and many of them don't play as hard as they could or should. It's a bore to me, and the only time I watch is at playoff's, of If I'm out with a friend and we catch a live game, or go to a sports bar. Other than that, it's NCAA all day! I like to watch those games from beginning to end! Especially Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Notre Dame games!

The first half aka the 1pm games of the 2nd week of the the NFL are a wrap.

Generally most of the games went to form except, for 1 very big surprise outcome. The Cowboys lost their home opener in Texas to the the Bears. Dallas a pre-season pick by many people to go to super bowl are now 0-2. Is Cowboys Coach Norv Turner in trouble with his job?

Meanwhile the Eagles blow out the Lions for their 1st win. Micheal Vick had a great game and thus an early contender for comeback player of the year? I am sure the hotlines at Philly sportsradio station WIP will be ringing off the hook in next few days as Vick replaced the injuried starter QB Mr. Kobb.

Can we say QB controversy in Philly?

Now await the Jets/Pats game and later tonight 9/19/10 the Manning vs. Manning QB match-up as it's the Giants vs. the Colts.

Feel free to reply.

Jets about to win their 1st win of the season. They lead the Pats 28-14 late in the 4th period.

Little off topic but related. What up with all of the 'in-game commericals and promos' on NFL games mainly Fox-TV and CBS?

Don't mistake me, I am aware those in-game commericals has been around since the early days of the NFL being on TV. Just gotten worse since when i was a kid.

I know it's a business but man it seems like after every play, either a sponor is mentioned or the TV station broadcasting the game is plugging for one of their shows. Even plays such as 'coach's challenge' and 'punts' is now having a commerical plug during the game. Don't worry the in game commerical is also bad in the '3' other major sports ie MLB NBA and NHL.

Only soccer has no commerical breaks during matches and it's a reason IMO, it does not get much tv coverage here in US outside of the world cup.

What you guys think? I guess the alternative without these in game commericals is the NFL going to pay-per view.:tdown::mad:

Not that I care for the Texans or the Redskins, but...

way I see it, the NFL gotta get rid of this thing where, coaches can call timeouts right before the snap to "ice" the kicker....

- mind you, this is the same league that just this year, that now have a rule where, a QB cannot fake taking a knee to pull of a play... but faking a spike & running a play is okay (hell, it happened once last week, and twice this week so far)

- the same league where the "booth" makes the decisions to have a play reviewed in overtime... and can summon for many reviewed plays as they see fit in overtime.... whereas during regulation, coaches are handed a red flag & are told you only have 2 chances per game with which you can "challenge" a ruling on the field...

....and as a cute little bonus, you get an extra challenge if you get 2 challenges overturned in your favor....

*smfh*

- the same league where if you graze a punter on his follow-through of a punt, you get a 15 yard roughing the kicker penalty, resulting in an automatic 1st down...

- let's not even mention the bevy of interpretations on what a catch is or isn't anymore; the elbow hitting the ground this, and the knee hitting the ground that, and maintaining possession on a sideline play with both feet in-bounds, even if you're shoved out of bounds....

(now if you're shoved out of bounds on a sideline play after having possession in mid-air, the officials now have to make a judgment call on the spot, if the receiver would have came down in-bounds with both feet, or not... I mean, wtf?)

I mean, I'm all for change... but the NFL is overdoing it now... enough is enough....

too many intangibles the NFL are coming with, to change the momentum & enjoyability of these games....

Revis spent all offseason crying about his contract and now he's injured. The only reason I'm not pissed off is because the Jets still won.

The Jets have got to be the most overhyped team in sports today.... the fact that their fans think they're gonna take the AFC this year is nothin short of delusional.... for all I care, they can go 0-14 the rest of this season & I wouldn't even wince.....

Anyway, anyone who bitches & makes a scene in the media about wanting a higher contract, I immediately lose respect for.... this guy Revis is no exception....

In the 2nd Manning Bowl, Peyton Manning and the Colts destroy his kid Brother Eli and the Giants on week #2 of the season. Big Blue defense looked worse than a Pop Warner HS team.

yeah, Peyton picked the Giants defense apart... why they opted to only run 1 LB in their defensive set for most of the 1st half, I have no clue... I'm not an NFL QB obviously, but you know what - I don't have to be, to exploit a defense like that....

If you know anything about football, and you see just 1 LB parked in the 2nd tier of some team's defense, (if you're smart), you're running that football... 1 man cannot cover the entire 2nd tier/layer of defense on a 50+ YARD WIDE FIELD (meaning, left to right)... makes absolutely no sense...

as for the Giants offense, they have NO identity at all... they're hard to watch...

The first half aka the 1pm games of the 2nd week of the the NFL are a wrap.

Generally most of the games went to form except, for 1 very big surprise outcome. The Cowboys lost their home opener in Texas to the the Bears. Dallas a pre-season pick by many people to go to super bowl are now 0-2. Is Cowboys Coach Norv Turner in trouble with his job?

Norv Turner??

Archived