R160s on the A

DaTransitMan4608

INDman, I am well aware of the fact that every company cannot give away its secrets or every part of their plans. But by the fact that someone told you about the R160s "dropping in Amperes" or what you stated above, convinces me that there were no problems to begin with. Whether or not these "problems" actually happen, I won't be convinced unless I see solid proof from an interior video of a R160 set going through the Rockaway Flats or someone as high-ranked as Professor Gene Sansone gives me the calculations. I'm not pointing out that anyone here is a liar, but the Physics simply doesn't make sense. And as you stated in another thread, "it's against the MTA policy for anything to make sense" for non-employees (more like non-executives).

Gene Sansone is not high ranked. He's retired. Let the poor guy live his life!

See Joe's post. The NTT's have a low threshold tolerance for "imperfections." Little things like slight variations in voltage vs. expected, current vs. what is called for, and load will throw the computer systems in the tech trains for a loop. LIPA's power supply is not as reliable as Con Ed for the rest of the system. A number of factors play into it. But they're not making it up. And the reason they don't assign R160 (A)'s to Lefferts is if something jams up on the Lefferts Branch then those cars have to go to Far Rock. So it's easier just to not assign the cars to that line until the problems are 100% fixed. And no one reliable has told me that they are yet.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
INDman, I am well aware of the fact that every company cannot give away its secrets or every part of their plans. But by the fact that someone told you about the R160s "dropping in Amperes" or what you stated above, convinces me that there were no problems to begin with. Whether or not these "problems" actually happen, I won't be convinced unless I see solid proof from an interior video of a R160 set going through the Rockaway Flats or someone as high-ranked as Professor Gene Sansone gives me the calculations. I'm not pointing out that anyone here is a liar, but the Physics simply doesn't make sense. And as you stated in another thread, "it's against the MTA policy for anything to make sense" for non-employees (more like non-executives).

English, kid.

If you can't grasp the simple idea that the more loads on a given power system, the less power each load can take, then I don't know what to tell you. Besides, your ideas and thoughts are irrelevant, as evidenced by the fact that: the R160s don't run on the (A).

How is it that what I am saying makes sense to people like Joe and Subwayguy who actually work on subway cars?

As I stated earlier, I am looking into this from an Electrical Engineer's point of view; the Physics you were giving me made absolutely no sense.

May I ask, how do you go about fixing subway equipment? Do you go about using knowledge from what you understood through Math/Physics, or were you simply "plugging in formulas" by doing every step that your manager wanted you to commit to?

English, kid.

Besides, your ideas and thoughts are irrelevant, as evidenced by the fact that: the R160s don't run on the (A).

What is irrelevant? Doesn't it make sense to you that the AC Motors used in these trains are Induction Motors over Synchronous Motors? From my understanding, induction (much in the way of a car's ignition system) is how the motors get 625v to run the train after drawing 600v from the third rail.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I know that people who works with railroad components should at least know that there is more than one type of AC Traction Motor.

The problem was and IS that when you have several R160s out in the Rockaways at the same time, the amperage dropped. This drop would cause systems on the trains to shut down and cause the trains to stop. The problem has not been fixed, but cars can still test out there.

It's all those damn computers. Computers don't like energy drops.

i just love the vast knowledge children bring to this site.

It's called Derpfest 2010

As I stated earlier, I am looking into this from an Electrical Engineer's point of view; the Physics you were giving me made absolutely no sense.

May I ask, how do you go about fixing subway equipment? Do you go about using knowledge from what you understood through Math/Physics, or were you simply "plugging in formulas" by doing every step that your manager wanted you to commit to?

What is irrelevant? Doesn't it make sense to you that the AC Motors used in these trains are Induction Motors over Synchronous Motors? From my understanding, induction (much in the way of a car's ignition system) is how the motors get 625v to run the train after drawing 600v from the third rail.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I know that people who works with railroad components should at least know that there is more than one type of AC Traction Motor.

As I stated before, I am NOT an electrician. I am just saying what was told to me. My understanding of electricity is VERY basic so what I said may not be spot on. But never the less, there is a problem that does exist that causes R160s not not run well out there,

Of course INDman. Apologies if the sarcasm I was trying to coat that post with was not thick enough to be apparent to all.

No problem.

It's all those damn computers. Computers don't like energy drops.

It's called Derpfest 2010

Amperage has nothing to do with the R160 computers. Amperage or Amperes is the measure of current in a circuit (600v 3rd Rail). In a circuit (even one with different output voltage sources), the current has to be constant in order for it to function.

Amperage has nothing to do with the R160 computers. Amperage or Amperes is the measure of current in a circuit (600v 3rd Rail). In a circuit (even one with different output voltage sources), the current has to be constant in order for it to function.

DC is not constant though. Remember that EVERYTHING contains resistance. Voltage drop occurs over long distances. When you have a number of trains pulling current from a steady voltage you are in essence increasing the length of the circuit at certain points along it, depending on where trains are. Granted, electricity takes the path of least resistance but the longer the circuit, the more voltage drop there is because even contact shoes and third rails have resistances. Slight variations in available voltage can cause problems with the NTT's.

This is because of the way LIPA feeds power via substations to the Rockaways vs. the way ConEd feeds power via substations to everywhere else. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

5278, you got to understand, they are all full of shit, They ran an R160 to Far Rockaway before in (A) service,

Here's the proof:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?54367

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?54734

That shows you that the R160's did go to Far Rockaway in Passenger service

5278, you got to understand, they are all full of shit, They ran an R160 to Far Rockaway before in (A) service,

Here's the proof:

VOMIT! The issue is when there are 2+ R160s in the Rocks at the same time!:mad:

As I stated before, I am NOT an electrician. I am just saying what was told to me. My understanding of electricity is VERY basic so what I said may not be spot on. But never the less, there is a problem that does exist that causes R160s not not run well out there,

I'm not expecting you to believe me and I do apologize if I sounded arrogant, but I'm just laying out my reasons. From what I've been taught, a Physicist is never compatible with a Politician; a Physicist uses different ways to find one truth, while a Politician uses one way to spread a bunch of lies. And yes, I am alluding the MTA Executives as "politicians" because they are keeping a lot of secrets. My bottom line is that no problem could've physically existed at the Rockaway Flats by what was stated.

Here's the proof:

What do photos prove? I need videos from the interior of the train, which don't exist.

Yup we're full of shit. One train ran out there, by itself. Don't take anything we say seriously because dipshit a**hole doesn't like the fact that R32's are at 207th Street Yard.

HA HA HA very funny, keep on being an ass, yeah it looks like someones getting mad, :mad:

I can't wait until those fulton st residents throw a fit, This is something I want to happen.

HA HA HA very funny, keep on being an ass, yeah it looks like someones getting mad, :mad:

I can't wait until those fulton st residents throw a fit, This is something I want to happen.

I don't give a shit who throws a fit. I care when f**ksticks who have done nothing for the hobby get behind their keyboards and talk shit about those who do. You're the one who's pissed off that R32's are running out of 207 Yd. I can't wait to see your reaction in 5 years when they're getting dumped in the ocean and you want to cry because the transit museum isn't running 3 R32 nostalgia trains every year.

Why is that relevant to the topic of 160s on the (A)?

It's not. And one train ran out there as a test. Unless he can show you several out there at once, he can't prove anything about what me and INDman saying being bullshit. And since that never happened, he's out of luck. It's his word vs. mine and IND's and several train crews, and several other TA employees who work in ops and planning. So I'll stick gladly to my side of things thank you very much.

Photos prove the fact that the R160 (A) ran to the Rockaways.

My concern is not of the fact that they made it to Rockaways, but rather of any "incidents" of "problems" along their way to the Rockaways. Since no solid proof exists, I am not convinced by people or even employees telling me that a problem exists.

My concern is not of the fact that they made it to Rockaways, but rather of any "incidents" of "problems" along their way to the Rockaways. Since no solid proof exists, I am not convinced by people or even employees telling me that a problem exists.

Well then that's your choice. No offense but I don't need to prove anything to you to know that what I'm saying is the reason they don't run R160's on that line.

Correction: those photos prove the fact that ONE R160 (A) train ran to the Rockaways, not several as would be the case if the cars were regularly assigned to that line.

I doesn't matter how many runs out there, Its just a cover up so the senior T/O's don't have to deal with computer junk, I know the shit that goes on when it comes to the (A).

Archived