Relief! Straphangers won't be crammed into cattle-cars after MTA nixes plan for seatless subways

LRG

The cattle-car train has been canceled.

NYC Transit won't try to cram even more subway riders aboard trains by deploying cars without seats, the Daily News has learned.

A one-train pilot program, conceived more than a year ago, was expected to begin sometime this year so managers could evaluate a low-cost way of carrying more rush-hour passengers.

But with riders getting slammed with fare hikes and service cuts, the new NYC Transit administration saw trouble down the line.

"People are already feeling they're paying more for less," a transit official said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/26/2010-08-26_you_can_rest_easy_seatless_subway_plan_nixed_by_mta.html#ixzz0xlOdvVot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional article: http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/08/mta_decides_this_is_probably_n.html

post-2442-133288582156_thumb.jpg

post-2442-133288582156_thumb.jpg

Hopefully they can restore the original seats on that R160B set. 90 degree seat angle = fail. It should be slightly sloped or over 90+ degrees.

I missed riding that train by one train. I leave Jamaica Center and see that one as the next train at Sutphin.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I still haven't seen that set since it got transfered to Jamaica. Is it still there or is it back at Coney Island?

Since there like thousands of R160s around, I don't think you have to worry about the seats. Plus there's still the 'orphaned' R143 3-car set* if they need some more seats.

* the one involved in the Canarsie yard 'launch'.

It isn't that many R160s (although it does feel like that lol)...and I thought they use that orphan set for spare parts for the other R143s

Man this well discourage people from taking subway then,I rather be sitting in a car or bus then being back like sardines.

...And you don't think a bus could be just as worse??? Try riding the X1 during rush hours...yea I said it, the X1, an express route. Sometimes you'll be standing midway of Staten Island (inbound) or south of 23rd Street (outbound).

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I still haven't seen that set since it got transfered to Jamaica. Is it still there or is it back at Coney Island?

It isn't that many R160s (although it does feel like that lol)...and I thought they use that orphan set for spare parts for the other R143s

Other than propulsion and a few electronic stuff and the single storm door vs twin doors, the R143s and R160s are basically the same. Seats are not an issue. Just like how the R44-68 seats are the same.

They shouldn't have canceled it, this will come back to haunt them i think.

- A

Although I often say that "the subway is a means and not a luxury", suspend this program for now and try implementing it again when times are better. Besides, I don't even think those seats were every folded up in the first place.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I hope not its rediculous to do so.just leave it the way it is,

But it may show up in the R179 order.

If the seatless car thing ever does officially happen, the MTA will get a crappies of complaints from old people with back problems and fat people. Do you know how many times I've been asked for my seat because of a physical disability?

If the seatless car thing ever does officially happen, the MTA will get a crappies of complaints from old people with back problems and fat people. Do you know how many times I've been asked for my seat because of a physical disability?

I haven't been asked for my seat, but I sure do feel bad if I don't give it up to someone I think should get it. I find myself hoping no one old or pregnant gets on an SRO car I'm sitting on.

Archived