Obama implores minister to call off Quran burning

St Louis Car 09

Ok so many of youy never heard of this man til now,but lately he`s been getting alot of attention with his plans for a "International burn a Quran day" On september 11th.Now this has gotten so serious General Petraeus and President Obama has urged him not to do it.Pastor Jones has said that he will take a bunch of Qurans and throw them into a bonfire to "Send a message" Now I think he weill chicken out,but what if he succeeds?Will others follow and do the same? And will this action taken upon him create serious consequences around the world?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_quran_burning_obama#mwpphu-container

Ok so many of youy never heard of this man til now,but lately he`s been getting alot of attention with his plans for a "International burn a Quran day" On september 11th.Now this has gotten so serious General Petraeus and President Obama has urged him not to do it.Pastor Jones has said that he will take a bunch of Qurans and throw them into a bonfire to "Send a message" Now I think he weill chicken out,but what if he succeeds?Will others follow and do the same? And will this action taken upon him create serious consequences around the world?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_quran_burning_obama#mwpphu-container

This has gotten alot of attention especially on the 3 major cable news channels.

The Vactican and many Jewish Groups I read have also asked this so called priest not to do this as well.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

That's real ignorant and messed up. Just for that, someone should burn a bunch of bibles so he can see how it feels

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

That's real ignorant and messed up. Just for that, someone should burn a bunch of bibles so he can see how it feels

Burn all the religious books and erase them from every computer in the world.

I call that progress.

why are people such pussies? big deal.. burn that shit on TV!

Crying like little spineless twats.. but they burn he american flag and shit like that and show it on tv all the time.. They should make a youtube video of them burning the quran and then pissing out the fire..

Obama can suck it..

What is this? America land of the spinless pussies? Why is everyone walking on eggshells because of these f**king muslims? But everyone can make fun and insult Catholicism and Judaism? Oh thats right cause muslims are fanatic nutjobs who will blow you up if you insult their religion...

PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF OUR CITIZENS AND TROOPS DONT INSULT THE MUSLIMS OR DRAW PICS OF MUHAMAEDRAGHEAD................

Oh noes they are going to set off bombs and recruit al-quada wordwide to bomb us.... These politicians are so out of control.... They are letting the muslims have this image of being big bullies when they are just a bunch of dirty smelly no showering douche bags... They cant even build bombs right without blowing themselves up first or sinking the boat and then coming back with a bigger boat..

America has really become soft... This country has gone to shit

I hate religion and muslims even more than ever now.. I call for nationwide desecration of muslim books!

Everyone go out and make a youtube vid of you taking a crap on the quaran!

What is this? America land of the spinless pussies? Why is everyone walking on eggshells because of these f**king muslims? But everyone can make fun and insult Catholicism and Judaism? Oh thats right cause muslims are fanatic nutjobs who will blow you up if you insult their religion...

I agree. People burn Bibles and Torahs and show it on TV on national remembrance days all the time. A few Qurans wouldn't hurt.

I agree. People burn Bibles and Torahs and show it on TV on national remembrance days all the time. A few Qurans wouldn't hurt.

Burn them all. Then burn the people in the funny hats at the "helm" of those religions who try and tell people what to do and hate and kill others so that their religion will become the most "powerful"

Well I just heard the burning was cancelled. So I'm gonna guess this was all to get some attention thrown in their general direction.

Yes, that is correct...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/us/10obama.html?_r=1&hp

Pastor Cancels Koran Burning and Plans to Meet Imam

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The pastor planning a burning of the Koran on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks said Thursday he would not go forward with the event, adding he would meet with the imam planning to build an Islamic center near ground zero.

But a deal that the pastor, Terry Jones, said that he had reached to move the Islamic center far from ground zero seems to be more vision than reality. The imam planning the center, Feisal Abdul Rauf, said in a statement that he had not spoken to Mr. Jones or Muhammad Musri, the Orlando Imam who has been acting as a mediator between New York and Gainesville.

The pastor's announcement came after a growing chorus of demands, from President Obama to religious leaders, American generals and others, that he cancel the event planned for Saturday because of the potential impact on Christian-Muslim relations and the effect a Koran burning would have on American troops fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. Earlier in the day, President Obama said that the pastor's plan to burn the Koran on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was a “stunt” that violates American principles of religious tolerance.

“If he’s listening, I just hope he understands that what he’s proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans,” Mr. Obama said in an interview shown Thursday on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” referring to to Mr. Jones.

The pastor's announcement that he was canceling the Koran burning was the latest twist in a series of events that had propelled Mr. Jones to worldwide notoriety and raised deeper concerns about festering extremism in the United States.

And more surprising than the announced cancellation of the burning was the pastor's allusions to an agreement with the imam. But details of any agreement remained elusive.

Even Mr. Masri, after praising Mr. Jones for terminating his plans, contradicted the mustachioed Pentecostal pastor noting he had not brokered a deal but rather a meeting.

“The Imam committed to meet with us but did not commit to moving the mosque yet,” he said. Those sentiments were echoed by the statement issued by the imam.

"I am glad that Pastor Jones has decided not to burn any Qurans. However, I have not spoken to Pastor Jones," the statement said. "I am surprised by their announcement. We are not going to toy with our religion or any other. Nor are we going to barter. We are here to extend our hands to build peace and harmony."

In Mr. Obama's remarks earlier, he said that the Koran burning would be a “recruitment bonanza for Al Qaeda” and other terrorist groups looking for people willing to “blow themselves up” in American or European cities.

Mr. Obama is the strongest voice so far among a long list of prominent political and religious leader who have condemned Mr. Jones’s plan. General David H. Petraeus, the American commander in Afghanistan, said this week that the burning would put American troops there directly in harm’s way, a warning echoed by the F.B.I., which has said that Islamic extremists would likely retaliate.

The reaction in the Muslim world, many Islamic experts said, could be as bad, or perhaps even worse, than the reaction after a Danish newspaper published a cartoon in 2005 depicting the prophet Mohammad with his turban turning into a bomb. The cartoon ignited huge protests around the Muslim world. The United States stayed largely out of the controversy, with riots and burnings directed toward Danish and European entities. But a burning of the Koran — Islam’s most sacred text — in Florida would unleash that anger directly at the United States, Muslim scholars warned.

The pastor, in his remarks Thursday afternoon. said that despite his decision to cancel an event that had garnered worldwide publicity, he was happy with how things had turned out.

"We have at this time no regrets," said the pastor, who heads the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainvesville. "We feel we have accomplished our goal. We are very very happy with the outcome."

Earlier in the day, Mr. Jones said he was praying for guidance about his plan, something Mr. Obama appeared to allude to.

“He says he’s someone who is motivated by his faith,” Mr. Obama said. “I hope he listens to those better angels and understands that this is a destructive act that he’s engaging in.”

why are people such pussies? big deal.. burn that shit on TV!

Crying like little spineless twats.. but they burn he american flag and shit like that and show it on tv all the time.. They should make a youtube video of them burning the quran and then pissing out the fire..

Obama can suck it..

PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF OUR CITIZENS AND TROOPS DONT INSULT THE MUSLIMS OR DRAW PICS OF MUHAMAEDRAGHEAD................

Oh noes they are going to set off bombs and recruit al-quada wordwide to bomb us.... These politicians are so out of control.... They are letting the muslims have this image of being big bullies when they are just a bunch of dirty smelly no showering douche bags... They cant even build bombs right without blowing themselves up first or sinking the boat and then coming back with a bigger boat..

America has really become soft... This country has gone to shit

I hate religion and muslims even more than ever now.. I call for nationwide desecration of muslim books!

Everyone go out and make a youtube vid of you taking a crap on the quaran!

Hey while we're at it,lets take a crap on the holy bible and burn it too.that'll make things better. :P

Well technically it has been done already: some exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum a few years back called 'sensation' had a crucifix in a jar of urine and a badly drawn picture of the virgin mary with dung on it.

I say let this 'pastor' burn the books.

But I will ask: why are Muslims are so 'sensitive' to desecration of their religion while they don't give a damn about our rights or wishes? Like this mosque near ground zero. All the imam has to do is move the location. It's not like they can't build one in the city, just don't build it in that vicinity.

Well technically it has been done already: some exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum a few years back called 'sensation' had a crucifix in a jar of urine and a badly drawn picture of the virgin mary with dung on it.

I say let this 'pastor' burn the books.

But I will ask: why are Muslims are so 'sensitive' to desecration of their religion while they don't give a damn about our rights or wishes? Like this mosque near ground zero. All the imam has to do is move the location. It's not like they can't build one in the city, just don't build it in that vicinity.

Where can the imam move the mosque?most americans don't like the muslims and their religion.

Where can the imam move the mosque?most americans don't like the muslims and their religion.

There are plenty of mosques around the city that people didnt protest during the construction/occupation...

Donald Trump has a great idea to buy the building from these people at a 25% profit to them as long as they dont build anotherone within a 5 block radius of ground zero..

The Imam rejected Trumps offer so you know what these muslims are really about..

Taunting and annyoing Americans..

There are plenty of mosques around the city that people didnt protest during the construction/occupation...

Donald Trump has a great idea to buy the building from these people at a 25% profit to them as long as they dont build anotherone within a 5 block radius of ground zero..

The Imam rejected Trumps offer so you know what these muslims are really about..

I meant to say this the other day, but I forgot. Can you please not post in CAPS. A few words or a small phrase are ok, but that is all.

No offense but I'd probably reject an offer from that guy myself. He seems like a total douche.

I guarantee you that tomorrow people will protest the Islamic community center near Ground Zero (I even got an event invitation about it on Facebook smfh), and if worst comes to worst a riot could break out. It's so amazing how people care about this "issue" so much as if it prevents from living their own life normally, yet a week from when it opens no one's gonna care anymore because the media is going to stop reporting on it and no one's gonna remember.

And just what "message" are you really trying to send by burning Qu'rans on 9/11?

I guarantee you that tomorrow people will protest the Islamic community center near Ground Zero (I even got an event invitation about it on Facebook smfh), and if worst comes to worst a riot could break out. It's so amazing how people care about this "issue" so much as if it prevents from living their own life normally, yet a week from when it opens no one's gonna care anymore because the media is going to stop reporting on it and no one's gonna remember.

And just what "message" are you really trying to send by burning Qu'rans on 9/11?

So let me get this straight, a bunch of people are gonna show up in my neck of the woods with picket signs, hateful chants, bottles of whisky and make asses of themselves over a building. And we're complaining about this? we should be breaking out our video cams to be on scene recording the chaos then post it on youtube so we can watch it eat popcorn and laugh at how stupid they are.

So let me get this straight, a bunch of people are gonna show up in my neck of the woods with picket signs, hateful chants, bottles of whisky and make asses of themselves over a building. And we're complaining about this? we should be breaking out our video cams to be on scene recording the chaos then post it on youtube so we can watch it eat popcorn and laugh at how stupid they are.

There wont be any chaos/riots.. Thhese type of people have no nerve.. Most of the people protesting FOR the mosque will be dirty hippies/hipsters and mostly brown nosing whites and some muslims.. The people opposing it will just be people who like to make noise but wont do anything physically..

Archived