Old pics of New York City

bigrene18

maybe its cuz im from the suburbs but I like the current Times Square, the old one was a disaster, you took your life in your own hands there, the 42nd St Port Authority station used to be one of the most dangerous in the system. That was the best thing to be done was clean up times square and make its safer for city residents and tourists alike, i wish they would come in and clean every neighborhood and make it safe

maybe its cuz im from the suburbs but I like the current Times Square, the old one was a disaster, you took your life in your own hands there, the 42nd St Port Authority station used to be one of the most dangerous in the system. That was the best thing to be done was clean up times square and make its safer for city residents and tourists alike, i wish they would come in and clean every neighborhood and make it safe

If they do, neither you nor I nor any other not rich person will be able to live here.

The Times Square of the 50's had character, during the 70's it declined and those who remember the "peep show alley days" and closed down theatres do remember it was a neighborhood in need of revival.

But they bastardized the shit out of it when they turned it into the glitz and glamour jumbotron tourist capital it is today.

If they do, neither you nor I nor any other not rich person will be able to live here.

The Times Square of the 50's had character, during the 70's it declined and those who remember the "peep show alley days" and closed down theatres do remember it was a neighborhood in need of revival.

But they bastardized the shit out of it when they turned it into the glitz and glamour jumbotron tourist capital it is today.

they don't have to go that far, but at least bring it up to levittown or better level of safeness, or even like baldwin level of safeness

The peep shows are back.

Crime is back up.

The City is not as safe as Bloomy and Popeye would like you to believe.

Agreed, but the peep shows never left. They just moved off 42nd (to Broadway) and now the folks that stand outside trying to get people to go in dress real nice and the building has an expensive marquee over it.

What was that saying about lipstick on a pig again?

Only thing is when New York puts on lipstick, things get expensive.

inthe 5th pic where is that

Polo Grounds Stadium in Manhattan.

and what bridges are those

1.) Washington Bridge (It's not the Alexander Hamilton Bridge as that bridge was built in the late 50's/early 60's and opened in 1963).

2.) The High Bridge (5 of the original arches across the Harlem River were replaced by a single steel span arch in the late 1920's).

3.) The bridge near the lower right corner is where the IRT 9th Avenue El crosses the Harlem River and into The Bronx.

• 1 month later...

Archived