From the archive, back in time: NINETEEN EIGHTY THREE

SubwayGuy

The dude with a cane is pimpin!

I'm interested to know what "Next Showing Will Be" is all about.

The photo was taken next to the Transit Museum's screening room, where the gift shop used to be (where the money exhibit is now). The "next showing will be" refers to the schedule for whatever was being shown in the screening room at that time.

Honeymooners reruns?

• 2 weeks later...
70(EE): via the 60 St tunnel and the Broadway Local, I guess?

Take a look at this map.

The 70(EE) didn't reach Jamaica, terminating at 71st-Continental Avenues in Forest Hills, but then as now, riders can get from Jamaica to Whitehall. Today a rider can take an (F) to Roosevelt Avenue to the (R); an (E) to Queens Plaza to the (R) or a (J) to Myrtle to the (M) to Herald Square-34th Street Street to the (R).

Wasn't it pretty much like the (R) to 179 Street but cut back to Whitehall Street? There was no switching to local tracks then.

Yes. :P From Monday November 27, 1967 to Friday August 27, 1976, Queens Boulevard was 70(EE) local 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Whitehall (Weekdays Normal Hours); 70(GG) 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Church Avenue and 70(E) express 179th Street to Euclid Avenue or Beach 116th Street and 70(F) express 179th Street to Coney Island via Culver.

One difference then was the 70(E) ran express 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Queens Plaza at all times and weekdays rush hours ran express on Eighth Avenue as well. Weekdays during Normal Hours, the 70(F) ran express from 179th Street to 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue and at all times from 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Queens Plaza and weekdays rush hours ran express Jay Street-Borough Hall to Church Avenue and peak direction Church Avenue to 18th Avenue as well. The 70(GG) was the 24/7 Queens Boulevard Local.

The 70(E) stopped at 50th Street-Eighth Avenue; the 70(EE) stopped at 49th Street-Seventh Avenue.

Yes. ;) From Monday November 27, 1967 to Friday August 27, 1976, Queens Boulevard was 70(EE) local 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Whitehall (Weekdays Normal Hours); 70(GG) 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Church Avenue and 70(E) express 179th Street to Euclid Avenue or Beach 116th Street and 70(F) express 179th Street to Coney Island via Culver.

One difference then was the 70(E) ran express 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Queens Plaza at all times and weekdays rush hours ran express on Eighth Avenue as well. Weekdays during Normal Hours, the 70(F) ran express from 179th Street to 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue and at all times from 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Queens Plaza and weekdays rush hours ran express Jay Street-Borough Hall to Church Avenue and peak direction Church Avenue to 18th Avenue as well. The 70(GG) was the 24/7 Queens Boulevard Local.

The 70(E) stopped at 50th Street-Eighth Avenue; the 70(EE) stopped at 49th Street-Seventh Avenue.

The EE was replaced by the N Sea Beach Express that was extended from 57th St to Continental. I believe the N originally ran to FH weekdays only until the time the G terminated at Court Square which necessitated running the N to FH on weekends (but not late nights). At some point in the 90's I believe, the N & R switched their Queens terminals as the then R from 95th St to Astoria had no train yard at either terminal while the then N from CI to FH had one at both terminals.

The EE was replaced by the N Sea Beach Express that was extended from 57th St to Continental. I believe the N originally ran to FH weekdays only until the time the G terminated at Court Square which necessitated running the N to FH on weekends (but not late nights). At some point in the 90's I believe, the N & R switched their Queens terminals as the then R from 95th St to Astoria had no train yard at either terminal while the then N from CI to FH had one at both terminals.

The (N) and the (R) trains switched Queens terminals in 1987. The (G) terminated at Queens Plaza during late nights and operated to Continental Avenue all other times when the (N) ran there on weekdays. When the (R) took over for the (N) in 1987, it initially ran 24/7 from Continental and the (G) was reduced to weekdays-only and terminated at Queens Plaza other times.

Archived