Should the Bx7,10 or 20 be extended to Getty Square

uptown164

Should the Bx7,10 or 20 be extended to go to yonkers getty square?

I think the every other Bx7 trip should go to Yonkers and every late night trip on the Bx10.

Uptown welcome aboard. Not trying to sound rde to you but this is a topic that been discussed alot in the recent past.

A couple of years back right before the economic crisis in 2007, the (MTA) proposed extending the BX7 and BX10 to the Ludlow MNRR station in South Yonkers. That was planned was scrapped due to the current crisis.

Of the (MTA) bus routes IMO only maybe the BX20 or BX10 makes the most sense to extend to Getty Sq. The BX-7 is already a 1-hour route(longer with traffic)between 168th St/CPB Hosptial and 262/Riverdale.

I do think the u-turn for both the BX9 (Broadway/263rd)and BX7/10(Riverdale Ave/263)needs to be addressed.

Honestly I don't think there enough ridership on Riverdale Ave to run it 24/7 between the (1) train and Yonkers. Almost all of the possible ridership for a succesful Getty Sq.-(1)subway connection is on Broadway.

If anything, being realistic the only way there be 24/7 service between Yonkers and the Bronx subways is a (MTA) take-over of the Westchester Bee Line. Or increased funding from the state, along with new agreements with Transit unions TWU and ATU. The best solution IMO is the following.

1)Run Hourly service on the Bee Line #2 between Tudor Woods and 242nd St (1) subway.

2)Run Hourly overnight service on the #20 at least between Tuchaoe Rd and Bedford Park.

3)Extend the BX10 to the Ludlow Station.

well if the takeover is really going to happen they would probably make the #20 an 24/7 route but i think something should connect the Bronx and yonkers 24 hours a day wouldnt really matter if it was hourly late at night. As far as the BX10 going to Ludlow i dont really know too much about that but anything going to a Metro north station would be useful. And you are right about all the ridership being on Broadway for getty square but i still think there is a need for a 24 hr connection of some sort.

well if the takeover is really going to happen they would probably make the #20 an 24/7 route but i think something should connect the Bronx and yonkers 24 hours a day wouldnt really matter if it was hourly late at night. As far as the BX10 going to Ludlow i dont really know too much about that but anything going to a Metro north station would be useful. And you are right about all the ridership being on Broadway for getty square but i still think there is a need for a 24 hr connection of some sort.

I agree 100% that should be a 24/7 bus line between Getty Sq. and Riverdale.

No doubt part of the reason for no owl service is politics/union issues and money.

In earlier discussions on this topic I did suggest extend the BX9 to Getty Sq. After riding it in last few years several times, it's not a good idea unless it was shortened to say Fordham Plaza.

BX9 deals with riders from 1)Queens riders via Q44 transfer 2)Bronx Zoo 3)Fordham 4)Kingsbridge Rd/Bronx VA Medical Center 5)Riders riding it along Bway between City line and (1) train.

The #2 serves the most populated areas of the West Side and Downtown Yonkers and thus the reason I proposed it be run 24/7.

While extending the BX10 to Ludlow provides the busiest portion of Riverdale Ave. a 24/7 bus connection between South Yonkers/City line and the 231st St (1) station.

Just my takes.

No doubt part of the reason for no owl service is politics/union issues and money.

In earlier discussions on this topic I did suggest extend the BX9 to Getty Sq. After riding it in last few years several times, it's not a good idea unless it was shortened to say Fordham Plaza.

BX9 deals with riders from 1)Queens riders via Q44 transfer 2)Bronx Zoo 3)Fordham 4)Kingsbridge Rd/Bronx VA Medical Center 5)Riders riding it along Bway between City line and (1) train.

The #2 serves the most populated areas of the West Side and Downtown Yonkers and thus the reason I proposed it be run 24/7.

While extending the BX10 to Ludlow provides the busiest portion of Riverdale Ave. a 24/7 bus connection between South Yonkers/City line and the 231st St (1) station.

Just my takes.

Agreed same reasons why i didnt say extend the Bx9 but there is enough day time service from the bee-line 1 and 2 jus nothing for late night

but i think something should connect the Bronx and yonkers 24 hours a day wouldnt really matter if it was hourly late at night.

Like I directed to shortline many times before, I still don't see why this has to be the MTA's responsibility....

I mean, yes, there are a significant amt. of people that travel b/w NYC & Yonkers... and in-turn, those people are well accounted for w/ the bee line routes that take you from yonkers, to the (1)....

if you notice, ppl that are getting off bee line buses @ 242nd st, very few of them xfer for the Bx9.... and as for extending the Bx7 & 10, do you really think people would be willing to embark on a route that crawls through the more hilly part of riverdale during the day, just to get to the subway (or wherever else w/i NYC they have to get to)?

if the notion is to extend those same two routes up there, due to the fact that bee-line stops running after a certain time... well, all I got to say to that is, having a route extended into another county outside of NYC for the sake of having SOME nightly service b/w the two points just aint happenin.... doesn't even make sense for the MTA to bother goin through w/ that, when MNRR is right there...

The only thing I would propose regarding this, is the expansion of the service span of the BL-1 (no letters, just the one that runs from city line to 242nd).... have a short-turn of that route stop dead @ Getty Sq, if need be....

Like I directed to shortline many times before, I still don't see why this has to be the MTA's responsibility....

I mean, yes, there are a significant amt. of people that travel b/w NYC & Yonkers... and in-turn, those people are well accounted for w/ the bee line routes that take you from yonkers, to the (1)....

if you notice, ppl that are getting off bee line buses @ 242nd st, very few of them xfer for the Bx9.... and as for extending the Bx7 & 10, do you really think people would be willing to embark on a route that crawls through the more hilly part of riverdale during the day, just to get to the subway (or wherever else w/i NYC they have to get to)?

if the notion is to extend those same two routes up there, due to the fact that bee-line stops running after a certain time... well, all I got to say to that is, having a route extended into another county outside of NYC for the sake of having SOME nightly service b/w the two points just aint happenin.... doesn't even make sense for the MTA to bother goin through w/ that, when MNRR is right there...

The only thing I would propose regarding this, is the expansion of the service span of the BL-1 (no letters, just the one that runs from city line to 242nd).... have a short-turn of that route stop dead @ Getty Sq, if need be....

good point bro. Either the BL-1 or BL-2 with hourly headways is fine if ever get to that point. So B35 is more of the ridership on Washbourn Ave on the #1 or going to Tudor Woods?

I say the #2 since many of the housing projects are in that area of Downtown Yonkers/West Side.

good point bro. Either the BL-1 or BL-2 with hourly headways is fine if ever get to that point. So B35 is more of the ridership on Washbourn Ave on the #1 or going to Tudor Woods?

I say the #2 since many of the housing projects are in that area of Downtown Yonkers/West Side.

that's just it, bro....

w/i westchester, I'd also say the 2 (the tudor woods route) picks up more - whilst in yonkers....

the 1c/t/w gets most of its riders @ 242nd itself...

ridership along warburton isn't all that great...

that's just it, bro....

w/i westchester, I'd also say the 2 (the tudor woods route) picks up more - whilst in yonkers....

ridership along warburton isn't all that great...[/QUOT

2 and plus it already runs more frequent than the 1

Should the Bx7,10 or 20 be extended to go to yonkers getty square?

I think the every other Bx7 trip should go to Yonkers and every late night trip on the Bx10.

Bx7-No

Bx10-Maybe

Bx20-No

I'd extend the Bx9 to Getty Square so it can't make the illegal u-turn it makes at Broadway. As for the Bx7 and 10, I'm kind of on the fence about that

that's just it, bro....

ridership along warburton isn't all that great...

A little o/t, what irks me sometimes is that it doesn't fly up Warburton when there's clearly nobody wating for it

Bx7-No

Bx10-Maybe

Bx20-No

I'd extend the Bx9 to Getty Square so it can't make the illegal u-turn it makes at Broadway. As for the Bx7 and 10, I'm kind of on the fence about that

they all make illegal u turns there is just less traffic on Riverdale Av lol

This is the issue that I feel like has been brought up here a lot

the "illegal u-turns" are fine. Never heard of an accident from them. NIMBYs don't want the buses using the side streets to turn around as well.

As for the extensions none of the Riverdale routes will work as the Bx7 and Bx9 are too long as is, the Bx10 is unreliable and can't afford anymore added turns or run time and if the Bx20 overlaps either the 7 or 10 anymore than it already does the TA is really just going to cut it. Another issue with late nights is that all of those routes are dead in Riverdale after 11 (231 st routes) or 1am for the Bx9. Bx10 24/7 service barely survived the cuts and a good portion of the runs don't go outside Riverdale.

A little o/t, what irks me sometimes is that it doesn't fly up Warburton when there's clearly nobody wating for it

The Yonkers city speed limit is 30 MPH. I'm not sure if it is higher on Warburton or not. I'm not sure of the limit in the town of Greenburgh either.

I remember the 5 would not fly on Saw Mill River Road in Yonkers either.

How it is Posibble that the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 extended to Getty Square in Yonker?

Continue up Riverdale Avenue, and return via the same. If it's .done, it should be done in combination with converting the Bee-Line 8 and 45 into a cross-county route.

I could only support extending the 10 though, as the 7 is too long.

Continue up Riverdale Avenue, and return via the same. If it's .done, it should be done in combination with converting the Bee-Line 8 and 45 into a cross-county route.

I could only support extending the 10 though, as the 7 is too long.

Agreed. To avoid the dangerous u-turn the BX7 could be extended to the Ludlow MNRR station while the BX10 could run to Getty Sq.

However realistic in the future, I think the BX7/10 will end up terminating at Ludlow while either the Bee Line #1 or #2 or a new route run by(NYCT) operates along Bway. between the 242nd St. (1)station and Getty Sq. will be what will occur.

I think the Bx7 should go to Yonkers. The Bx10 and Bx20 have a very clumsy Spuyten Duyvil portion that takes time, which the Bx7 skips. I would argue that the Bx7 could handle the few extra minutes it requires to go to Getty Square.

As for the Bx20, it's kind of pointless, anyway.

But doesn't the #1 already go between 242nd Street and Getty Square?

Yes. What Uptown primary question/sugestion was that why is there not a 24/7 aka overnight service between Getty Sq/Yonkers and the Bronx(either to the (1)station or Bedford Park (D)(4) station either via Riverdale Ave. McClean or Broadway?

The Bee Line(W-1) and (W-2)runs until Midnight weekdays, 11pm Saturdays and 8pm Sundays between 242 and Getty Sq. The #8 runs Monday-Fridays I believe until 9pm and Saturdays until 8pm..

While there is no service at all on Thanksgiving and Christmas Days.

Yes. What Uptown primary question/sugestion was that why is there not a 24/7 aka overnight service between Getty Sq/Yonkers and the Bronx(either to the (1)station or Bedford Park (D)(4) station either via Riverdale Ave. McClean or Broadway?

The Bee Line(W-1) and (W-2)runs until Midnight weekdays, 11pm Saturdays and 8pm Sundays between 242 and Getty Sq. The #8 runs Monday-Fridays I believe until 9pm and Saturdays until 8pm..

While there is no service at all on Thanksgiving and Christmas Days.

I think it something that should defiantly be considered by Bee-line or the MTA

Archived