Elizabeth, And Newark (NJ Transit POV)

N-Trizzy2609

Welcome to the NJ Transit side of Elizabeth, NJ. Great action and great K5LAs (With a few AA-2 too). Excuse some of the photos as this is not my camera. My camera was getting fixed.

The original CNJ Raritan Valley Line station at Elizabeth.

036-6.jpg

:njc: to NY.

037-1.jpg

Overly zoomed photo of ALP-46A 4647

041-6.jpg

:nec: Express to Trenton.

048-11.jpg

:njc: Long Branch Local.

052-7.jpg

:nec: 7600 Series train from Rahway.

061-6.jpg

ALP-46A 4631 on the :njc: to NY.

065-6.jpg

:ac: yard move.

072-5.jpg

:nec: Express going about 90 mph.

073-3.jpg

:nec: Local to Trenton

081-3.jpg

083-1.jpg

Newark Penn

ALP-46A #4646 trails a :njc: train.

090-3.jpg

Newark Broad Street

101-1.jpg

103-2.jpg

104-2.jpg

Nice photos.

Note the right of way for the old CNJ line is preserved for quite a distance.

Just a heads up, NJT rail operations has no train operators, that's the bus/LRV operations. NJT rail has federally licensed engineers. Never refer to an engineer as a train operator, it's insulting, it takes years of studying routes and classroom and walking the tracks and riding in the cab to qualify on all of (NJT)'s possible moves. As a good friend of mine said, a T/O for (MTA) who i see on (NJT) all the time, T/O is a job/career, engineer is a way of life. And, you think a 12/9 is bad at 30-50 mph, try 80-135.

If a train is acting up it could be any number of things, stuck brake, bad yaw damper on a truck, funky air behavior, door indicator malfunction causing slow acceleration etc. Also, the heavy main line rail equipment is far more heavy (weight) and procedures and mechanisms are different. For instance, if the train is having locomotive push and the cab car has fresh brakes and the other cars have worn in brakes, it will cause the cars in between the cab & loco move together causing some noise and drama but is totally normal, normally the loco has a much higher braking capability, and usually, if they are coming in hot they will put the loco brakes on full first with plenty of sand and traction control working to maintain adhesion then let the railcar brakes slow it completely since there are usually far more braking axles unless it's just one car which isn't typical.

The arrow 3 multiple units work a bit differently since every car is providing traction, when they hit the brakes they can put on dynamic brakes to take the edge off then use air brakes to slow it 100%. In an emergency overhead line power out situation, the dynamic brakes can provide HEP till about 2-3 mph.

- A

Just a heads up, NJT rail operations has no train operators, that's the bus/LRV operations. NJT rail has federally licensed engineers. Never refer to an engineer as a train operator, it's insulting, it takes years of studying routes and classroom and walking the tracks and riding in the cab to qualify on all of (NJT)'s possible moves. As a good friend of mine said, a T/O for (MTA) who i see on (NJT) all the time, T/O is a job/career, engineer is a way of life. And, you think a 12/9 is bad at 30-50 mph, try 80-135.

If a train is acting up it could be any number of things, stuck brake, bad yaw damper on a truck, funky air behavior, door indicator malfunction causing slow acceleration etc. Also, the heavy main line rail equipment is far more heavy (weight) and procedures and mechanisms are different. For instance, if the train is having locomotive push and the cab car has fresh brakes and the other cars have worn in brakes, it will cause the cars in between the cab & loco move together causing some noise and drama but is totally normal, normally the loco has a much higher braking capability, and usually, if they are coming in hot they will put the loco brakes on full first with plenty of sand and traction control working to maintain adhesion then let the railcar brakes slow it completely since there are usually far more braking axles unless it's just one car which isn't typical.

- A

Excuse the T/O-Engineer misconception but no Andy, I think it was something mechanical. Ask Mark1447, he was on the train with me, the train keep jerking and bucking everytime it pulled in and out of a station. You had to see the amount of horn he used to enter stations. A bit too horn happy. And whenever the train released it's brake it typical normal to see it goes a few inches backwards. This train was going FEET backwards before it jerk and buck forward. All the equipment was fine cept a small flat spot on the wheel of my Comet IV. Comet V 6037 was leading and a brand new ALP-46A the only thing I can think of is either the engineer was new or training, or EVERY Comet on the train just decide to jerk and buck. OMG, when he hit the brakes coming into the airport some people who were standing did get knocked a bit tipsy.

Excuse the T/O-Engineer misconception but no Andy, I think it was something mechanical. Ask Mark1447, he was on the train with me, the train keep jerking and bucking everytime it pulled in and out of a station. You had to see the amount of horn he used to enter stations. A bit too horn happy. And whenever the train released it's brake it typical normal to see it goes a few inches backwards. This train was going FEET backwards before it jerk and buck forward. All the equipment was fine cept a small flat spot on the wheel of my Comet IV. Comet V 6037 was leading and a brand new ALP-46A the only thing I can think of is either the engineer was new or training, or EVERY Comet on the train just decide to jerk and buck. OMG, when he hit the brakes coming into the airport some people who were standing did get knocked a bit tipsy.

Mmmm, only thing i can think of is that 4647 has been having some issues, when it was testing it dumped the air going through secaucus at 95 mph. I think the brake controller must have been funked up on its over-sea journey or something. As far as feet backwards, i've been on trains that drifted up to 15 feet back, i was told by the engineer when he got out at newark to go on break (swapped out with new) that he did that to let the brakes release completely before accelerating. I've also been on trains where the slack in the cars kept playing out then bunching up somewhat jarringly.

Keep in mind that railcars can have different wear levels on the brakes and wheel treads so the retarding force of the brakes come in at different times.

You should ride a bit more frequently i think. ;)

- A

• 3 weeks later...
Especially through Elizabeth where there is a SEVERE speed restriction, down to about 50mph, IIRC.

They re-aligned the tracks, so it's more like 55 on 1 and 4, and more like 65 on 2 and 3. It used to be 45 for all 4 based on what i've read online, this was before the re-alignment & before the tie replacement & superelevation on 2 and 3.

- A

Archived