Hot Stove MLB News Off season 2010-11

Shortline Bus

Well, officially, it's the Nationals, but 70(EE) remembers the Senators and the red caps with the cursive capital W of 1969-1971 (and the early Texas Rangers of 1972). But hey, Senators, Nationals, Nats. This edition of Washington, D.C. baseball was the Montreal Expos (1969-2004).

The Tampa Bay Rays, in the mode of retooling the next few seasons, have traded Pitcher Matt Garza, minor league outfielder Fernando Perez, and a minor league pitcher to the Chicago Cubs for Pitcher Chris Archer, Outfielder Brandon Guyer, Catcher Robinson Chirinos, Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee, and Outfielder Sam Fuld, pending physicals.

Matt Garza, 27, is coming off his best season, 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA for the Rays in 2009.

Major League Baseball To Open On Thursday March 31, 2011:

For the first time since 1976, Major League Baseball will open on a Thursday.

There are now six games scheduled for Opening Day Thursday March 31, 2011:

The Reds will host the Brewers;

The Senators will host the Braves;

The Royals will host the Angels;

The Yankees will host the Tigers (ESPN);

The Cardinals will host the Padres (ESPN);

The Dodgers will host the Giants (ESPN).

THEY BROUGHT BACK THE SENATORS? :(

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tampa Bay Rays, in the mode of retooling the next few seasons, have traded Pitcher Matt Garza, minor league outfielder Fernando Perez, and a minor league pitcher to the Chicago Cubs for Pitcher Chris Archer, Outfielder Brandon Guyer, Catcher Robinson Chirinos, Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee, and Outfielder Sam Fuld, pending physicals.

Matt Garza, 27, is coming off his best season, 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA for the Rays in 2009.

Major League Baseball To Open On Thursday March 31, 2011:

For the first time since 1976, Major League Baseball will open on a Thursday.

There are now six games scheduled for Opening Day Thursday March 31, 2011:

The Reds will host the Brewers;

The Senators will host the Braves;

The Royals will host the Angels;

The Yankees will host the Tigers (ESPN);

The Cardinals will host the Padres (ESPN);

The Dodgers will host the Giants (ESPN).

I am not surprised the Rays traded Garza and thus a 'salary dump' assuming this trade gets done. I am surprised they would not wait until this July '11 to do so around the trading deadline and get even more prospects/draft picks.

The Cubs are now joining the Brewers in trying to challenge the Reds in NL Central. It's still early but the Cards the regular winners of that division for the last decade or so could in worst case scenrio finish in 4th place this upcoming season.

Await someone to suggest why the Yanks did not try to get Garza? I don't think Tampa wanted to trade a young stud #2 starter on a playoff contender (or #1 on many other teams)in the same division?:eek:

Some news around the Hot Stove:

- The Tigers and RHP Brad Penny are closer to signing a one year deal.

- Former Pirates/Mets/Orioles/Rangers/Diamondbacks RHP Kris Benson has announced his retirement. Benson had a career ERA of 4.42, 70 wins and 75 losses, struck out 806 batters in 1243.2 innings, and pitched 206 games (200 starts, 6 games in relief for the Rangers in 2009). Benson had been hampered by injuries throughout his entire career, so it's not much of a suprise to learn that his best year was in 2000 with Pittsburgh.

- The Reds signed SS Edgar Renteria to a one year, $2.1 million deal, and LF Fred Lewis to a minor league deal.

- OF Carlos Gonzalez and the Colorado Rockies agreed to a seven year, $80.5 million deal.

- The Mariners have signed IF Adam Kennedy to a minor league deal.

Sad to hear Dallas Green's granddaughter was killed. Of strange coincidence, she was born on September 11, 2001.

Some news around the Hot Stove:

- The Tigers and RHP Brad Penny are closer to signing a one year deal.

- Former Pirates/Mets/Orioles/Rangers/Diamondbacks RHP Kris Benson has announced his retirement. Benson had a career ERA of 4.42, 70 wins and 75 losses, struck out 806 batters in 1243.2 innings, and pitched 206 games (200 starts, 6 games in relief for the Rangers in 2009). Benson had been hampered by injuries throughout his entire career, so it's not much of a suprise to learn that his best year was in 2000 with Pittsburgh.

- The Reds signed SS Edgar Renteria to a one year, $2.1 million deal, and LF Fred Lewis to a minor league deal.

- OF Carlos Gonzalez and the Colorado Rockies agreed to a seven year, $80.5 million deal.

- The Mariners have signed IF Adam Kennedy to a minor league deal.

Sad to hear Dallas Green's granddaughter was killed. Of strange coincidence, she was born on September 11, 2001.

Joining Mr. Benson as a former MLB player and also retiring is all time saves leader Trevor Hoffman. So guys is Hoffman a Hall of Famer?IMO he will get in based on the stats, but IMO he not a "HOF."

How are you Yankees fans taking the news about "Andy"

He will leave a huge hole to fill in the rotation in my opinion.

he isn't coming back, it's about a month to go before pitchers

and catchers report.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/01/12/2011-01-12_brian_cashman_says_yankees_still_unclear_on_whether_andy_pettitte_will_retire_or.html

How are you Yankees fans taking the news about "Andy"

He will leave a huge hole to fill in the rotation in my opinion.

he isn't coming back, it's about a month to go before pitchers

and catchers report.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/01/12/2011-01-12_brian_cashman_says_yankees_still_unclear_on_whether_andy_pettitte_will_retire_or.html

I think "Andy' will do a Bret Favre (without all of the drama he created)and make his 'final decision' on March 1 on his future. I do think the rumors are true and that his wife wants him to retire.

Good signing by the Yankees with Soriano, Mo is far from finished of course but he is a solid set up man, so their bullpen is set. Now they have to work on the back end

of their starting rotation.

As i stated before, the Yanks will now focus on getting a Pitcher assuming Andy returns. Cashman will try to get a pitcher in June/July at the trading deadline as teams would then fall out of playoff contention.

As i stated before, the Yanks will now focus on getting a Pitcher assuming Andy returns. Cashman will try to get a pitcher in June/July at the trading deadline as teams would then fall out of playoff contention.

But what if the Yankees fall out of contention during the mid season.....just saying....

My best wishes to Andy and thanks for a wonderful career. Great that he retires as a Yankee.

Right now we have C.C. and Phil Hughes and I'm not sure who else.

Paul it still not offical yet. As i stated he probably not sure yet himself and thus will make a last minute decision around March 1 when camp opens.:confused:

We're nearly set on the new look of Major League Baseball:

• 162 game regular season

* 18 game Interleage schedule

• 3 Division Winners, Second Place Team with best record, Second place team with second best record qualify

* In the event of a tie on final day, one game playoff to determine winner

• New American League and National League Preliminary Division Series

* ALPDS NLPDS between Second Place team with best record vs. Second Place team with second best record

(To be determined - one game elimination or best of three game series)

• American League and National League Division Series

* Similiar format, but can include Second Place team with second best record

(To be determined - best of five or best of seven)

• American League National League Championship Series

(No changes)

• World Series

(No Changes)

Ok, assuming there are no ties and the new LPDS is a one game elimination, this should make September more interesting first and the LDS second.

Either win your division outright or one of the top two Second Place positions outright.

Assuming a one game elimination, while the two Second Place teams are playing, (and assuming no ties on closing day), the three divison winners will have (I think) three days between the closing day of the season and the LDS to set up pitching staffs.

If Major League Baseball goes with a best of three, (assuming one travel day and no ties on closing day), the three division winners will have (I think) six days.

If the the new LPDS had been in place in 2010: the Rays (96-66), Twins (94-68) and Rangers (90-72); the Phillies (97-65), Giants (92-70), and Reds (91-71) would've been the division winners. The Yankees (95-67) and White Sox (88-74); the Braves (91-71) and Padres (90-72) would've been the WildCards.

The Yankees would've hosted the White Sox; the Braves would've hosted the Padres in the LPDS.

If the Yankees and Braves had won, the Rays would've have hosted the Twins; the Yankees would have hosted the Rangers and the Phillies would have hosted the Giants; the Braves would have hosted the Reds.

If the White Sox and Padres had won, the Rays would've hosted the Twins; the Rangers would've hosted the White Sox and the Phillies would've hosted the Giants; the Reds would've hosted the Padres.

These are based on the current forumula. There is something called strict seeding being considered with two new teams being added.

Under strict seeding, if the Yankees had won the LPDS, they would've played at the Rays while the Twins would've hosted the Rangers in the LDS.

A strict seeding formula could make for some interesting matchups in the LDS. Yankees vs Red Sox? Mets vs. Phillies? Twins vs. White Sox?

• 3 Division Winners, Second Place Team with best record, Second place team with second best record qualify

* ALPDS NLPDS between Second Place team with best record vs. Second Place team with second best record

(No changes)

• World Series

(No Changes)

Ok, assuming there are no ties and the new LPDS is a one game elimination, this should make September more interesting first and the LDS second.

Either win your division outright or one of the top two Second Place positions outright.

Assuming a one game elimination, while the two Second Place teams are playing, (and assuming no ties on closing day), the three divison winners will have (I think) three days between the closing day of the season and the LDS to set up pitching staffs.

If Major League Baseball goes with a best of three, (assuming one travel day and no ties on closing day), the three division winners will have (I think) six days.

If the the new LPDS had been in place in 2010: the Rays (96-66), Twins (94-68) and Rangers (90-72); the Phillies (97-65), Giants (92-70), and Reds (91-71) would've been the division winners. The Yankees (95-67) and White Sox (88-74); the Braves (91-71) and Padres (90-72) would've been the WildCards.

The Yankees would've hosted the White Sox; the Braves would've hosted the Padres in the LPDS.

If the Yankees and Braves had won, the Rays would've have hosted the Twins; the Yankees would have hosted the Rangers and the Phillies would have hosted the Giants; the Braves would have hosted the Reds.

If the White Sox and Padres had won, the Rays would've hosted the Twins; the Rangers would've hosted the White Sox and the Phillies would've hosted the Giants; the Reds would've hosted the Padres.

These are based on the current forumula. There is something called strict seeding being considered with two new teams being added.

Under strict seeding, if the Yankees had won the LPDS, they would've played at the Rays while the Twins would've hosted the Rangers in the LDS.

A strict seeding formula could make for some interesting matchups in the LDS. Yankees vs Red Sox? Mets vs. Phillies? Twins vs. White Sox?

I think this new playoff format is a great idea. However the regular season should be cut to 154 games (the season is too long and this is coming from a huge MLB fan)so the world series at the latest ends by Oct. 30.

Also this new first (wild card round)round or w/e it's called should just be a 1-game winner take all format. Thus the '3' division winners get a bye.

And there should be strict seeding similar to the current NFL playoff format.

The earliest this new format could start is for the 2012 season as Bud Selig already stated it's too late for this upcoming season.

I think this new playoff format is a great idea. However the regular season should be cut to 154 games (the season is too long and this is coming from a huge MLB fan)so the world series at the latest ends by Oct. 30.

I actually refer the 162 game season, though.

I actually refer the 162 game season, though.

As a huge MLB fan Goji i am sure you would. However like any other Pro sports league much of their profits comes from TV. The last few world series since 2004 have been among the lowest rated in US Television history. MLB is battling with the the NFL and start of the new tv season. Not to mention the NHL and NBA seasons starting up by the start of world series.

Until about 1961, the MLB regular season was 154 games. I suggest 154 so that the proposed wild card round of an expanded post season along with the current playoff format finishes by the end of October.

Not only for improved tv ratings but also having to play the fall classic in places like Denver and Minnesota where anytime after Oct. 15, it can snow in those locations.:eek:

Up through 1960 (American League) and 1961 (National League) the regular season was 154 games. Up through 1968 the American League and National League pennant winners went right to the World Series.

In 1956 the World Series opened on October 3d and closed on October 10th; in 1968 the World Series opened on October 2d and closed on October 10th.

In 1969 with the new League Championship Series, the World Series opened on October 11th and closed on October 16th.

Up through 1960 (American League) and 1961 (National League) the regular season was 154 games. Up through 1968 the American League and National League pennant winners went right to the World Series.

In 1956 the World Series opened on October 3d and closed on October 10th; in 1968 the World Series opened on October 2d and closed on October 10th.

In 1969 with the new League Championship Series, the World Series opened on October 11th and closed on October 16th.

Thanks for info.

(No changes)

• World Series

(No Changes)

I like the idea of a new preliminary round however I say this should be a one game playoff and whoever wins moves on, simple. The LDS should also stay as a 5 game series, lead into the LCS which stays the same and keep the World Series from going into November.

I like the idea of a new preliminary round however I say this should be a one game playoff and whoever wins moves on, simple. The LDS should also stay as a 5 game series, lead into the LCS which stays the same and keep the World Series from going into November.

Also reducing the regular season to 154 games would also be a great idea.

The problem with the current 162 game schedule is that the season starts too early i.e March 31 when the northeast/midwest can still get snow. Or ending by Nov. 2-3 when you have to compete with the NFL and start of the NHL and NBA seasons as well.

Good signing by the Yankees with Soriano, Mo is far from finished of course but he is a solid set up man, so their bullpen is set. Now they have to work on the back end

of their starting rotation.

Back to the Yanks pitching issues for the upcoming '11 season. With the Yanks getting Soriano as the main 8th inning set up (aka back up closer and heir appraent) to Rivera do they now trade Joba Chamberlain for the right deal? Joba would automatically become the closer on at least 6 teams or more i.e Mets (assuming "K-Rod" is not back), Rays, Blue Jays, Marlins, etc.

The Yankees have signed Veteran Outfielder Andruw Jones for the 2011 Season. It assumed Jones will battle for a back-up(4th outfielder)CF post.

Jones is best known for being among the youngest players to ever a HR in world series game. His famous blast came in the 1996 Series vs. the Yankees.

Not a bad move IMO.

Also media reports state that the team is leaning towards having Derek Jeter batting lead-off at least for the first half of the season. While I like Jeter, IMO at this point in his carrer he should be batting say 7th in the batting order. Bret Gardner should be the leadoff guy for the Yankees in '11? What you guys think?

Archived