Hot Stove MLB News Off season 2010-11

Shortline Bus

I like the move for the most part. He knows how to play defense and can still somewhat produce offensively. He's 33 which is a downside and with all the running around he's done in the OF, his legs and knees won't hold up much longer.

Personally, I'd love to see Gardner lead-off. He's a very exciting player to watch and he makes plays with his speed; that's exactly what we need from the guy batting first and unfortunately, Jeter doesn't give us that anymore.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the move for the most part. He knows how to play defense and can still somewhat produce offensively. He's 33 which is a downside and with all the running around he's done in the OF, his legs and knees won't hold up much longer.

Personally, I'd love to see Gardner lead-off. He's a very exciting player to watch and he makes plays with his speed; that's exactly what we need from the guy batting first and unfortunately, Jeter doesn't give us that anymore.

Good analysis R160. Also by signing Andruw Jones, it helps the Yanks in another area that was lacking last season.

A good bench.

Jones is an excellent choice for the 4th Outfielder and knowing the long season that is MLB, he will maybe start as much as 50-75 games as well playing mainly both CF and RF.

Cashman has done alright this offseason considering the Yanks lost the Lee Sweepstakes. Soriano, Feliciano, Russell Martin, and Andruw Jones are all good additions. I would like to see the Yanks trade away Joba. Here's why:

If you look at our bullpen right now, we're pretty much set.

9th: Rivera

8th: Soriano

7th: Felicano

Then you have Roberston, Marte (injured for most of season), Logan, Mitre, and Moseley. Joba has averages 8.96 K/9 and will be a middle reliever in our bullpen. His value isn't going to get any higher with the way we've handled him. Imo, he will turn into another Melky Cabrera.

Cashman has done alright this offseason considering the Yanks lost the Lee Sweepstakes. Soriano, Feliciano, Russell Martin, and Andruw Jones are all good additions. I would like to see the Yanks trade away Joba. Here's why:

If you look at our bullpen right now, we're pretty much set.

9th: Rivera

8th: Soriano

7th: Felicano

Then you have Roberston, Marte (injured for most of season), Logan, Mitre, and Moseley. Joba has averages 8.96 K/9 and will be a middle reliever in our bullpen. His value isn't going to get any higher with the way we've handled him. Imo, he will turn into another Melky Cabrera.

Correction. Hank and Hal signed Soriano not Cashman. The GM stated Soriano wanted too much money.

At this point IMO, I think Joba will be traded by no later than the trading deadline in Late July. The Yanks Bullpen is among the best in MLB when healthy. It's the starting pitching that IMO preventing from being a serious world series contender in the AL. Right now a month before camps opens, the Red Sox and Texas are the favorites to make the fall classic from the AL.

Still the Yanks should make the playoffs IMO assuming everyone stays healthy. I make my picks in middle of March.

The Toronto Blue Jays have trade CF Vernon Wells to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for C/1B/DH Mike Napoli and OF Juan Rivera.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110121&content_id=16479674&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

In other news, it appears that the Tampa Bay Rays have agreed to terms with...

DH/OF Johnny Damon for 1 year, $5.25 million + $750K bonus money based on attendance.

DH Manny Ramirez for 1 year, $2 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110121&content_id=16475434&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I have to say that Jones signing is questionable. I don't think he has anything left. If they wanted offensive production, keeping Berkman may have been better as he did show some signs of life [including that almost homer against Texas].

For Soriano, lol Hank and Hal overruling Cashman. I could care less what Cashman thinks. He would be nothing if he didn't have the Steinberners bankrolling the team. Any GM with the blank check could do a better job than him.

It's Cashman's fault for waiting too long on Lee [even though I don't think Crawford was going to help the team much].

Former Baseball Giants and Metropolitans Outfielder Willie Mays made an appearance at P.S. 46, Arthur Tappan School and he brought the Baseball Giants World Series trophy with him.

Mr. Mays delighted a packed auditorium - describing what it was like playing for the Baseball Giants and at the Polo Grounds from 1951 through 1957.

He was known for playing stickball in the streets before Baseball Giants home games.

The 1950's were a good era for New York baseball with Willie, Mickey, and the Duke.

Story and photo: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6046477

Former Baseball Giants and Metropolitans Outfielder Willie Mays made an appearance at P.S. 46, Arthur Tappan School and he brought the Baseball Giants World Series trophy with him.

Mr. Mays delighted a packed auditorium - describing what it was like playing for the Baseball Giants and at the Polo Grounds from 1951 through 1957.

He was known for playing stickball in the streets before Baseball Giants home games.

The 1950's were a good era for New York baseball with Willie, Mickey, and the Duke.

Story and photo: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6046477

So with the recent passing of Bob Feller, is Wille Mays, Stan Musial or my guess Yogi Berra, now the oldest living MLB Hall of Famer?

Maybe EE or someone else knows.:confused:

I believe the honor goes to Stan The Man (born November 21, 1920).

As you may know, Phil Cavaretta left us on December 18, 2010 at age 94. He was the Cubs' First Baseman in 1945 when the Cubs lost the World Series 4 games to 3. Like Ronnie Santo, Phil Cavaretta finished his career on the South Side with the 1954 and 1955 White Sox.

Just heard on WFAN's Mike Francesa Show that Brain Cashman stated for 1st time, that Derek Jeter could be moved to the outfield to finish his career after this season.

Cashman stated it this morning at a Yankees/WFAN Yankees Fanfest Breakfast 1/25/11. The Yankess GM made clear that Jeter will play this upcoming year at SS, no matter what and at least to start the season bat leadoff(1st). How his play after this 2011 season, will determine if and when he moved to the Outfield.

IMO i would have considered moving Jeter to the OF this year. So what you guys think? Gardner should be batting 1st and Jeter in the 6-7th spot.:eek:

Sources

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2011/01/25/brian-cashman-id-be-surprised-if-derek-jeter-stays-at-shorts/

http://WWW.WFAN.COM

Let Jeter play SS for the rest of his career, that's what I'd prefer. However, he probably shoud be moved to another spot in the lineup.

That would be nice. However almost all of the other great SS's ended their carrers at other positions. People from Ernie Banks, Robin Yount and of course Cal Ripken have all ended playing MLB in other parts of the field. Usually 1st base, 3rd Base or the Outfield. The Only great HOF Shortstop that I know of in last 20-30 years or so, who hanged up his spikes there has been Ozzie Smith.

If Jeter's skills at SS are not to par, why he should be any different?

If the Yankees have a shortstop waiting in the minors ready for the majors, then they should bump Jeter to the OF. But for now I think they have enough ppl in the OF, then again a lot can change in a year, but I don't think Jeter is entitled to end his career at SS.

Another 'aging' superstar that will probably also finish his carrer at another position. A-ROD probably as a DH and get to at least 700 homers.

have A-rod as a full time DH, and watch his IBB's at least double, per season....

Just heard on WFAN's Mike Francesa Show that Brain Cashman stated for 1st time, that Derek Jeter could be moved to the outfield to finish his career after this season.

I hope Cashman realizes that there are only 3 OF positions in major league baseball.... it isn't like the HR derby, where you have like 50 kids waiting to field failed HR attempts....

Well I can see Jeter playing one of the corner outfield spots

but not at least for another couple of years. Omar Vizquel is 43 and the oldest starting position player in the majors. Which is amazing, I think he wants to reach 3,000 hits before

he decides to retire.

Vizquel is so underrated. He's been the best defensive SS in MLB since Ozzie and easily in any argument among the greatest ever. With that said since his offensive #'s are not great he will have a hard time making the hall of fame.

Ozzie became a very good lead-off and great base stealer later in his carrer something Vizquel has never been.

New around the league:

- The Yankees have signed RHP Bartolo Colon to a $900K minor league deal. Colon had 3 wins & 6 losses and a 4.19 ERA in 62.1 innings for the ChiSox last year. He has a career 4.10 ERA and 1607 strikeouts in 2076.2 innings and a career record of 153 wins and 103 losses. Colon had his best year in 2005 for the Angels, posting a 3.48 ERA in 222.2 innings, striking out 157 batters, losing 8 games and winning 21 games.

- Former Rays and Red Sox OF Rocco Baldelli has retired. Once considered a top prospect, Baldelli had his career derailed because of channelopathy.

- The Houston Astros have signed LHP Wandy Rodriguez to a $34 million, 3 year deal.

- The Rangers acquired C/1B/DH Mike Napoli from the Blue Jays in exchange for RHP Frank Francisco.

Vizquel is so underrated. He's been the best defensive SS in MLB since Ozzie and easily in any argument among the greatest ever. With that said since his offensive #'s are not great he will have a hard time making the hall of fame.

Ozzie became a very good lead-off and great base stealer later in his carrer something Vizquel has never been.

In my opinion he will get in, he is close to 3,000 hits(201) and that achievement has been met by a select few. (27) 273 lifetime BA isn't too shabby.

He has the highest career fielding percentage of a shortstop ever(.985).

Yankees signed Bartolo Colon? LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Sad News. Former MLB skipper Chuck Tanner best known as being the leader of the 'We are Family' Pirates World Series Winning team in 1979 had died. The Pirates featuring Future Hall of Famers Willie Stragell and Bert Blyleven 'upset' the Baltimore Orioles in a classic 7 game series.

Here the song from the disco era forever known as the theme of the 1979 Pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t26FXONisQ

Great memories as a little kid watching those Pirates in 1979. One of my favorite baseball managers.

RIP Chuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9bAoE94L8U

I know many fans *cough* baseball 'traditionalists' hate those 1970's era Pirates uniforms. Personally i think they were cool and should be brought back.

Archived