Hot Stove MLB News Off season 2010-11

Shortline Bus

Same....

Howard picks the worst time to go ice cold at the plate...

In, and Throughout the playoffs....

How many times has he struck out in his last two playoff appearances/seasons ?

who the hell is that ????

I'm a yankee fan, and I second that price is right buzzer video....

(that's been floating around the net as of late)

Russell Martin was the Dodgers catcher. His full name is Russell Nathan Jeanson Coltrane Martin.

FTR, I had the TPIR horns in my head when Howard K'd.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think of the Phillies' new dream rotation of Roy Halladay (21-10, 2.44), Cliff Lee (12-9, 3.18), Cole Hammels (12-11, 3.06), and Roy Oswalt (13-13, 2.76)?

In four seasons, the Phillies have gone 89-73, 92-70, 93-69, and 97-65 making this the best era in Phillies' franchise history - four N.L. East division titles, three trips to the N.L.C.S., and two trips to the World Series.

Only the 1976-1978 Phillies (with Steve Carlton and Tug McGraw) can compare in success. Those teams, however, lost to the Reds (1976), and the Dodgers (1977 and 1978) in the N.L.C.S.

who the hell is that ????

I'm a yankee fan, and I second that price is right buzzer video....

(that's been floating around the net as of late)

The former catcher of the LA Dodgers. He is supposed to replace Jorge Posada since Posada is going to be the Yankees full-time DH. Makes sense to me

What do you think of the Phillies' new dream rotation of Roy Halladay (21-10, 2.44), Cliff Lee (12-9, 3.18), Cole Hammels (12-11, 3.06), and Roy Oswalt (13-13, 2.76)?

In four seasons, the Phillies have gone 89-73, 92-70, 93-69, and 97-65 making this the best era in Phillies' franchise history - four N.L. East division titles, three trips to the N.L.C.S., and two trips to the World Series.

Only the 1976-1978 Phillies (with Steve Carlton and Tug McGraw) can compare in success. Those teams, however, lost to the Reds (1976), and the Dodgers (1977 and 1978) in the N.L.C.S.

I actually like R2C2 since all 4 pitchers are elite and there is balance between lefties and righties. Plus Lee and Halladay have won Cy Youngs. Oswalt still has not lost at the Bank.

By the way, Cole Hamels has one M in his name. You are thinking of Jason Hammel.

I actually like R2C2 since all 4 pitchers are elite and there is balance between lefties and righties. Plus Lee and Halladay have won Cy Youngs. Oswalt still has not lost at the Bank.

By the way, Cole Hamels has one M in his name. You are thinking of Jason Hammel.

Sorry to sound dumb but is "R2C2" the new nickname for the 2011 Phillies Pitching staff?

The Brew Crew has made a huge trade today:

The Milwaukee Brewers have acquired RHP Zack Grienke and SS Yuniesky Betancourt, and sent SS Alcides Escobar, CF Lorenzo Cain, RHP Jeremy Jeffress, and RHP Jake Odorizzi to the Kansas City Royals.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101219&content_id=16345284&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Reactions?

I was shocked to hear that the Brewers got him.

The Brew Crew has made a huge trade today:

The Milwaukee Brewers have acquired RHP Zack Grienke and SS Yuniesky Betancourt, and sent SS Alcides Escobar, CF Lorenzo Cain, RHP Jeremy Jeffress, and RHP Jake Odorizzi to the Kansas City Royals.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101219&content_id=16345284&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Reactions?

I was shocked to hear that the Brewers got him.

I can't be the only person going....

Who in the hell are those players the Brewers gave up.....

I know Greinke wanted out.... but to the Brewers?

*shrugs*

I can't be the only person going....

Who in the hell are those players the Brewers gave up.....

I know Greinke wanted out.... but to the Brewers?

*shrugs*

Bro the Brewers are a good offensive/HR team led by Prince Fielder in last 4-5 years ago, although they strike out alot:eek:. Since CC left after the '08 season with their only playoff apperence in last 30 years, their pitching sucked. Getting Greinke is a great pick up for them and the Brew Crew IMO are now a contender in NL Central with the Reds and Cards.

Greinke stays in the midwest in a smaller city and is also put on a club that now has shot to at least be a wild card team.

Bro the Brewers are a good offensive/HR team led by Prince Fielder in last 4-5 years ago, although they strike out alot:eek:. Since CC left after the '08 season with their only playoff apperence in last 30 years, their pitching sucked. Getting Greinke is a great pick up for them and the Brew Crew IMO are now a contender in NL Central with the Reds and Cards.

Greinke stays in the midwest in a smaller city and is also put on a club that now has shot to at least be a wild card team.

But the Brewers never really do anything.... They're stagnant...

they had that one decent year when they made the wild card in '08... before & after that, it's like ??????

yes, Fielder & Braun brings some fans to the games, but iono... even w/ Greinke, I don't expect them to make any real noise this upcoming season....

If Andy does retire, then expect a very slow 2011 season this year. I do blame this mostly on upper management and Cashman for banking too much time trying to land Lee and then Lee turning down the Yankees.

It had to have occured to them that if Lee turned them down, they should've had a plan b.

But the Brewers never really do anything.... They're stagnant...

they had that one decent year when they made the wild card in '08... before & after that, it's like ??????

yes, Fielder & Braun brings some fans to the games, but iono... even w/ Greinke, I don't expect them to make any real noise this upcoming season....

Totally agreed. 08 was a fluke - if not for CC's 'superhuman' effort of going on 3days rest those last games in the season and the Mets falling apart again on the last day, the Brewers were not going into the playoffs. CC was totally done by the time the division series started.

While I'm glad this deal shuts up the trade Grinke to the Yankees talks, this doesn't do anything for him or the Brewers, imo. Then again, better than him going to Texas?

Pending a physical, former DiamondBack Pitcher Brandon Webb has agreed to a one-year contract with the American League Champion Texas Rangers.

Brandon Webb had seasons of 10-9 as a rookie in 2003, 7-16 in 2004, 14-12 in 2005, 16-12 in 2006, 18-10 in 2007, and 22-7 in 2008. However, he missed all but four innings of 2009 and 2010 combined with shoulder problems.

From 2006 through 2008, Brandon Webb won a Cy Young and was runner-up twice. In that time, the DiamondBacks finished 76-86, won the National League West with 90-72 and finished second with 82-80.

There are reports that both the Yankees and the Metropolitans may be interested in fellow Mountain States Pitcher Jeff Francis, a free agent after pitching for the Rockies from 2004-2008 and last season.

During 2007, when the Rockies used that incredible September to win 90 games, almost win the N.L. West, and won their second N.L. WildCard, Jeff Francis had his best season with 17-9. On Friday September 28th, with the Rockies having won eleven straight and eighteen of their September games, Brandon Webb outpitched Jeff Francis and the DiamondBacks won 4-2.

Brandon Webb and the DiamondBacks went on to win the N.L. West; Jeff Francis and the Rockies went on to win the National League Pennant.

Mr. Tom Vandergriff, former Mayor of Arlington (Dallas-Fort Worth Metoplex) has left us at 84.

It was Mayor Vandergriff who opened the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex to Major League Baseball by leading the way in bringing the Washington Senators to Arlington for 1972.

The new Texas Rangers had their first winning season two years later in 1974, but didn't win their first American League West Division title until 1996, and their first American League pennant until 2010.

The Rangers' first home, Arlington Stadium, was built in 1965 as Turnpike Stadium. The former Fort Worth Cats played there from 1965 through 1971 in The Texas League as the Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs. Built with seating for 10,000 fans, seating was increased to 20,500 in 1970 and 35,700 in 1971 and renamed Arlington Stadium after the Senators had committed to relocate to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Other than nearby Six Flags Over Texas there was no neighborhood around Arlington Stadium in 1972 and Arlington had a population (1970 U.S. Census) of 90,643.

When the Senators relocated, it was Major League Baseball's final move until 2005 when the Montreal Expos moved to Washington, D.C..

This week as celebrate the start of a new year, the class of 2011, MLB newest members of the Hall of Fame will be selected. Here are the major players on the ballot as 'finalists.'

Bert Blyleven, Roberto Alomar, Jack Morris, Barry Larkin, Lee Smith, Edgar Martinez, Tim Raines, Mark McGwire, Alan Trammell, Fred McGriff, Don Mattingly, Dave Parker, Dale Murphy, and Harold Baines.

The new first time eligible players with serious chances to get in.

Carlos Baerga

Jeff Bagwell

Kevin Brown,

John Franco

Juan González

Al Leiter

Tino Martinez

Rafael Palmeiro

Larry Walker

Of these players guys who gets in?:confused: IMO only Alomar(besides the horrible spiting incident near the end of his career that has hurt his chances)Bagwell, Morris and Blyleven should be in. While Walker, Mattingly, Parker and Murphy are 'close' but did not play long enough or have enough stats to make it.

Even without the steriods ( I do think he took them) Palmeiro was not a HOF even with over 3,000 hits. He was never in the top 5 players in MLB(which is a must to make Cooperstown)so it a wash.

This week as celebrate the start of a new year, the class of 2011, MLB newest members of the Hall of Fame will be selected. Here are the major players on the ballot as 'finalists.'

Bert Blyleven, Roberto Alomar, Jack Morris, Barry Larkin, Lee Smith, Edgar Martinez, Tim Raines, Mark McGwire, Alan Trammell, Fred McGriff, Don Mattingly, Dave Parker, Dale Murphy, and Harold Baines.

The new first time eligible players with serious chances to get in.

Carlos Baerga

Jeff Bagwell

Kevin Brown,

John Franco

Juan González

Al Leiter

Tino Martinez

Rafael Palmeiro

Larry Walker

Of these players guys who gets in?:confused: IMO only Alomar(besides the horrible spiting incident near the end of his career that has hurt his chances)Bagwell, Morris and Blyleven should be in. While Walker, Mattingly, Parker and Murphy are 'close' but did not play long enough or have enough stats to make it.

Sources report that pending a physical, Third Baseman Adrian Beltre will sign with the A.L. Champion Texas Rangers for six years and up to $96 million. Five years and $80 million of that is guaranteed.

Adrian Beltre, 32, will become the Rangers' third baseman, and Micheal Young will shift to designated hitter and a super utility role.

In his only season as the Red Sox third baseman, he averaged .321 with 28 home runs and 102 RBIs. He led the American League with 49 doubles and was an A.L. All-Star.

As compensation, the Rangers will have to surrender a first round pick to the Red Sox for signing Adrian Beltre.

• Catcher-Designated Hitter Victor Martinez from the Red Sox to the Tigers

• Pitcher Cliff Lee from the Rangers to the Phillies

• Outfielder Carl Crawford from the Rays to the Red Sox

• Third Baseman Adrian Beltre from the Red Sox to the Rangers

• Pitcher Kerry Wood from the Yankees to the Cubs

• First Baseman Lance Berkman from the Yankees to the Cardinals

The Tampa Bay Rays, in the mode of retooling the next few seasons, have traded Pitcher Matt Garza, minor league outfielder Fernando Perez, and a minor league pitcher to the Chicago Cubs for Pitcher Chris Archer, Outfielder Brandon Guyer, Catcher Robinson Chirinos, Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee, and Outfielder Sam Fuld, pending physicals.

Matt Garza, 27, is coming off his best season, 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA for the Rays in 2009.

Major League Baseball To Open On Thursday March 31, 2011:

For the first time since 1976, Major League Baseball will open on a Thursday.

There are now six games scheduled for Opening Day Thursday March 31, 2011:

The Reds will host the Brewers;

The Senators will host the Braves;

The Royals will host the Angels;

The Yankees will host the Tigers (ESPN);

The Cardinals will host the Padres (ESPN);

The Dodgers will host the Giants (ESPN).

Archived