President St. Holdup

CTK246

Ahh yes. That annoying delay at President St. Usually if you're lucky the (2)/(5) will only have to a wait for a minute or two. Of course, sometimes it's longer [let's say, for example, a (5) train gets delayed by a (4) train and then gets blocked by a (3) train].... It's common during Rush Hour [especially PM] that a (5) train will be delayed and a (2) train will saddle up right behind it on the incline. Bonus if more trains get delayed behind those intial [sp?] trains.

Usually this delay is retained to weekdays only, but sometimes it pops up at other times as well. I ride the train early in the morning [around 6 - 6:15] so I rarely encounter this delay anymore. A couple of years ago when I rode the train for the first time it happened pretty much every day... just last Friday over Thanksgiving break I rode the (5) in the middle of the day and we got held up at President St and it felt so weird to get delayed again... Usually if a train from Flatbush is late it'll get priority but I been on plenty of late trains that still got delayed. Of course, it's not possible to always clear the track for a Flatbush train [if a (3) or (4) train is already crossing Rogers Junction, for example] but it's wishful thinking.

Wait, how could I forget? Sometimes [it's a little uncommon though] a (5) train will be allowed to leave President St right away... only to be held right at the entrance to the junction so that I can see a (4) train whiz right by. Out of the hundreds of times I've been through Rogers Junction [on a (5) train] How many times have I seen this trend inverted? Many twice or so. [but I was really happy.]

Ahh yes. That annoying delay at President St. Usually if you're lucky the (2)/(5) will only have to a wait for a minute or two. Of course, sometimes it's longer [let's say, for example, a (5) train gets delayed by a (4) train and then gets blocked by a (3) train].... It's common during Rush Hour [especially PM] that a (5) train will be delayed and a (2) train will saddle up right behind it on the incline. Bonus if more trains get delayed behind those intial [sp?] trains.

Usually this delay is retained to weekdays only, but sometimes it pops up at other times as well. I ride the train early in the morning [around 6 - 6:15] so I rarely encounter this delay anymore. A couple of years ago when I rode the train for the first time it happened pretty much every day... just last Friday over Thanksgiving break I rode the (5) in the middle of the day and we got held up at President St and it felt so weird to get delayed again... Usually if a train from Flatbush is late it'll get priority but I been on plenty of late trains that still got delayed. Of course, it's not possible to always clear the track for a Flatbush train [if a (3) or (4) train is already crossing Rogers Junction, for example] but it's wishful thinking.

Wait, how could I forget? Sometimes [it's a little uncommon though] a (5) train will be allowed to leave President St right away... only to be held right at the entrance to the junction so that I can see a (4) train whiz right by. Out of the hundreds of times I've been through Rogers Junction [on a (5) train] How many times have I seen this trend inverted? Many twice or so. [but I was really happy.]

I've also seen that.I wonder why that would happen.If everything is in schedule than usually the wait at president st in no longer than a min.Except between 5-530 pm weekdays.(Maybe mourning rush hours but i don't really go then so i can't comment).I will say that at Nostrand ave (3) there is usually no wait.Except AM rush and 5-530pm.

It is just congestion. A (5) at President St. N/B, might have to wait for a N/B (3), (4), or even both, to get off the switches and track, before that (5) can get a line up. The (2) sometimes waits for a (3), to pass by. We call, and we get a train is crossing in front of you. They said it is impossible during the rush hour, to schedule the trains, so this doesn't happen, and maintain that schedule. Trains are always late, and not on schedule, so we will always go through this. Get use to it riders..........

(4)

It is just congestion. A (5) at President St. N/B, might have to wait for a N/B (3), (4), or even both, to get off the switches and track, before that (5) can get a line up. The (2) sometimes waits for a (3), to pass by. We call, and we get a train is crossing in front of you. They said it is impossible during the rush hour, to schedule the trains, so this doesn't happen, and maintain that schedule. Trains are always late, and not on schedule, so we will always go through this. Get use to it riders..........

That's why it took me almost 6 minutes to go from Utica Ave to Franklin Ave on the express track every day. A 3 minute run and I'm already 3 minutes late when I hit my first stop. I'd see a Flatbush (5) cross ahead of me and I'd make a snide comment to RCC daily. One of my friends down there told me that the desk supt. didn't appreciate my humor so I told him to tell the supt. to give me a call. He did and I explained to him that the Flatbush train was scheduled to follow MY follower, a (4), and that the ATS system sucked in crunch time. He laughed and agreed with me but asked me to tone down my comments on the radio. I did, but only because I retired. I actually spoke to him recently and he admitted that they HAVE to make the ATS system look good because so much was invested in it for it to be labeled a failure. He also implied that all of the proponents of the ATS system have retired and become consultants to various transit agencies and suppliers around the country. That figures because most of the opponents of the ATS system were pretty much forced out or exiled when the system was introduced. That's how things work in RTO and probably throughout (MTA). It's too bad that only the actual riders suffer the consequences.

Archived