FDA Mulling ban of all menthol cigarettes

East New York

In light of that 700 page report on the health effects of smoking tobacco i think this is a good move.

This is one grandfathered part of our culture/society that serves no real purpose and takes up valuable crop land that could be used for food or bio-fuel.

- A

Too many people depend on cigarettes, a full-out ban is a bit too extreme

In my personal opinion, I hope they do ban them!! People need to quit. I'm one of them!! Smoking is a disgusting, unattractive habit. Thank God my teeth aren't yellow!!

I feel your pain, it is a hard habit to break...but to ban them outright is a little too much. For some people its impossible for them to quit.

Can't smoke anything else but the newport lights. But my new years resolutiuon is to indeffinetly quit, Even though I smoke while at work and no where else, its getting boring already.

That was my resolution but I decided on it too late (I decided in November) so I'm giving myself until the end of January

Can't smoke anything else but the newport lights. But my new years resolutiuon is to indeffinetly quit, Even though I smoke while at work and no where else, its getting boring already.

Newports are the biggest failed relationship of my life. I absolutely can't stand them. Or any other bogues for that matter.

Too many people depend on cigarettes, a full-out ban is a bit too extreme

I feel your pain, it is a hard habit to break...but to ban them outright is a little too much. For some people its impossible for them to quit.

That was my resolution but I decided on it too late (I decided in November) so I'm giving myself until the end of January

I've been quitting every New Year's for the last 10 years. I started smoking on January 1, 1999. I was in Times Square living it up, and partying like is was 1999 and wanted a Black and Mild, but didn't have any left. It's not like I could go anywhere. This lady had a Newport, and the rest is history.

It's the single most addictive drug in the world. Doctors say it's worse than heroin. They need to be banned immediately! The only ones that should be allowed, need to be nicotine, chemical, rat poison, fiberglass, etc. etc. free!!

We are killing ourselves, and they are raking in billions. It's time for the DEA and FDA to shut it down.:mad:

Government shouldn't be wasting money "protecting" people from their own stupidity.

On one hand I agree.. but on the other.. how about all the other drugs the government has banned.. That would have to hold true for them too.

I stopped smoking in May, right b4 prices went up again. Started when I was 13.. 33 now. Been trying to quit for a long time. It's not easy, but definitely doable and the best way, is cold-turkey.

It's a tough decision on what to do. Cigarettes are definitely a drug. Just like pot, coke, heroine, etc.. It's just not banned b/c it brings in big money and doesn't kill you quickly.

But it's a proven cancer-causer, among other diseases.. plus the effects of 2nd hand smoke..

I don't mean to offend any smokers here, but fact of the matter is.. With all the research and information available to us today, if you are still smoking.. You're just a flippin' idiot. Plain and simple. I was for 20 yrs. First one to admit it. Hopefully it won't come back to kick me in the ass later in life.

Anyone trying to quit, stick to it. Wish you the best. It's definitely worth it. I can walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing now.

Government shouldn't be wasting money "protecting" people from their own stupidity.

It's not so much that people need to be protected from themselves, but people should be protected from others. 2nd hand smoke is hazardous and I am very glad they don't allow smoking in bars and what not. As for smokers, let'em die as long as it won't cost me anything. In fact, with all the taxes on them now, I think more people should start smoking.

but people should be protected from others.

That's where the government ought to step in...when an action produces a negative external effect. It's not the governments job to concern itself with silly issues of people harming themselves. It's the same reason why I think seat belt laws are bullshit.

Archived