Articulateds...

WannaBeMTA12

which wheels are the drive wheels, the middle or rear wheels.....my uncle a charter bus driver out of White Plains NY (he drive a white MCI btw) told me the middles, but i think it the rear considering the traction problem in the snow.....someone shed light on this plz.....

maybe flushing flash knows....hahahahaha :P

which wheels are the drive wheels, the middle or rear wheels.....my uncle a charter bus driver out of White Plains NY (he drive a white MCI btw) told me the middles, but i think it the rear considering the traction problem in the snow.....someone shed light on this plz.....

maybe flushing flash knows....hahahahaha :P

Yeah too bad I dont........I wont drive them for the lousy 25 cents more and they wont come to CS AHAHAHAHAHA Bus Buff!

If the middle wheels were the drive wheels it would take a ton of extra modification just to get power to those wheels seeing as the middle wheels are on the front half of the bus, PAST the articulation joint, I really don't see how it'd be very possible.

its possible, there are buses with middle drive wheels

Van-Hool AG300 is a B-axle drive wheel (middle wheel drive). The C-axle (rear wheel), is are singles, and actually turn the opposite of the front. They make a tighter turn than the rear wheel drive artics. The middle wheel drives are pulley type artics, which means the front pulls the rear. The NYCTA New Flyers, WCDOT and NJT Neoplans, are rear wheel drive. They are pusher types, cause the rear pushes the rest of the bus forward. The pulley type is the cheapest type, and better in the snow. Problem is the middle engine (between the A and B axles), is difficult for most companies to maintain, because they have to modify the maintenance shop, to work on an engine they have to access from the side.

The old WCDOT MAN (600series), and the old NJT Volvos were pulley type artics, that had a turnable rear wheel. The current Van-Hool AG300, is a low-floor, but the area on the drivers side, between the A and B axles where the engine is, is actually raised to accommodate the engine........

The MBTA's Neoplan AN460LF dual mode articulated buses have powered middle wheels. There is a DD60 diesel engine in the rear, but it is used to generate electrical power for the motors rather than directly spinning the wheels themselves. These buses were designed for use in Boston's Waterfront BRT tunnel, but are often used on regular bus routes during the winter because they don't experience the same problems as our other artics. Our newer New Flyer hybrid artics, curiously enough, are rear wheel powered despite the MBTA having known for years the problems rear wheeled powered artics have in the winter and having experience with powered middle wheel artics. One would think that with the recent advancements in hybrid and dual mode technology that transit agencies in northern cities would opt for powered middle wheel axle artics instead.

Archived