New buses for LI bus!

trainfan22

Daimler Buses Awarded a 60-Bus Order from Long Island Bus with a Confirmed Option for 40 Additional Buses

Oriskany, N.Y. (April 17, 2007) – Daimler Buses North America was awarded an initial order for 60 Orion VII Next Generation Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) transit buses for The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Long Island Bus, and further received confirmed options for 40 buses.

“We are very pleased to once again be selected by Long Island Bus to be their transit bus provider for their next delivery of buses,” said Patrick Scully, chief commercial officer for Daimler Buses North America. “Most important with this current order is Long Island Bus’ move to low floor buses, which we look forward to working closely and assisting them in introducing this important new technology to their customers. This order also complements the 850 unit order which we received from New York City Transit, Long Island’s sister agency at NY MTA.”

Serving approximately 96 Long Island communities, the MTA Long Island Bus provides convenient service throughout Nassau County, Western Suffolk County and into Eastern Queens. In 1992, Long Island Bus began replacing its diesel bus fleet with buses operating using CNG fuel. Now, the Long Island Bus fleet is made up mostly of clean air, Orion CNG-fueled buses. Combined with the efforts of the New York City Transit division of the MTA, New York City and Nassau County have the cleanest public transportation in the United States outside of California.

Introduced to the transit market earlier in 2007, the Orion VII Next Generation uses the same proven platform of the Orion VII with a new, redefined, European-inspired exterior design and an improved ergonomic driver’s area. The sleeker style provides a more modern design, giving the Next Generation plenty of curb appeal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ewww more orion VII im really going to miss the current buses they have.....

Wow you just beat me to it. I was about to post that just now. This is interesting news. So this will be a sight to see the low floors in LI as well as LI colors on an NG. Thanks for sharing. I'm still surprised though that they are sticking to CNG's rather than making the move to HEV's.

Wow you just beat me to it. I was about to post that just now. This is interesting news. So this will be a sight to see the low floors in LI as well as LI colors on an NG. Thanks for sharing. I'm still surprised though that they are sticking to CNG's rather than making the move to HEV's.

Yeah, I was just reading about that. Very interesting. I had a feeling they would stick with the CNG's for at least a little while longer. I like the look of the NG CNG. I really wouldn't be supprised if JG and WF get NG CNG's in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

They feel that CNG are cleaner than the diesel.
It is, not one time have I seen smoke from a CNG engine's muffler, but HEV and Diesel buses, all the time. (Well this excludes the times snow went inside the CNG bus's muffler and then the engine started).
I really wouldn't be supprised if JG and WF get NG CNG's in the future.
I would rather West Farms to get the C40LFs. MUCH rather. Give all the VIIs and VII NGs to JG! Brooklyn is slower in general so a 40MPH top speed from the current VII CNG isn't going to affect the travel as much. B)

It is, not one time have I seen smoke from a CNG engine's muffler, but HEV and Diesel buses, all the time. (Well this excludes the times snow went inside the CNG bus's muffler and then the engine started).I would rather West Farms to get the C40LFs. MUCH rather. Give all the VIIs and VII NGs to JG! Brooklyn is slower in general so a 40MPH top speed from the current VII CNG isn't going to affect the travel as much. B)

I probably would not mind seeing some new C40LF's or LFR's, but I think the New Flyer days are on the rocks.

All you need is New Flyer DE40LFRs and you can't go wrong!

They really do, but they would probably replace the New Flyer CNG's with more CNG buses.

And MTA is considering getting Orion 7 NG CNG buses for the MTA Bus and NYC Bus after they see how they do in Long Island.

They really do, but they would probably replace the New Flyer CNG's with more CNG buses.

And MTA is considering getting Orion 7 NG CNG buses for the MTA Bus and NYC Bus after they see how they do in Long Island.

Or maybe even the CE40LFR. I would like to see some CNG Hybrids too! The current C40LF's/O7 CNG's have worse gas mileage than the RTS and OV diesels.

Does anybody know if a B/O from TA will be able to work out of LI?

I talked to the HR Manager for DOB. As of right now no, but eventually one will be able to transfer between agencies. As of now there is no timetable on when this will be possible, but it looks as if it could be in place by the time next contract is done.

Or maybe not. I'm hearing that they will have MTA Long Island Bus on them...but with no orange.
Boo! What they will do next? Nevermind I don't want to throw up.

They should keep the LIB stripes, they look much less plain than MTA. It's boring having every single city bus white and blue, most transit agencies have different paint on atleast some buses, especially Centro.

Archived