vintage bus service quill depot

redbird1

IIRC the vintage buses throughout NYC are done for the holiday season.

Ha! from what I have been hearing, vintage buses are done for good. Partly due too the f**k ups of the holiday service, there mothballing the museum buses and taking away the budget for them.

Does that mean no more BusFest?

I think so. I'm not a bus person at all and I never really cared for the museum buses, but working with the museum subway cars has gotten me some info in the buses. The superintendent who had been "protecting" the buses has retired so their is no one of power to fight for them and they really dropped the ball this year by sending the buses to the outer boros. Had they been kept at Quill and ran on the M34 and M42 lines, maybe things would be a bit different. What they did this year in a way doomed the program.

I think so. I'm not a bus person at all and I never really cared for the museum buses, but working with the museum subway cars has gotten me some info in the buses. The superintendent who had been "protecting" the buses has retired so their is no one of power to fight for them and they really dropped the ball this year by sending the buses to the outer boros. Had they been kept at Quill and ran on the M34 and M42 lines, maybe things would be a bit different. What they did this year in a way doomed the program.

If They are doing that to the Bus, They are doing that to the Trains ALso, Im sorry to say but the Vintage buses were better than the Vintage train, Atleast you had difrrent equipment running around, as for the Train I hope its somewhere else.

I don't buy this idea of writing everything off so quickly. The holiday programs are a major PR success, and if anything the MTA needs good PR for once. I've got a friend who's a TSS, I'll have to speak to him about the holiday program for the subway. As for the buses, again I think it is solely PR that's holding the program afloat.

They have already taken away the budget. Also, the museum buses did terribly this year since they didn't run that much because at many depots, the drivers would not drive the buses. The Museum train on the other hand was a major PR success as it has been for the past several years. But your entitled to your opinion though facts about the buses say other wise. Remember, the museum trains and the buses are two totally different things and what happens to one has nothing what so ever to do with the other.

Ha! from what I have been hearing, vintage buses are done for good. Partly due too the f**k ups of the holiday service, there mothballing the museum buses and taking away the budget for them.

They arent done for good. The TA was testing things out this year in terms of the fleet, and its usage. That's one of the reasons majority of the fleet was transfered out of Brooklyn.

Does that mean no more BusFest?

They didnt drop the ball by sending the buses to the outer boroughs. I personally advocated for them to run on lines other than 34th, and 42nd streets. There is more to NYC than just Manhattan. Seeing 5227 in Brooklyn revenue sercice was something I have wanted for years!

What they should have done was organize the whole thing much better than they did. They should have asked which drivers wanted them, and all would have been well. That was the major problem. People are making it sounds as if it was a complete failure, when it was really an overall success.

They are talking about trying a different approach next year if the funds are available.

If They are doing that to the Bus, They are doing that to the Trains ALso, Im sorry to say but the Vintage buses were better than the Vintage train, Atleast you had difrrent equipment running around, as for the Train I hope its somewhere else.

Ok, you continue to show how little you know about the museum train program. While the holiday train my be canceled, they will not stop the museum from running the museum train because unlike the buses, the museum makes money off the nostalgia train. When was the last time the museum ran the buses alone? And free events like the bus rodeo and bus fest don't bring in money. So again your wrong, while the museum buses are mothballed, the same will not be happening to the museum train fleet. In fact, work is still being done on several cars. Also, try using spell check when you respond.

They didnt drop the ball by sending the buses to the outer boroughs. I personally advocated for them to run on lines other than 34th, and 42nd streets. There is more to NYC than just Manhattan. Seeing 5227 in Brooklyn revenue sercice was something I have wanted for years!

What they should have done was organize the whole thing much better than they did. They should have asked which drivers wanted them, and all would have been well. That was the major problem. People are making it sounds as if it was a complete failure, when it was really an overall success.

They are talking about trying a different approach next year if the funds are available.

I say they dropped the ball because many times the buses did not run or if they did, they only ran once a day. Several depots had trouble getting drivers to take the buses on runs. At least compared to the Holiday train, we made every run on all 5 Sundays we were out there. Plus I do feel that it is more important for the museum buses and trains to run in Manhattan because it makes them visible to tourists which I know is the whole idea for the museum train (I can't say definitively for the museum buses).

At least the vintage train ran five for five compared to the vintage buses, which a lot of drivers were so *insert p-word expletive here* to drive because they didn't have power steering.

Some of them also did not run because of mechanical issues too. The running museum subway cars are in better mechanical shape then some of the museum buses.

Ok, you continue to show how little you know about the museum train program. While the holiday train my be canceled, they will not stop the museum from running the museum train because unlike the buses, the museum makes money off the nostalgia train. When was the last time the museum ran the buses alone? And free events like the bus rodeo and bus fest don't bring in money. So again your wrong, while the museum buses are mothballed, the same will not be happening to the museum train fleet. In fact, work is still being done on several cars. Also, try using spell check when you respond.

The museum buses have NOT been officially mothballed.

I was told they are going to review the program, and see how it can be made better.

That's something that should have been done a while ago. I mean I don't care for buses, but I don't see how you can run an effective museum program if the buses don't come out that often. I know that up until 2 or so years ago, most of them were a mechanical nightmare, but they really should have focused on one of two buses and make them operable and reliable so that they could run on fan trips or something. Just look at the subway fleet, the Low-Vs and the Arnines had alot of work put into them so they can run. I think if the bus guys did something like that, they could run a much better program. Look at the subway/bus trip to the Rockaways back in August, if they could do a stand alone program, it would help them alot.

That's something that should have been done a while ago. I mean I don't care for buses, but I don't see how you can run an effective museum program if the buses don't come out that often. I know that up until 2 or so years ago, most of them were a mechanical nightmare, but they really should have focused on one of two buses and make them operable and reliable so that they could run on fan trips or something. Just look at the subway fleet, the Low-Vs and the Arnines had alot of work put into them so they can run. I think if the bus guys did something like that, they could run a much better program. Look at the subway/bus trip to the Rockaways back in August, if they could do a stand alone program, it would help them alot.

This past year ENY spent a lot of time on getting the fleet up and running. The museum bus program is still new. It was only intended to used 2 buses in Manhattan. Other than that, the only use the fleet had seen was movies, Bus Fest, and the Roadeo. The fleet ran great this year, and the planning was good for the most part. The problem was drivers not wanting to take them out.

The fleet ran great this year, and the planning was good for the most part. The problem was drivers not wanting to take them out.

But isn't that the whole point in planning this? What they should have done was to go to all the depots that they planned on running buses from and made sure that drivers would actually drive the buses. They didn't do that and they didn't get all the buses out like they should have. Even if planning was done, the program was poorly executed. What would happen if they ran the TOMC, Arnines, Standards, and D Types in service, but crews wouldn't take them down the road? everyone would be screaming failure.

But isn't that the whole point in planning this? What they should have done was to go to all the depots that they planned on running buses from and made sure that drivers would actually drive the buses. They didn't do that and they didn't get all the buses out like they should have. Even if planning was done, the program was poorly executed. What would happen if they ran the TOMC, Arnines, Standards, and D Types in service, but crews wouldn't take them down the road? everyone would be screaming failure.

Nobody anticipated that a few drivers would not want to drive them. They never had this problem at Quill.

Nobody anticipated that a few drivers would not want to driver them. They never had this problem at Quill.

But that's the thing right there, with the museum train, we know what works and what doesn't. This years holiday bus program obviously didn't work as intended. I'm not saying that they should never try something new, but they should have planned it better, made sure the drivers would drive the vintage buses. When you run a program that could end at anytime for just about any reason, I really don't think it's wise to gamble. Hopefully, they can come back with a better program since while they are two different operations, when one looks good, it can only help the other.

But that's the thing right there, with the museum train, we know what works and what doesn't. This years holiday bus program obviously didn't work as intended. I'm not saying that they should never try something new, but they should have planned it better, made sure the drivers would drive the vintage buses. When you run a program that could end at anytime for just about any reason, I really don't think it's wise to gamble. Hopefully, they can come back with a better program since while they are two different operations, when one looks good, it can only help the other.

I agree.

Archived