vintage bus service quill depot

redbird1

I'm glad the driver at Stengel who did the morning runs enjoyed driving the museum buses.

As an 18-year vet he told me he trained on a fishbowl back in the day. REAL equipment, even going so far as to say how the older buses were much better than the new ones, how they handled better, rode smoother, blah, blah, blah...

Lol he said the one thing he'd really miss about the vintage buses are the doors not having the push tape for the rear door air system, because it takes an eternity to close after someone gets off. Can't blame him. Next time they should find drivers who are actually interested in driving the new buses instead of forcing someone of high seniority who probably might not want to drive the vehicles in the first place...

Ok, you continue to show how little you know about the museum train program. While the holiday train my be canceled, they will not stop the museum from running the museum train because unlike the buses, the museum makes money off the nostalgia train. When was the last time the museum ran the buses alone? And free events like the bus rodeo and bus fest don't bring in money. So again your wrong, while the museum buses are mothballed, the same will not be happening to the museum train fleet. In fact, work is still being done on several cars. Also, try using spell check when you respond.

Yeah The Train brings the Museum more money but If they did the trains like they did the buses they would make 10x as more as the buses, Rerember the Buses are apart of New York to and They are apart of History.

Hopefuly they can do something much better maybe run the Low V's on the shuttle where Most people take ride the subway along with the TOMC (They should run them Next year) along with the R1/9's That would make the (MTA) top dollar and please don't bash the IRT SMEE's because they were apart of history too, If the Museum don't want to deal with the sell them off to someone who would take care of them. Because all they do is sit that's why they have a shit load of problems.

Yeah The Train brings the Museum more money but If they did the trains like they did the buses they would make 10x as more as the buses, Rerember the Buses are apart of New York to and They are apart of History.

Hopefuly they can do something much better maybe run the Low V's on the shuttle where Most people take ride the subway along with the TOMC (They should run them Next year) along with the R1/9's That would make the (MTA) top dollar and please don't bash the IRT SMEE's because they were apart of history too, If the Museum don't want to deal with the sell them off to someone who would take care of them. Because all they do is sit that's why they have a shit load of problems.

The TOMC needs alot of work and there is no money for it so the chances of that happening are very slim. Also, those cars are not old enough for enough people to really want to ride them. Your average subway rider will get on a set of redbirds and not really notice the difference. But if they get on the Arnines or Low-Vs, they right away they they are old cars and they love them.

As for the TA selling the TOMC to an outside group to run or take care of them, that will never happen. Also, them sitting for so long has little to nothing to do with the problems they have.

i think in another 10-15 years, the TOMC will be the regular train since by that time many of your average riders will get on and have that "I rode this as a kid" feeling. In a way, that's what you have with the msueum buses but they way they had been running their program, only bus fans got to see the buses because your average person does not go to a rodeo or to Bus Fest. Maybe they will change that in the next few years.

I think so. I'm not a bus person at all and I never really cared for the museum buses, but working with the museum subway cars has gotten me some info in the buses. The superintendent who had been "protecting" the buses has retired so their is no one of power to fight for them and they really dropped the ball this year by sending the buses to the outer boros. Had they been kept at Quill and ran on the M34 and M42 lines, maybe things would be a bit different. What they did this year in a way doomed the program.

I gotta agree. And some routes were kinda 'obscure'. They had way too many buses spread out. At most the Q32 would've been fine, but these buses should not be on any routes longer than a crosstown route imo.

The TOMC needs alot of work and there is no money for it so the chances of that happening are very slim. Also, those cars are not old enough for enough people to really want to ride them. Your average subway rider will get on a set of redbirds and not really notice the difference. But if they get on the Arnines or Low-Vs, they right away they they are old cars and they love them.

As for the TA selling the TOMC to an outside group to run or take care of them, that will never happen. Also, them sitting for so long has little to nothing to do with the problems they have.

What about the 4 museum cars? Are they ok and could they be used for the shuttle service [ideally track 3]?

I understand that and I like the non-SMEE equipment also and I would Kill to ride the AB BMT standards if the run in a few years what is their current status right now I know they were working on the ones in Coney Island.

What about the 4 museum cars? Are they ok and could they be used for the shuttle service [ideally track 3]?

The R12/15/17/36? The R12/15/36 are ok last I checked, by the R17 is well... an R17. I don't think running them on the Grand Central-Times Square Shuttle would be a good idea because you would lose some capacity because there would have to be TA employees on the train to keep it safe and correct any conditions that may arise.

• 10 months later...

Archived