Reliability of Bx15, Bx41, Bx55 after Doomsday Cuts

cotb16

For years, I've always heard that the Bx41 was one of the most inconsistent and unreliable buses in the Bronx, thanks in part to its long route from Wakefield to the Hub (and earlier to Mott Haven). But I wanted to ask a question, is the Bx41, and the nearby Bx15 and Bx55 changed in reliability after the doomsday cuts?

I know for a fact that the Bx15 has worsened after the Bx55 was cut on weekends (thanks in part to the traffic on 125th Street), which was why on other threads I've always proposed for one of the 3rd Av buses (most preferably the Bx55) to only run to Park Av/125th St to prevent it from catching all of that traffic, and worsening service for its Bronx customers.

But I want to know how has the Bx41 done after the cuts, regarding its reliability, bunching, and crowds?

For years, I've always heard that the Bx41 was one of the most inconsistent and unreliable buses in the Bronx, thanks in part to its long route from Wakefield to the Hub (and earlier to Mott Haven). But I wanted to ask a question, is the Bx41, and the nearby Bx15 and Bx55 changed in reliability after the doomsday cuts?

I know for a fact that the Bx15 has worsened after the Bx55 was cut on weekends (thanks in part to the traffic on 125th Street), which was why on other threads I've always proposed for one of the 3rd Av buses (most preferably the Bx55) to only run to Park Av/125th St to prevent it from catching all of that traffic, and worsening service for its Bronx customers.

But I want to know how has the Bx41 done after the cuts, regarding its reliability, bunching, and crowds?

Here is proof from Straphangers Campaign Press

http://straphangers.org/pokeyaward/10/

Personally, I think it was a bad idea to put artics on the (Bx15). It was also a bad idea to terminate weekend service on the (Bx55)

I agree with you. However, the cut was done since no one spoke out against it (being that Morrisania and East Tremont are neighborhoods more focused on fighting crime and poverty rather than transportation, evident with our new Assemblyman Eric Stevenson). On the other hand, the Bx18 was also proposed to be cut, but Assemblywoman Vanessa Gibson and other residents of Morris Heights opposed it, therefore preventing that cut.

Back to topic, because of the Bx15/55 cuts, I tend to avoid those routes like the plague on weekends. The Bx15 is delayed so much that the Bx17, Bx21, and Bx41 run better. I would prefer the Bx17 or Bx41 for service to Fordham over the Bx15 on weekends.

I always believed that the 11,000 passengers that used the Bx55 during weekends (that's the number mentioned on the doomsday cuts PDF file) is a big number, unless that was a typo made by the MTA.

Bx55ServiceReduction.png

I have to agree with you. But I think the Bx15's ridership only went up because there were constant weekend disruptions on the (2) and (5) that caused riders to take the bus to either Mott Haven for the (6) or to Harlem to get the (2), (5), or other lines.

Maybe since we're in the MetroCard era and the BX55 (Bx55) makes the stops of the 70(8) Third Avenue El, thought should be given to converting it from a limited to an SBS route to help the BX15 (Bx15).

If I was to convert the BX55 (Bx55) to an SBS route from a limited, I would reextend it to run from The Hub (East 149th Street-Third Avenue) to Gun Hill Road and I'd at least combine the former East 166th and East 169th Street stops into a new East 168th Street stop so the BX55 (Bx55) could connect with the BX35 (Bx35).

I have to agree with you. But I think the Bx15's ridership only went up because there were constant weekend disruptions on the (2) and (5) that caused riders to take the bus to either Mott Haven for the (6) or to Harlem to get the (2), (5), or other lines.
What can you say about weekdays? As I mentioned earlier, many rely on the Bx15 more during midday hours, and the fact that midday Bx55 service remained while little utilize it is dumb.

I'd at least combine the former East 166th and East 169th Street stops into a new East 168th Street stop so the BX55 (Bx55) could connect with the BX35 (Bx35).
The thing is, Morissania residents will protest if they lose their 169 Street limited stop.

I dont see anything wrong with the BX15 using artics, tho the Bx55 being cut early and on Weekends is a big mistake.. I've seen lots of passengers going on the Bx15 which is pretty slow at times.. Some people fare beat as well.

Bx41, im not sure, not a frequent rider.. Tho I see lots of people who wants White Plains Roads or Webster transferring between the Bx39/41.. Sadly the Bx41 cant also go back to its former 241st

For the Bx15... It's obvious that NOTHING that runs along 125th street in Harlem will be reliable.. The other two, well... most routes with good headways bunch. It happens.

Anything thats on 125th east of St. Nicholas will be trapped in delays.. This mainly goes for the day heading to ether Bronx, Queens or Downtown.. Nights isn't bad.

What can you say about weekdays? As I mentioned earlier, many rely on the Bx15 more during midday hours, and the fact that midday Bx55 service remained while little utilize it is dumb.

The thing is, Morissania residents will protest if they lose their 169 Street limited stop.

PLUS 169th Street was an original stop of the 3rd Ave EL. Does all the 3rd Ave El Stops, not sure of any extras.

PLUS 169th Street was an original stop of the 3rd Ave EL. Does all the 3rd Ave El Stops, not sure of any extras.
Yep, that's the whole point of the Bx55. But there was one exception.

161st Street was an original El stop, Bx55 stops at 163rd Street.
Probably that was done since some Bx55 trips went to Yankee Stadium in the '80s and early '90s.

I've rode the Bx15/55 during the middays (mostly southbound from Fordham to 163rd St) and it's a mixed bag. Whichever bus comes first is the one taken. Most of the time, the Bx55 is the preferred choice.

As for moving the LTD stop to 168th St, I'm all for it. Besides, it's a one block walk for those at 169th Street, so it's not too bad. In addition, it would allow them to choose between taking the Bx15/55 or the Bx35 when it comes to getting to the subways. Although I sometimes use the 166th St stop, it would be better off for the Bx55 to skip it so it can serve 168th Street.

Archived