WMATA wants your input on designing the 7000 series rail cars

Johnny Cocker

I was surprised to see so many suggestions for NYCTA style bench seating. With the extension to Dulles (128 7000 series cars were procured for the extension), it would make sense to go with bench seating. I hope they do.

Some of the other suggestions were pretty comical. A 1970s style trolley for the design? Really? lol

Thanks for posting, JC. I was waiting for this.

I was surprised to see so many suggestions for NYCTA style bench seating. With the extension to Dulles (128 7000 series cars were procured for the extension), it would make sense to go with bench seating. I hope they do.

Some of the other suggestions were pretty comical. A 1970s style trolley for the design? Really? lol

Thanks for posting, JC. I was waiting for this.

I disagree. First of all, the WMATA shouldn't emulate anything in the NYC subway. Second, transverse seating is convenient for all of the people who ride from Shady Grove and Largo to Metro Center.

Off topic, but Kawasaki has contracted Toshiba to supply the traction motors for the 7000 series cars. I found the info on Wiki.

I'm pretty surprised. I expected Alstom, Bombardier, or Siemens given Kawasaki's history. I didn't even know Toshiba was in the transportation business. Anyone know if they have any experience in the US transportation market?

I disagree. First of all, the WMATA shouldn't emulate anything in the NYC subway. Second, transverse seating is convenient for all of the people who ride from Shady Grove and Largo to Metro Center.

How? According to someone who suggested such seating, bench seating offers MORE seats than transverse seating.

@ the first part: ...Never mind, I'll resist the urge to post my opinion on that.

Bench seating allows for more sitting room and standing room, not to mention it's more spacious. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten on the (A), (R), or any train that uses R44/46s that goes near busy areas with congested trains due to shopping bags/wire carts, whatever baggage people bring along with them

This made me laugh a little:

Keep the general seat structure. The use given to DC's METRO is different than that of other systems because of the many long ride commuters.

DC's lines are one hour end-to-end at most. Ours, on the other hand, are not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/interactivity/redesigning-metro.html?hpid=talkbox1&appSession=835198374446771&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=&cpipage=7&CPISortType=&CPIorderBy=

Off topic, but Kawasaki has contracted Toshiba to supply the traction motors for the 7000 series cars. I found the info on Wiki.

I'm pretty surprised. I expected Alstom, Bombardier, or Siemens given Kawasaki's history. I didn't even know Toshiba was in the transportation business. Anyone know if they have any experience in the US transportation market?

How does Toshiba even sound?

How does Toshiba even sound?

I always associated them with consumer electronics.

According to their website, they supplied the traction motors for the LRVs in Minnesota.

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/sic/english/railway/history/history/history.htm

A short clip of a Minnesota LRV with Toshiba's propulsion. It sounds a little like the CAF cars with the "whine" as the train starts to accelerate and decelerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbf7eNeh5qU&feature=related

WE need bench style seating reguardless. If your 5'11 or taller sitting in transverse seats hurt and your knees will catch hell.

I'm 6 feet tall and I fit in the transverse seats (albeit, barely). How about a compromise where some seats are bench seats and others are transverse? I simply don't want the DC Metro to stoop to the level of the NYC subway and treat its riders like cattle.

I'm 6 feet tall and I fit in the transverse seats (albeit, barely). How about a compromise where some seats are bench seats and others are transverse? I simply don't want the DC Metro to stoop to the level of the NYC subway and treat its riders like cattle.

That's what it's like in NY, and how does that work? Not so well.

@the last part: What other alternatives do they have if they want the orange, blue, AND silver lines to fit in one tunnel?

Narrower Aisles

I'll give you that. However, if people moved into the center of the cars instead of blocking the doors then there'd be more space

Harder-to-clean floors

The 7000 series won't have carpets. And unlike New Yorkers, DC Metro riders treat there system with respect by not littering.

Rippable seats

No one in Montgomery or Fairfax County rips subway seats.

Seats that tall people can't sit in

The average man is 5'9". The average woman is 5'4". There are quite a few people over 6'2", but that's not enough to justify bench seats.

3 doors in a 75 foot car

Again, the Metro is more of a commuter railroad than a subway.

Narrower Aisles

I'll give you that. However, if people moved into the center of the cars instead of blocking the doors then there'd be more space

Keyword: IF. That's a big IF.

Harder-to-clean floors

The 7000 series won't have carpets. And unlike New Yorkers, DC Metro riders treat there system with respect by not littering.

Okay...they won't have carpets. Good for them. It's harder to clean the slush on people's shoes from carpets anyway.

Rippable seats

No one in Montgomery or Fairfax County rips subway seats.

I'm not sure about the NO ONE part.:(

Seats that tall people can't sit in

The average man is 5'9". The average woman is 5'4". There are quite a few people over 6'2", but that's not enough to justify bench seats.

Bench seats take up less space. Also, some people sit on the outside seat to get a whole bench to themselves. This is avoidable with bench seats.

3 doors in a 75 foot car

Again, the Metro is more of a commuter railroad than a subway.

WMATA riders themselves suggested more doors (more than once). Also, it stops much too frequently and has too much crowding to qualify as a commuter railroad.

Archived