Question about the R42's and R110.

R32 Anthony

A little while back, I was lucky and I caught an R42 on the (J) line from Jamaica to Broad Street. I took it about 4:30 and got to Broad Street about an hour later. I look out of the front car window, and did not see any other R42 on any (J) or (Z) train the whole trip. I noticed only 2 other R42 sets in the East New York yard. Are they going to retire them soon or are they going to run whenever they are needed as a backup. The number of R42 is getting smaller and I am thinking they are near retirement very soon. My other question is: Will the (MTA) run an R110A and R110B train on a fan trip? I was not lucky enough to catch them when they were in service back in the 1990's. I would like to ride them.

1) As most people have mentioned the R42's are close to their retirement. They will leave when the new cars come.

2) The R110A, and R110B will never see action again not even in a fan trip. The R110B left due to break failure, and low distance between mileages failure, and the original train has been split, and the cars went to different locations. Also R110B cars 3007-3009 were cannibalized for parts for the other cars when they started to fail so they won't be running anywhere either. The R110A had break problems, and caught fire, and will never run again either.

PS If you want to see the R110A, and R110B in action these are videos from a Youtube member named Transit Views.

1.The R42s will be replaced in 2015, by the R179 order. The remaining cars for preservation are as follows =

4572-4573 (NYCTM pair)

4665 (coupled to an R40M car, after it's mate was involved in an accident).

Two cars are at a training school.

2. The R110A cars are set for scrapping sometime this year (correct me if I'm wrong..), and 2 cars will be preserved. There's an R110 post somewhere here..

The R110B cars are at 207 yard, and are probably going for the same fate, other then the set used for fire training, and Tech school (3004-3006).

The number of R42's operating out of ENY yard hasn't changed.(50)those cars will retire when ENY gets the R179 cars.as for the R110 cars,the (MTA) will not be running those cars on any fantrips.nor will they be restored for any runs.

1.The R42s will be replaced in 2015, by the R179 order. The remaining cars for preservation are as follows =

4572-4573 (NYCTM pair)

4665 (coupled to an R40M car, after it's mate was involved in an accident).

Two cars are at a training school.

2. The R110A cars are set for scrapping sometime this year (correct me if I'm wrong..), and 2 cars will be preserved. There's an R110 post somewhere here..

The R110B cars are at 207 yard, and are probably going for the same fate, other then the set used for fire training, and Tech school (3004-3006).

In the Federal law,it is illegal to retire a train before it hits 35 years of service.

1) As most people have mentioned the R42's are close to their retirement. They will leave when the new cars come.

2) The R110A, and R110B will never see action again not even in a fan trip. The R110B left due to break failure, and low distance between mileages failure, and the original train has been split, and the cars went to different locations. Also R110B cars 3007-3009 were cannibalized for parts for the other cars when they started to fail so they won't be running anywhere either. The R110A had break problems, and caught fire, and will never run again either.

PS If you want to see the R110A, and R110B in action these are videos from a Youtube member named Transit Views.

The R110B's are so freaking awesome. They're almost like cars in European subway systems. It's amazing how cars that were built in 1992 look hotter than cars built in 2005. I added that first R110B to my youtube favorites.

Archived