The Charleston Depot Swap

Calvin

Most likely, the sticker has not yet been changed. The X1 has always been out of Yukon, I assume.

Always has, but there are AM trippers on the line. One of my friends has a photo of a Castleton DL3/D4500 on the x1, hopefully I can get it up here asap or he'll post it.

I was on the X30 at Forest and Port Richmond Ave this morning and spotted an express bus out of Meredith deadheading towards Castleton Depot. This is the second time I've witnessed that. I'm wondering if buses out of Meredith are using Castleton for some purpose (i.e. repairs, tripper run, etc.)? I think the depots on Staten Island interact the most with swapping of express buses for trippers, etc.

I was on the X30 at Forest and Port Richmond Ave this morning and spotted an express bus out of Meredith deadheading towards Castleton Depot. This is the second time I've witnessed that. I'm wondering if buses out of Meredith are using Castleton for some purpose (i.e. repairs, tripper run, etc.)? I think the depots on Staten Island interact the most with swapping of express buses for trippers, etc.

Meredith is mainly a storage facility. It's used to reduce any overcrowding, not really perform maintenance. Any buses out of Meredith still go to Castleton or maybe Yukon for repairs.

The x30 is mostly out of Meredith.

The x30 is mostly out of Meredith.

It's all out of Meredith. Believe me, we were pissed when we found out that it was running completely out of Meredith because it was problematic enough running out of Castleton. At least I had the advantage of knowing when an X30 was coming because I wait there at Clove and Forest usually and the X30s would deadhead up Clove and over to Victory. Sometimes they would even just turn right onto Forest and start up at Manor and Forest if they were really late. It's been shaky at best out of Meredith. The last bus is either on time or extremely late, so late that most folks don't even bother to wait. The B/Os say that they refuse to come in early to ensure that they reach Victory and Clove in time to start their run since they aren't paid for that time and so with that issue and the traffic at times coming over from Meredith, its easy to see how they're so late.

Oddly enough, the X14 has been just as bad, esp. in the AM. The other morning the last X30 was MIA, so I go over to Forest and Manor for the X14. The last X14 was scheduled at 08:38. The last one didn't come until almost 09:00. By then it's supposed to be over by the Verrazano. Despite me leaving almost an hour and 40 minutes to get to work (it takes about an hour on the X30 in the AM), I was 10 minutes late from all of that. :P

Meredith is mainly a storage facility. It's used to reduce any overcrowding, not really perform maintenance. Any buses out of Meredith still go to Castleton or maybe Yukon for repairs.

I figured that, but it seems odd and pathetic for them to go to Castleton for repairs when Castleton does such a terrible job maintaining their buses and is further away compared to the other depots. If anything they should go to Yukon or Charleston, which are closer and newer than Castleton.

I can now confirm that the x1 has PM Castleton trippers. 2054 from Castleton is on the x1 right now. I am at 42nd & 5th and it might've been the 7:35 bus from this stop

I thought so... And here's another observation I made...

It seems like the X17Js are all out of Charleston, while the X17Cs are a mixed bag between Charleston, Yukon and Castleton. Yes, I said Castleton too. Tonite (as in last nite, since it's officially now the 17th of Feb.) I was waiting for an X10 at 41st and 5th after coming back from NJ and 4301 pulled up as the last X17C around 23:40 or so and it was out of Yukon... :cool:

The S78 is COMPLETELY out of Charleston. The reason why you see Castleton and Yukon stickers on some of the buses is because the Charleston Depot sticker has not been placed on the buses as of yet. However, some S78s do come out of Yukon and those are school trippers from Luten and Eyelandt (Tottenvile HS). But make no mistake, the route is not "split" between any depots.

ohh yeah that makes sense thanks for clearing that upp

I'm going to try to clear up some of the confusion here. Charleston buses came from a series of moves from Castleton, yukon and Meredith. From Castleton, Orion 5's from 6190 upto 6243, MCI from 2025 (I believe) to 2074 from Yukon 2075 into the 2100"s and some 4300, Orion 5's from 6244 upto 6275 I beleive. Meredith sent some 2700's Charleston, n Yukon. Meredith is all 2800's now. As far as the Orion 7's, Charleston is not equipped with the system for the regen system onboard the bus. Rumor is that it will placed in and that when Castleton gets 90 new buses this year (Nova's, Orion 7's and New Flyers, ALL DIESEL NO HYBRID!) the orion 5's will go and the orion 7's will be moved into Charleston. If I hear different I will post.

As far as route assignments ,

Castleton 40,42/52,46,48,51,53,54,66,76 X10,X14

Charleston 55/56,74,78 X1 (Split with Yukon) X17/X19, X22, X31

Yukon 44,57,59,61,62,79 X1 (Split with Charelston)

Meredith X11,X12,X15,X30

All Depots have limited number of runs that interline with each other. Hope this cleared a little confusion up.

I'm going to try to clear up some of the confusion here. Charleston buses came from a series of moves from Castleton, yukon and Meredith. From Castleton, Orion 5's from 6190 upto 6243, MCI from 2025 (I believe) to 2074 from Yukon 2075 into the 2100"s and some 4300, Orion 5's from 6244 upto 6275 I beleive. Meredith sent some 2700's Charleston, n Yukon. Meredith is all 2800's now. As far as the Orion 7's, Charleston is not equipped with the system for the regen system onboard the bus. Rumor is that it will placed in and that when Castleton gets 90 new buses this year (Nova's, Orion 7's and New Flyers, ALL DIESEL NO HYBRID!) the orion 5's will go and the orion 7's will be moved into Charleston. If I hear different I will post.

Meredith X11,X12,X15,X30

All Depots have limited number of runs that interline with each other. Hope this cleared a little confusion up.

You forgot about the (S57)

Meredith X11,X12,X15,X30

Yukon coughed up a lot of their 6200s...the lowest 6200 I believe they have right now is somewhere in the 6280s; originally they had received 6256-6349 back in 1999, whereas Castleton received buses 6142-6255 (reference) Over the summer, Yukon started receiving Orion 5s from the Bronx in the 6000 and 6100s series (Kingsbridge, West Farms...not sure about Gun Hill); they even received some buses that used to be at Castleton! Castleton basically coughed up all their 6200s and their high 6100s...for what it's worth there's only a handful of Orion 5s at Castleton now.

As far as what's assigned where, you forgot to mention the X31 and X42 at Meredith. :P

Since Castleton only has the X10 and the X14 as primary routes, theoretically they could run all new express buses on those lines, which is what I hope they will do and can those old MCIs... :cool:

You want Castleton to beat the living daylights out of their buses, old AND new, like they've been doing for years?

You want Castleton to beat the living daylights out of their buses, old AND new, like they've been doing for years?

No, I don't, but I also am getting sick of getting on X10s with broken seats thanks to my fellow idiotic express bus riders that are too lazy to adjust the seats accordingly with the recliner buttons or whatever they're called! :mad: Then there's all of the broken overhead lights with the lovely HVAC blowing from them... :P

It's such a pleasure to ride on the BM3... I love those MCIs... Nice and clean with nice bright display signs. The stops announced by the B/Os are audible and now they've even added an automated announcement done by some perky chick as you're boarding, which is something like...

"This is a BM3 to Midtown..." It's like stepping into royalty or something. :P LOL The great thing is I get to use the BM3 at least once or twice a month to go down to my old neighbourhood in Sheepshead Bay and Spring Creek only used the newest MCIs on Saturdays. :cool:

Oh...the 2009 D4500CTs...I haven't been on those yet...maybe one day I'll get lucky and catch it on the X1 or X17, prefferable the X17J as I've never rode a NYCT bus in New Jersey...not even the S89 :-/

Don't count on seeing those on the 17J. From all the times I've tried looking for those on the 17J since the swap, no luck.

Oh...the 2009 D4500CTs...I haven't been on those yet...maybe one day I'll get lucky and catch it on the X1 or X17, prefferable the X17J as I've never rode a NYCT bus in New Jersey...not even the S89 :-/

Actually I think it's only MTA Bus that has done this... I got on a 33XX bus (same bus & B/O coming & going) with the perky chick making the announcement, that could be heard outside, but the newest ones (22XXs) also make automated announcements.

They're very good at lecturing to us about the regular and express bus fare and the assaulting the B/O line, startling me out of my nap... :mad: Maybe they got the message because I haven't been hearing those announcements so much as of late. :tup:

Actually I think it's only MTA Bus that has done this... I got on a 33XX bus (same bus & B/O coming & going) with the perky chick making the announcement, that could be heard outside, but the newest ones (22XXs) also make automated announcements.

They're very good at lecturing to us about the regular and express bus fare and the assaulting the B/O line, startling me out of my nap... :mad: Maybe they got the message because I haven't been hearing those announcements so much as of late. :tup:

It's not MTA Bus in general, some depots put automated messages/announcements on the buses via the EasySpeak. MJQ has done that with a good bit of the older generation Orion VIIs and the RTSs, they once did it for the Orion Vs and the MCIs that used to run on the Express.

It's not MTA Bus in general, some depots put automated messages/announcements on the buses via the EasySpeak. MJQ has done that with a good bit of the older generation Orion VIIs and the RTSs, they once did it for the Orion Vs and the MCIs that used to run on the Express.

Yes, I should've been more specific.... It is really just certain depots. I forgot about some of the MJQ buses since I was really referring to just the current express buses. The (M16) and (M34) have it, as do some of the (M57) and (M31) crosstown buses to name a few.

Don't count on seeing those on the 17J. From all the times I've tried looking for those on the 17J since the swap, no luck.

Seeing which ones on the X17J?? The 22XXs?? Yes, on the X17C it's possible since Yukon does a lot of X17Cs and they seem to love using newer buses on the X17 I suppose for reliability purposes... It appears that just about all X17Js are out of Charleston and Charleston usually tries to put the few 43XXs that they have on the X17J when possible.

Seeing which ones on the X17J?? The 22XXs?? Yes, on the X17C it's possible since Yukon does a lot of X17Cs... It appears that just about all X17Js are out of Charleston and Charleston usually tries to put the few 43XXs that they have on the X17J when possible.

I was referring to the 2200s, You dont see those on the x17J anymore, they made brief appearances on the 17C and 17A, I have yet to see one on the 17J since the opening of Charleston.

Archived