The Charleston Depot Swap

Calvin

4431-4452 are at Castleton, I saw 4451 on the S53 a few days ago. A B/O from Charleston told me they have nothing but Orion 5s in the 6100s and 6200s series.

Sort of makes sense---if they're getting LFSs, that fleet can be transferred to Stengel to finish off the 600s or get the 600s moved to MTA Bus to knock off the worst of the 100s.

Thankfully! :tup:

No let Charleston stay predominately Orion 5.501s until the newer fleet of buses come in. I did hear some rumors saying that Charleston may get 40' NovaBus LFS, but I'm not 100% sure about this, and I'm not even sure how many buses they would receive if this is true.

On a side note, 4431-4452 would make Castleton's FOURTH batch of Next Gens they've received: 3800-series (before they went to Manhattan), 3960-4019, 4245-4278, and now 4431-4452.[/QUOTE]

That's right... The only reason they're getting them is because of Castleton's inability to really maintain their fleet. That's why the kept sending all of the new fleet to Staten Island, particularly Castleton to help with their ageing fleet and to help maintain some reliability in bus service because service was really in the pits for some years on Staten Island. Whoever the managers were just didn't give a damn and then they finally new management in and the buses were a bit better kept (i.e. cleaner, etc.)

I know you like the Orion 5s but I've had terrible experiences with them on Staten Island. Once on a packed S98 we all get on and there is no AC and the windows on those buses are a real pain in the @ss to open so it was really hell. Maybe if they were better maintained I'd like them more.

I do have some fond memories of them when they first came out on Staten Island. They were actually nice and clean back then and they seem roomier than those tiny @ass next generation hybrids. The Orion 5s are so filthy now with soot or dirt or whatever that is everywhere on the local buses. :mad:

Speaking of wide buses, I was riding an RTS on the M104 the other day coming back from Whole Foods and the bus looked so wide while I was sitting down. Are the RTS and Orion 5s wider than the next generation hybrids? If they aren't then why do the next generation buses feel so narrow??

That's right... The only reason they're getting them is because of Castleton's inability to really maintain their fleet. That's why the kept sending all of the new fleet to Staten Island, particularly Castleton to help with their ageing fleet and to help maintain some reliability in bus service because service was really in the pits for some years on Staten Island. Whoever the managers were just didn't give a damn and then they finally new management in and the buses were a bit better kept (i.e. cleaner, etc.)

....Which is predominately the reason why I don't like Castleton depot...they can't maintain their buses for shit, old or new. These 4400s are their FOURTH batch of NGs they've received. The 3800 they received back in 2008 I believed had the lead acid batteries and not the lithium-ion, which is why they were sent to Manhattan because that's where they wanted the lead-acid buses. If not for that then the 3800s would have stayed in Staten Island and the 3900s would have stayed in Flatbush Depot in Brooklyn.

I've seen the inside of Castleton and it looks like a graveyard. It is in bad need of repair. When they're supposed to close it for repair, I don't know, but the sooner the better. And restructure the management while they're at it.

I know you like the Orion 5s but I've had terrible experiences with them on Staten Island. Once on a packed S98 we all get on and there is no AC and the windows on those buses are a real pain in the @ss to open so it was really hell. Maybe if they were better maintained I'd like them more.

I can agree with you wholeheartedly on the last part of that statement, but depot management at Castleton is to blame...even with their newer fleet they have not shown any signs of improvement.

Now take a look at Ulmer Park...the newest of their local bus fleet are 1999 model RTS...and they do a damn well job with what they have. They were excluded from receiving new buses for a long time...this year may be different should they get LFS'. Now look at Casey Stengel...they do a superb job with their O5s...as a matter of fact, when some of the NGs came to Castleton, some O5s at Castleton were displaced to CS and they fixed them up...quite sad if you ask me. Yukon has come a long way with their fleet, and they are doing better than how they were in the earlier part of last decade, and the 1990s.

I do have some fond memories of them when they first came out on Staten Island. They were actually nice and clean back then and they seem roomier than those tiny @ass next generation hybrids. The Orion 5s are so filthy now with soot or dirt or whatever that is everywhere on the local buses. :mad:

Speaking of wide buses, I was riding an RTS on the M104 the other day coming back from Whole Foods and the bus looked so wide while I was sitting down. Are the RTS and Orion 5s wider than the next generation hybrids? If they aren't then why do the next generation buses feel so narrow??

The NGs, as well as the original Orion 7s, and the New Flyer C40LFs are less roomy because of the wheel covers in the front that take up passenger capacity space. On a high floor, you'll notice that the seats are directly over the front wheels, but on the low floors, nothing. That's why the buses feel so cramped. And people hardly ever move to the back, you can't forget that.

On another note, all of our present local fleet are 102" wide, high-floor and low-floor.

Sort of makes sense---if they're getting LFSs, that fleet can be transferred to Stengel to finish off the 600s or get the 600s moved to MTA Bus to knock off the worst of the 100s.

Those hand-me-down ex-Bee Line junk need to be off the road by the close of this year, even sooner. I don't think the 600s have much usage left in them either...those are 1996 models and are now 15 years old. I could see them for one more year but that's it.

....Which is predominately the reason why I don't like Castleton depot...they can't maintain their buses for shit, old or new. These 4400s are their FOURTH batch of NGs they've received. The 3800 they received back in 2008 I believed had the lead acid batteries and not the lithium-ion, which is why they were sent to Manhattan because that's where they wanted the lead-acid buses. If not for that then the 3800s would have stayed in Staten Island and the 3900s would have stayed in Flatbush Depot in Brooklyn.

I've seen the inside of Castleton and it looks like a graveyard. It is in bad need of repair. When they're supposed to close it for repair, I don't know, but the sooner the better. And restructure the management while they're at it.

I can agree with you wholeheartedly on the last part of that statement, but depot management at Castleton is to blame...even with their newer fleet they have not shown any signs of improvement.

Now take a look at Ulmer Park...the newest of their local bus fleet are 1999 model RTS...and they do a damn well job with what they have. They were excluded from receiving new buses for a long time...this year may be different should they get LFS'. Now look at Casey Stengel...they do a superb job with their O5s...as a matter of fact, when some of the NGs came to Castleton, some O5s at Castleton were displaced to CS and they fixed them up...quite sad if you ask me. Yukon has come a long way with their fleet, and they are doing better than how they were in the earlier part of last decade, and the 1990s.

The NGs, as well as the original Orion 7s, and the New Flyer C40LFs are less roomy because of the wheel covers in the front that take up passenger capacity space. On a high floor, you'll notice that the seats are directly over the front wheels, but on the low floors, nothing. That's why the buses feel so cramped. And people hardly ever move to the back, you can't forget that.

On another note, all of our present local fleet are 102" wide, high-floor and low-floor.

I won't fault Castleton completely. It's the oldest depot on Staten Island and it has taken on the burden of overcrowding for many years. On top of that the MTA has neglected the depot by not maintaining it or making any substantial upgrades to it to allow for proper maintenance. Factor those things in and its easy to see why they have a problem maintaining their buses. I think management is better than the previously one, but they can do better in terms of keeping the buses cleaner. The dust and dirt I see on the gray painted parts of the bus is coming from nothing more than no one cleaning them, so they can't put that on the passengers. Those buses (the local buses in particular) don't look like they've ever seen a mop either.

In their defense though, they have some really old MCIs, so I guess the next generation buses they've been getting sort of off sets things... But yes the new buses are just as filthy as their old fleet of local buses.

I won't fault Castleton completely. It's the oldest depot on Staten Island and it has taken on the burden of overcrowding for many years. On top of that the MTA has neglected the depot by not maintaining it or making any substantial upgrades to it to allow for proper maintenance. Factor those things in and its easy to see why they have a problem maintaining their buses. I think management is better than the previously one, but they can do better in terms of keeping the buses cleaner. The dust and dirt I see on the gray painted parts of the bus is coming from nothing more than no one cleaning them, so they can't put that on the passengers. Those buses (the local buses in particular) don't look like they've ever seen a mop either.

In their defense though, they have some really old MCIs, so I guess the next generation buses they've been getting sort of off sets things... But yes the new buses are just as filthy as their old fleet of local buses.

I actually think the buses on Staten Island are rather clean these days. It's the riders that are dirty leaving their garbage and food on the bus, especially on the routes that go to the SI Mall. There's still a few Orion 5s that haven't gotten a full overhaul, but other than that I don't think the SI buses are dirty at all anymore.

I actually think the buses on Staten Island are rather clean these days. It's the riders that are dirty leaving their garbage and food on the bus, especially on the routes that go to the SI Mall. There's still a few Orion 5s that haven't gotten a full overhaul, but other than that I don't think the SI buses are dirty at all anymore.

I don't know about that... I sure as hell would not sit on any of those local buses on Staten Island, especially the ones out of Castleton. Yukon's buses seem to be a lot cleaner. I can't speak for Charleston since I haven't rode on any of their buses yet.

The oldest of the MCI fleet that Castleton have are the 102-DLW3SS, from 1997-1999. They are due to get some of the incoming Prevost X3-45 buses.

I'd take that with a grain of salt...saying that the buses aren't "dirty at all" contradicts what you said, such as garbage on the floor of the bus, soiled seats, and the like.

Basically, buses are getting more attention now because the overcrowding has been adhered to at long last. That lot where the MCIs are stored behind Yukon Depot on Forest Hill Road is now empty.

I don't know about that... I sure as hell would not sit on any of those local buses on Staten Island, especially the ones out of Castleton. Yukon's buses seem to be a lot cleaner. I can't speak for Charleston since I haven't rode on any of their buses yet.

Charleston now has to do Castleton's dirty work...I rode 6207 on the S55 last week. That bus came from Castleton and the inside of the bus looked shot. It's really too soon to tell how they're handling their fleet though as they've only been open for a month.

The oldest of the MCI fleet that Castleton have are the 102-DLW3SS, from 1997-1999. They are due to get some of the incoming Prevost X3-45 buses.

I'd take that with a grain of salt...saying that the buses aren't "dirty at all" contradicts what you said, such as garbage on the floor of the bus, soiled seats, and the like.

Basically, buses are getting more attention now because the overcrowding has been adhered to at long last. That lot where the MCIs are stored behind Yukon Depot on Forest Hill Road is now empty.

Charleston now has to do Castleton's dirty work...I rode 6207 on the S55 last week. That bus came from Castleton and the inside of the bus looked shot. It's really too soon to tell how they're handling their fleet though as they've only been open for a month.

Considering how many miles express buses eat up, particularly on Staten Island, those MCIs are old; a good 14 years old in some cases... The only thing I like about those buses is that the seats go back pretty far so I can get a good nap on the X14 or X10 and the lighting is not too bright like the 3200s were when we had them out of Castleton. Other than that I won't miss them and the old dull green signage that's a pain in the @ss to read. I prefer the 4300s and the 3000s overall. The signage is nice on the eyes, the seats are nicer and the climate control is a bit better except for when the B/Os have the air on the sides blowing right in your eye... :mad: The lighting usually isn't an issue since a lot of the B/Os put the lights out and leave the overhead lights on. :cool:

A big positive is that we're finally getting express buses with bells that work. For about a year or so we were getting all of the sh*tty express buses which had broken bells or bells that would go haywire because of all of the potholes and bumps on the Gowanus, so the B/O would have to turn it off altogether, which meant having to run down the narrow aisle to the front of the bus and yell out for the stop. :mad:

I don't ride the locals much on Staten Island, but I do it's usually the S48, S53, S54 or S62 and I usually get the next generation buses. I don't even want to sit on those because they're just as dirty. They just don't do anything with those buses. Really pathetic.

That actually depends. There have been some buses that are clean as all hell, specifically 6253, 6288, 6339 and 6340 (at least when I rode them). Others are worse for wear.

It's not really a contradiction, I think he was looking at it at the depot maintenance/cleaning point of view. Some of them buses are actually pretty clean, you can witness it when boarding a bus by Yukon Depot.

It's not really a contradiction, I think he was looking at it at the depot maintenance/cleaning point of view. Some of them buses are actually pretty clean, you can witness it when boarding a bus by Yukon Depot.

Now I see where he's coming from, that I can agree on.

I don't ride the locals much on Staten Island, but I do it's usually the S48, S53, S54 or S62 and I usually get the next generation buses. I don't even want to sit on those because they're just as dirty. They just don't do anything with those buses. Really pathetic.

S62 is now based out of Yukon.

Now I see where he's coming from, that I can agree on.

S62 is now based out of Yukon.

Yes, you mentioned this in a previous thread... I haven't used the S62 since the switch. I would usually only use that if I had taken a late X12 coming home and the S54 wasn't coming. I would take the S62 back towards Clove Rd and then transfer to the S53, but I don't do that anymore. I find that if I must take the local bus, my quickest option is to catch an X1 which although can be crowded has great frequency and then catch the S53. I've gotten good at studying when exactly to catch the X1 so as to avoid crowded buses, but the S53 is hit or miss in terms of the crowds. B) I tried waiting for the last X12 a few weeks back and it either came early or was very late so I said the hell with it and walked over to 41st and 5th for an X1. I prefer the X12 because the last one is usually empty and of course the S54 is always empty when it comes which is like taking car service without the charge since it makes no stops usually from Victory to Forest. :cool:

Here of late I try to get the last X14 or X30 so this way I don't have to deal w/the local bus at all or if I have to stay late I'll take the X10 to car service.

Since the X10 is less crowded than the X1, couldn't you take the X10 to Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue and then take the S48 across. You'd have a better chance at getting a seat, so you'd be able to sleep for most of your trip.

BTW, me being the space-conscious person (since I hate it when there is space that isn't being used, and I don't want to be a hypocrite), I always sit on the local bus, provided the seat isn't visibly dirty, and there is space to sit (some people take up two seats, and I don't feel like arguing with them)

Since the X10 is less crowded than the X1, couldn't you take the X10 to Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue and then take the S48 across. You'd have a better chance at getting a seat, so you'd be able to sleep for most of your trip.

BTW, me being the space-conscious person (since I hate it when there is space that isn't being used, and I don't want to be a hypocrite), I always sit on the local bus, provided the seat isn't visibly dirty, and there is space to sit (some people take up two seats, and I don't feel like arguing with them)

Yes, I've done that too a lot, but there is a draw back. The S48 runs far less frequently than the S53 and they don't link up the way the X1 and S53 do. Even if the MTA isn't trying to link the X1 with the S53 (though they may be since quite a few folks use that set up) the frequency between them is so great that they do link up, with me having to wait at the most 15 minutes even at 00:00 at night and at the least 3 - 5 minutes, as opposed to a 30 minute wait on the S48. Taking the X10 to the S48 may add an additional 15 to 30 minutes to my commute, making it about a one hour and 15 minute to an hour an a half commute. However, if the X10 is empty and the B/O is driving like a speed demond, I will usually take that set up since even with the wait the commute may be just 15 minutes more than the X1/S53 set up. It's also quicker time wise on the S48 since it's about 10 minutes to my stop from Richmond Ave so I spend less time on the local bus.

The S78 is COMPLETELY out of Charleston. The reason why you see Castleton and Yukon stickers on some of the buses is because the Charleston Depot sticker has not been placed on the buses as of yet. However, some S78s do come out of Yukon and those are school trippers from Luten and Eyelandt (Tottenvile HS). But make no mistake, the route is not "split" between any depots.

The S78 is COMPLETELY out of Charleston. The reason why you see Castleton and Yukon stickers on some of the buses is because the Charleston Depot sticker has not been placed on the buses as of yet. However, some S78s do come out of Yukon and those are school trippers from Luten and Eyelandt (Tottenvile HS). But make no mistake, the route is not "split" between any depots.

All of the S78s I saw last Thursday had the Charleston stickers on them. By now all of the buses should have been rotated accordingly, but Staten Island is unique in terms of all of the depots sort of being connected in a way. I see B/Os driving on lines out of Meredith that I know for sure used to be out of Castleton. A few years back when we had so many broken down buses, I'm sure Castleton and Yukon were borrowing buses from each other to try to deal with the bus shortage.

Today on my way to Whole Foods, I spotted 2760 on the X1 with Castleton stickers... The 2700s are usually out of Yukon, so is this one of those tripper runs or did they just not change the stickers on this one yet??

Most likely, the sticker has not yet been changed. The X1 has always been out of Yukon, I assume.

Archived