B63 to Get Real Time Tracking

jacsnyy

Personally, I think everything up to the railroad tracks is alright. The houses all look well-maintained up to that point. After the railroad tracks, the area starts to get more shabby (and the fact that Richmond Terrace is nearby with all of those warehouses and all doesn't help).

Part of the reason for me feeling more comfortable in that area is because a lot of students in my school live in that area, and none of them have ever really told me of any problems (except for one friend who lived north of the railroad tracks). Therefore, I felt more comfortable visiting the area and found out for myself that it isn't too bad.

I guess we all have different tolerances as far as what we consider to be "safe". But you have to consider that not all "bad" areas are equally bad. You can't compare any section of Mariners' Harbor to a place like Brownsville or some of the neighborhoods in Detroit or Camden.

Well the areas look depressed like you said w/all of the factories in parts of SI and such, but Brownsville... Now that area is just dangerous dude. I mean those folks over there are like hostages at night. They must run home from the bus and not come out until daylight w/all of the shootings and such. :eek:

It's online:

http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=185

http://bustime.mta.info/

MTA BusTime will take the guesswork out of waiting for the next bus through enhanced global positioning system devices, installed on 30 buses along the B63 route, that triangulate bus locations in real time. Accessible through cell phones and other electronic devices, all bus customers have to do is text us a code that will be prominently displayed at their bus stop. They will immediately receive a return text with the real-time locations of the next several buses.

The MTA is also working with area merchants along the route, who will soon be installing LCD signs that will display bus locations in real-time. So, bus customers can sip on their morning coffee or pick up a newspaper while knowing when their next bus is going to arrive.

Electronically-savvy customers can also use their Smartphones to snap a picture of a two-dimensional barcode we've installed at every B63 stop. A barcode-reading app can then interpret this information, and take you directly to our mobile website.

Unlike the Manhattan cross-town pilots on the M16 and M34 routes, the B63 system was developed in-house allowing for increased flexibility and a cost reduction approaching 70 percent, compared to the vendor pilots. This means MTA BusTime can be expanded to more bus routes more quickly.

No bus-shelter signs, but barcodes? Interesting! The in-house aspect is also good, as it gets done a lot faster than if it were contracted (just look at the PA/CIS systems). Also note that the online real-time map also shows the school tripper route.

The B63 BusTime demo has missing features from the M16/M34 BusTime from Clever Devices. One of which is approximate time arrivals from the stop on the web and maybe on the LED signs attach to the bus stop (yeah, in my dreams). If they combine it, it will be great for the riders.

BTW, it seems only Orion VII CNG exclusive on that route... what a shame.

The B63 BusTime demo has missing features from the M16/M34 BusTime from Clever Devices. One of which is approximate time arrivals from the stop on the web and maybe on the LED signs attach to the bus stop (yeah, in my dreams). If they combine it, it will be great for the riders.

BTW, it seems only Orion VII CNG exclusive on that route... what a shame.

Does it have automated announcements?

So, I live just off 5th Avenue in Park Slope, and I continue to hearbuses pass my block on the B63 but the map hasn't shown thoses buses anywhere near my block. Some kinks in the system maybe?

not all the buses being used have GPS it seems. From what I saw, only the ones with the BusTime ads on them are being tracked. So, so far this gets a meh from me but it's definitely a foot in the right direction.

Well the areas look depressed like you said w/all of the factories in parts of SI and such, but Brownsville... Now that area is just dangerous dude. I mean those folks over there are like hostages at night. They must run home from the bus and not come out until daylight w/all of the shootings and such. :eek:

Yep, I saw an documentary on Youtube of what goes on in Brownsville @ night and it was :eek::eek::eek:

Dudes was openly firing shots in front of the camera and after two dudes within the same gang had an fight, then the ring leader got shot in an ambush attack several days later by an rival thug, his attitude did an compete 180 after he got shot, its crazy out there!

not all the buses being used have GPS it seems. From what I saw, only the ones with the BusTime ads on them are being tracked. So, so far this gets a meh from me but it's definitely a foot in the right direction.

Some of the Orion VII CNGs GPS system has problems already... They are being fixed.

From what it seems only the Orion VII CNGs have GPS trackers installed.

30+ of them installed on Orion VII CNG buses... 0 for C40LF... not priceless.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

From what it seems only the Orion VII CNGs have GPS trackers installed.

I noticed that as well when I was in Park Slope earlier today. All of them have that GPS ad all over the bus

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I noticed that as well when I was in Park Slope earlier today. All of them have that GPS ad all over the bus

Here's one (7560)---not on the B63, shot in between classes and lab by yours truly this afternoon.

th_7560-F.jpg th_7560-R.jpg

Archived