8713-8722 Set @ Jamaica

VIP

I have a few questions in reguards to 8713-8722. its been over a year since The (E) had that set, so im guessing its a permanent set for Jamaica right? if so, why not run that set all day or Run it on the (F)/® trains when needed to make service? if the (MTA) calls this a pilot, its pretty useless because NEVER have I seen the Seats Folded up

Guest lance25

@VIP: I believe the (MTA) quietly determined the folded seat test was a bust, especially with all of the public backlash they got.

As to why the consist doesn't pop up on any of Jamaica's lines, it's probably because it's not needed.

I rode that set for the first time, I think, last Wednesday afternoon, going towards the city. It was around six o' clock. I purposely sat in one of the different cars. I like the seats, they're comfortable, too. On top of that, that same set arrived at Penn. when i was going home. So, I rode it twice in one day. I think it's in regular service, now. I used to only see it going in it's peak direction: Jamaica-bound in the PM.

The 8713-22 set @ Jamaica has been there for several months I personally never see the seats up I wish one day to see it b\c I can't stand the (E) & most of is riders.Over the Summer they were supposed too be up but I don't think they ever were.I see this set everyonce in a while on 8th Av and I only see it on the (E).But the seat thing is the WORST worst than the rest of the rest 160 fleet seats they are HARD and if u sit on those for a while when you get up your ass will be in discomfort also your back.If they had a 15 degree slant(laid back) or something then it would be better.But those are killers to our backs & asses.

There's something odd about that set 8713-22 also I just don't know what but it differs from the rest of the 160 fleet.

But yea it was sent to Jamaica for the Seat Up/Down pilot and those you sat would get fined.

As of today I'm sure its still running out of Jamaica.But that set of train cars has the worst seats in the system.

What was wrong with the seats?

They're HORRIBLE.Trust me one day ride that set most likely appear on the (E) and sit down for a while and tell us how u feel after getting up.But not in2 much detail.Bootleg fake wannabe bucket seating.Unless you have a FLAT ass and back those seats are perfect.

I have pictures of the 2 cars with folding seats. The seats don't go up though. They're just split into 3 sections to show that 3 people can sit there. The seats don't go out as much as the normal seats. There are also a couple of other quirks with these cars. I think they're 8713 and 8716

This pilot could have been worth it if the (MTA) ripped those seats right out instead of using folding seats.

I have to agree with you 100%.All they had to do was remove the seats & add additional poles and possibly going old school with straps here and there.They might even had to cover the windows b\c I know someone will try to sit on the ledge of the window.

When they go up do they have to be locked with a chain or key or they automatically lock?

I have to agree with you 100%.All they had to do was remove the seats & add additional poles and possibly going old school with straps here and there.They might even had to cover the windows b\c I know someone will try to sit on the ledge of the window.

When they go up do they have to be locked with a chain or key or they automatically lock?

sitting on the ledge of the window would be Impossible because of the curve and the absence of the bench to keep steady. if the seats were to be folded up, its locked by a key

well if the pilot was a fail, is the (MTA) going to have those four cars rebuilt back to the original interior? or is Jamaica going to have 1 weird trainset popping up on the (E) line for many years?

Why should they spend the money to replace the seats?

Archived