Routes that aren't around that should be

Bus Guy

I know this must have been suggested before, but probably not in such detail...

Seemingly the only way to accomplish this is to recreate the (V) as a service between 179 and Kings Hwy (Queens Blvd Express via 53rd street, Culver local) during the week.

Decrease rush hour (F) service as a result (namely all those Kings Hwy rush hour service) and a slight decrease in off-peak (F) service. Slight decrease in (M) service during the rush hour as well. Eliminate rush hour (E) service to 179. 179 is the only current terminal with room for a second service (1/2 tracks for the (V), 3/4 tracks for the (F). Limited (F) Hillside express service can be re-established during the rush hours (similar to how (Z) service runs now) as there is now dedicated local service on Hillside that still runs express after 75th as the (F) does now.

In Brooklyn, (G) service can continue to Church as it does now along with the (V), (F) express both directions during the day whenever the (V) is running from Jay to Kings Hwy (peak after Church). With slightly less service on the (M) and (F), the local 6Av tracks can handle the third (V) service. Slight modification to the switches at Kings Highway to allow this, the current configuration does not work that well.

This seemingly solves the 1-train ride (no seats as you know at Lex-53rd lol) to Hillside via 53rd and the Culver express issues without sacrificing much, and keeps the successful (M) combination as well as squeezes in a little Hillside express in the peak direction.

The (E)(M)(V) might not all fit in the 53rd tunnel. If the (V) went via 63rd, then IMO all would be good. But there's an issue with all that:

(E) service will have to be decreased, which will be an issue for 8 Av-QBL riders.

As to the pic 7-11 posted, I don't know which rocket scientist thought it'd be a good idea to label the via Fulton St diversion as "via 8 Av", but they should be fired. Is the train being rerouted via Eighth Avenue proper? No. Is the train on Eighth Avenue when stopping at Spring, Chambers & Fulton Sts? No, it's on Sixth Avenue and Fulton St. Stupid programmers.

It's on the Eighth Avenue Line, so via 8 Av makes sense. And via Fulton St would make it sound like it's going to Euclid.

@Wallyhorse: The Cranberry tube/Jay St interlocking would not be able to handle (A)(C)(E)(F) trains.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25
Again if we are to bring back the (V) then we should kill the current (M), bring back the (Mx), and send it back to Brooklyn like it always was, and this time make it a full route so it would go to Bay Parkway at all times.

So let me get this straight, you want to get rid of the current (M), a route that greatly helps passengers in Ridgewood & Bushwick and bring back the (Mx), a route that was barely useful in its former incarnation. And to have it run to Bay Pkwy at all times, no less? Get the **** out of here! The only way the (V) will come back is if there's overwhelming opposition to the (M), which I haven't seen. Plus, it's not like the (M) is much different from the (V). Outside of the fact that the (M) doesn't stop at 2 Av, they're the same routing, just extended to Middle Village.

Alright then, but there are people that used the (Mx) to get to South Brooklyn I know some of these people. How about why don't we just create another service from Nassau Street to South Brooklyn. Or we don't have to bring back the (V), and find some other service to run as the Culver Local. Why don't we find some way to connect the (W) or something onto the Culver Line.

Alright then, but there are people that used the (Mx) to get to South Brooklyn I know some of these people. How about why don't we just create another service from Nassau Street to South Brooklyn.

OMG. Have them take the (D) to the (R). There's more Middle-Village/Jamaica line residents wanting Midtown than West End riders wanting the (Mx).

horrible idea, the commute from 179th street would be much longer. Theres a reason express routes go to the furthermost ends of the system

The (F) would be truncated at 71st-Continental in his plan. The (M) would be express to/from 179th and the (F) would run local to/from Continental in Queens under his scenario (except at night when the (F) would run local from 179th, which it used to do in the late 70s and early 80s). Service west of 36th Street would be unchanged - (F) via 63rd, (M) via 53rd.

Would it at all be possible to send some J or M trains onto the L line or vice versa?

I beleieve there was a connection at one time at least in the case of the J and L lines at Broadway Junction. (I forgot whether the L is elevated or still in subway when it crosses Myrtle.)

1) Why does Culver need two locals (not to mention one's going to Eighth Avenue)? Generally, people riding on Culver want Sixth Avenue service. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule (as is always the case), but for the most part, it's true.

The biggest complaint that comes from people along Park Slope, especially those that live at stations with the express track is the lack of express service along that line as I understand. Having the (F) as a full-time express (outside of overnights) and an 8th Avenue Line take over as the local can do that, especially since in that format the 8th Avenue train also stops at Broadway-Lafayette, where those affected can make a same platform transfer to the (B)(D)(F) or (M). By the time this would take effect in 2012-'13, the transfer at Broadway-Lafayette to/from the uptown (6) also will be in place, which also is a factor in my doing this.

The (C) being the 8th Avenue Line that diverts to go with the (F) as the new Culver Local is to give Park Slope riders a one-seat option if going to midtown via 8th Avenue as well as a one-seat ride to the upper west side they currently don't have. It could also be the (E), but the (C) to me makes more sense since it gives Park Slope riders and upper Manhattan one-seat ride option.

As for the (E), since I would also have a new (K) train that would effective replace the (C) as a lower Manhattan local on 8th Avenue (since the (C) with leave the line after West 4th), the long (E) train can be a second 8th avenue express as well as becoming the Fulton Express with the (A) returning to being the Fulton Local if that is an issue. The fact that the (A) is the Far Rockaway train is why I would have the (E) as the local to Lefferts (again, eliminating the overnight (S) between Lefferts and Euclid), but those could be flip-flopped if necessary.

Just my thoughts.

Guest lance25

@RC1: Yep, you did.

All the Fourth Avenue lines needs is a slight increase in (R) trains, not the resurrection of a couple of lines that were barely useful during the rush hours, much less so at other times.

@Wallyhouse: So by giving riders easy access to Eighth Avenue service, you feel that you're appeasing the folks at the local stops between Church Av & Jay St? I doubt it. If they really wanted Eighth Ave service, they can transfer across the platform at Jay St-MetroTech.

Also, whether it's on Eighth Avenue or Sixth Avenue, you can't have three local trains on one set of tracks. It'll cause massive delays, much more so when the lines are FUBARed as they usually are.

Yeah, but another good idea the people keep bringing up is the (W). When the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway comes up the (Q) would have to go to 96th Street. It would be a good idea to bring back the (W) once this happens, and have it run from Bay Parkway to Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard.

I know some person decided to play with the rollsign lol. Not me though. Found it online though someone was playing with it.

During the summer of 2009 R42s out of Jamaica were only used on the (R) and (V) routes. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the <R> was closer to (V) than (R) was and workers at 71st sometimes didn't change the side signs all the way to (R), and short stopped at <R> instead.

Anyway I am sure the (W) option is the best idea. It seems to be a good idea to see it come back once the (Q) goes to Second Avenue. It would be pretty interesting to see the (W) back on the West End Line, but what really matters is that we have a back up line in case something happens to the (D).

3031651567_765b794c84.jpg

LOL I am gonna piss of some people here by posting this LOL.

BrownR.jpg

This makes me miss the R42's on the Queens Blvd Line (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) More! :cry:

I remember 2 years ago I was at 36 Street (Heading to C.I. beach), and R42 (R) comes in with most of the train signed up as (V).

yay, A (V) train in south Brooklyn! :drool:

Yeah that is a great idea if you want to slow the (F) down to the speed of a typical (R) train. We are going to here more complaints from Queens residents if this goes through.

They'd still have an express service, the (M), to/from 6th Avenue. And it would run through the busier 53rd Street tunnel. What would there be to complain about?

Well... Have suggestions...

(V) Chambers Street - Coney Island Via Brighton

(W) Via West End, Broadway & Astoria Express

(M) well keep it that way If you highlight this, then I would rather have Brown M Back IMO!!!

Bring Back the (9), but make It Broadway Express.

Archived