Routes that aren't around that should be

Bus Guy

That's an interesting proposal. But do you think that the (Q) and the Culver Express should both run to 96 St., or just the Express? Or perhaps the (Q) and a rush hour only Culver Express service?

I think the (Q) and a rush-hour express would work. The idea is that QBL might not be able to handle the amount of (F)<F> trains.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't there a track switch between 4th Av? Or did I get smething wrong...

That, plus who knows the MTA is not making Smith-9th an express stop too? They are remodeling the station now which causes the GO's. So who says they're not adding a track or something else to make it a express stop too?

They are not. It is a rehab to use the express track. They will not make Smith-9th Street an express station. Why would they do it when a similar easier transfer exist at Lawrence Street-Metrotech.

To have a G express? If so many people want an Culver Express and if it's really that crowded in peak, then I'm sure MTA would know that too, thus making things ready for an Culver Express. Then it would make sense to make Smith-9th an express stop, since the G is ending there and then the G would be the Culver Express.

To have a G express? If so many people want an Culver Express and if it's really that crowded in peak, then I'm sure MTA would know that too, thus making things ready for an Culver Express. Then it would make sense to make Smith-9th an express stop, since the G is ending there and then the G would be the Culver Express.

The (G) cannot run express. The (G) Crosstown line connects only to the Culver Local tracks. That is done just north of the Bergen Street station, before the express and local track merge. Only trains going to/from Manhattan via Jay Street can access the Culver Express tracks.

The (G) cannot run express. The (G) Crosstown line connects only to the Culver Local tracks. That is done just north of the Bergen Street station, before the express and local track merge. Only trains going to/from Manhattan via Jay Street can access the Culver Express tracks.

Ow okay, thanks for the explanation, now I understand ;)

Just a thought.... the (F) and (M) switched nothern terminals. The (F) terminals at Forest Hills via 63rd St and Queens Local and the (M) at 179th St via 53rd St and Queens Exp. Less stations for the (F) to handle alone, then have a <F> express to Coney Island and (F) local to Church Av

Will the QB relay tracks be able to handle the higher-frequency (F) along with the (R)? What will serve 179th Street weekends and late nights when the (M) doesn't run?

Will the QB relay tracks be able to handle the higher-frequency (F) along with the (R)? What will serve 179th Street weekends and late nights when the (M) doesn't run?
I was thinking when the economy gets better, the (M) goes to 179th St all times except late nights with the (F) replacing the (M) to 179th.

Guest lance25

I would bring the (G) back to Forest Hills. I've noticed that the (G) would be really useful with all these (E) via the (F) G.O.s as of late. But alas, what are you gonna do; no money, no extended (G).

Just a thought.... the (F) and (M) switched nothern terminals. The (F) terminals at Forest Hills via 63rd St and Queens Local and the (M) at 179th St via 53rd St and Queens Exp. Less stations for the (F) to handle alone, then have a <F> express to Coney Island and (F) local to Church Av

horrible idea, the commute from 179th street would be much longer. Theres a reason express routes go to the furthermost ends of the system

I know this must have been suggested before, but probably not in such detail...

Seemingly the only way to accomplish this is to recreate the (V) as a service between 179 and Kings Hwy (Queens Blvd Express via 53rd street, Culver local) during the week.

Decrease rush hour (F) service as a result (namely all those Kings Hwy rush hour service) and a slight decrease in off-peak (F) service. Slight decrease in (M) service during the rush hour as well. Eliminate rush hour (E) service to 179. 179 is the only current terminal with room for a second service (1/2 tracks for the (V), 3/4 tracks for the (F). Limited (F) Hillside express service can be re-established during the rush hours (similar to how (Z) service runs now) as there is now dedicated local service on Hillside that still runs express after 75th as the (F) does now.

In Brooklyn, (G) service can continue to Church as it does now along with the (V), (F) express both directions during the day whenever the (V) is running from Jay to Kings Hwy (peak after Church). With slightly less service on the (M) and (F), the local 6Av tracks can handle the third (V) service. Slight modification to the switches at Kings Highway to allow this, the current configuration does not work that well.

This seemingly solves the 1-train ride (no seats as you know at Lex-53rd lol) to Hillside via 53rd and the Culver express issues without sacrificing much, and keeps the successful (M) combination as well as squeezes in a little Hillside express in the peak direction.

When juxtaposed…

The (G) is not going to Coney Island. Stop foaming there is no more room in Coney Island for another train unless they remove one. The (G) is also a crosstown line, and people on the Culver Line would complain if it goes down the Culver Line, because they want Manhattan. Plus extending the (G) to Manhattan would kill the purpose of the crosstown line so no. How the hell is an Eighth Avenue service get to Coney Island when there is no way it can be send down there without digging a connection to a Coney Island bound line. The (MTA) has no money for foamtastic dreams. Get Real!.:mad:
I do remember reading that a <F> would slow down service on the Culver Line, because they would have to make a specific train an express train, and a specific train a local train. Thus if you move the (G) down a bit more it could alleviate this type of pain, because you would have the same amount of train frequencies with express service.

…it's hard to figure out what your point is.

So should Culver have (G) service or not?

I know I'm late but did someone order up a train to C.I via 8th?

20110219144027-d1e92b64.jpg

I think I was on that train in the afternoon. I was heading to Coney Island from Canal Street with a friend who was going to 59 Street in Brooklyn. I took the (R) over the bridge to Pacific Street, saw the (F) across the platform and boarded the train while dragging my friend along. I knew the West End line was being worked on southbound, so I insisted she get on the (F) train since it was pretty much guaranteed to stop at 59 Street, and faster. (The conductor was confused at 36 Street, announcing 9 Avenue as the next stop.)

On examination of the train's interior, the FIND displays said the train was a Forest Hills–bound (R) with the next stop being City Hall. The exterior display read (F) via 8 Avenue. The whole trip to Coney Island was slow, possibly because several (F) trains were rerouted through Sea Beach.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

They also got a (D) to Far Rockaway (somehow)

Thats in the R160 program, not the R46 B).

Anyways, I would do several things:

-Have what the (N) & (R) did back in the old days, swap terminals with the (N) to Forest Hills & (R) to Ditmars Blvd.

-Have a service labeled (K), runs from Jamaica 179 Street-71 Avenue Via Local, then Express from 71 Avenue-Queens Plaza. From there it goes via 53 Street, then down 8 Avenue via Local. After that it would run down to West 4 Street, Where it would switch over to the (D) line, then run down to the 4th Avenue line (Via Express). It then would go onto the West End Line, where it would terminate at 9 Avenue (Rush Hours Bay Parkway).

Another one is extending the (G) rush hours to Kings Highway. Also have the (G) 6 cars rush hours.

I know some of this sounds like a Foamtastic Idea, but it is possible...

You're right about the (G) never being a Culver Express. That would be completely useless in this case, even if you reopened the lower level at Bergen.

Shorter version of what I wrote earlier that I would do along the Culver/6th/8th Avenue/Fulton Lines when the viaduct work is complete:

(A): All trains all times to Far Rockaway excluding the handful of (A)'s that go to Rockaway Park.

(C): Joins the (F) along the Culver Line, operating along with the (G) to Church Avenue as the Culver Local, except overnights.

(E): Replaces the (C) in lower Manhattan, the Cranberry Street tunnel and along Fulton Street in Brooklyn and replaces the (A) to Lefferts (though some (E)s would terminate at Euclid). Since the (E) would be 24/7, it also replaces the overnight (S) between Lefferts and Euclid (with all overnight (E)s to Lefferts).

(F): Runs as a full-time Culver Express except during overnights when it would still be a local. The lower level of Bergen Street station is completely rehabbed and re-opened as an express stop for the (F), while the (C) and (G) would stop on the upper level. Those along Park Slope who need 6th Avenue specifically would be able to switch to the (B)(D)(F) or (M) at Broadway-Lafayette or West 4th (and by the time this happened, the uptown transfer to the (6) should be in operation).

(G): Remains as-is

(K): New train that acts as a supplement (4-5 TPH most times, 2 TPH overnights) along the 8th Avenue Line between Chambers-WTC and 145th or 168th as a local. This covers those too lazy to walk up to the current A platform at Chambers as well as those looking for/at Spring/50th Streets looking for/on CPW.

The re-routed (E) and new (K) as 24/7 lines would allow the (A) to become a 24/7 express line in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Guest lance25

@Wallyhorse: That has to be the most convoluted service plan I've seen in a while (and I've seen some of the most outrageous fantasy maps on this site).

1) Why does Culver need two locals (not to mention one's going to Eighth Avenue)? Generally, people riding on Culver want Sixth Avenue service. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule (as is always the case), but for the most part, it's true.

2) There's a reason why the (E) was truncated from Euclid Av/the Rockaways decades ago - the line was too damn long, hence why it only ran during rush hours. If the plan you're suggesting was implemented, the crews would hang you as that would be a 2hr+ run in just one direction.

3) Outside of rush hours, is there really a need for Culver Express service? I doubt it.

4) We already have a (K) line. It's called the (C). Take that and move on.

As to the pic 7-11 posted, I don't know which rocket scientist thought it'd be a good idea to label the via Fulton St diversion as "via 8 Av", but they should be fired. Is the train being rerouted via Eighth Avenue proper? No. Is the train on Eighth Avenue when stopping at Spring, Chambers & Fulton Sts? No, it's on Sixth Avenue and Fulton St. Stupid programmers.

Archived