NJ Transit Express Buses

Via Garibaldi 8

Does anyone know why they turn the lights off and on constantly on the NJTransit express buses? It's extremely irritating since the lights are so bright. Another thing they need to do is put in automated announcements. I can never understand any of those B/Os... In sum for $4.25 each way, those express buses leave me with a headache! :mad:

P.S. I normally use the 162 or 163...

You have to keep in mind that when the bus leaves the Port Authority and NYC, once they hit their first town (i.e. for the 163 it's either Union City or East Rutherford), some of these routes are local all the way to their destination. So just because a route uses MCI's, doesn't mean that route is necessarily an express route. For the portion where it just runs on highway, then lights out, but when it's making all kinds of local stops, some drivers would keep the lights on, or they'll turn them on when someone is getting off so they can see what's along their path and the aisle.

New Jersey Transit is not the MTA, period. Things run different around these parts.

I usually catch the 162 express which bypasses a lot of stops. Once those buses start going local they should just keep the friggin lights on. I mean it's pitch black in NJ so you can't really see anything because of the poor lighting on the street and then when someone rings the bell, "BAM" there goes those bright @ss lights killing your eyes. I feel like I'm in an interrogation room or something. It just seems like for what they charge they do their best to make the commute as uncomfortable as possible. The buses are always ice boxes too not matter how cold it is outside. If they do have any heat, you wouldn't know it.

The only thing that is good about them is that they're relatively clean and generally ontime. I just don't get the point of them announcing the stops though. I know it's required or whatever, but it's all garbled, so it's rather pointless.

I usually catch the 162 express which bypasses a lot of stops. Once those buses start going local they should just keep the friggin lights on. I mean it's pitch black in NJ so you can't really see anything because of the poor lighting on the street and then when someone rings the bell, "BAM" there goes those bright @ss lights killing your eyes. I feel like I'm in an interrogation room or something. It just seems like for what they charge they do their best to make the commute as uncomfortable as possible. The buses are always ice boxes too not matter how cold it is outside. If they do have any heat, you wouldn't know it.

The only thing that is good about them is that they're relatively clean and generally ontime. I just don't get the point of them announcing the stops though. I know it's required or whatever, but it's all garbled, so it's rather pointless.

Dude calm down! NJT and MTA are 2 diff agency's here. We use MCIs on the majority of our routes Express/Local routes. Where the MTA only use MCIs on express routes. We keep the lights on so people can see to get off when walking in the isle. I keep them off and only turn them on when someone is getting off. I could go deeply into this but I dont have the time to.

Dude calm down! NJT and MTA are 2 diff agency's here. We use MCIs on the majority of our routes Express/Local routes. Where the MTA only use MCIs on express routes. We keep the lights on so people can see to get off when walking in the isle. I keep them off and only turn them on when someone is getting off. I could go deeply into this but I dont have the time to.

Yes, I know all of that. They have to be on so people can see naturally since it's so dark in NJ, but once you start making local stops they'd be better off just leaving them on. I doubt I'm the only one that finds the constant on and off w/the lights irritating on the eyes.

Yes, I know all of that. They have to be on so people can see naturally since it's so dark in NJ, but once you start making local stops they'd be better off just leaving them on. I doubt I'm the only one that finds the constant on and off w/the lights irritating on the eyes.

Some drivers like to keep them on, some dont. NJ being dark has nothing to do with anything. If someone rides a certain route all the time, they know when there stop is coming. The routes that run on Blvd East(128, 168 ect) those drivers keep the lights on because every other block someone is getting on/off.

The term express bus is used differently in NJ. Routes like the 167T means Turnpike Express to Teaneck then Local the rest of the way.

assuming you drive, think about this like you're driving in your own personal vehicle @ night....

do you really keep the interior lights on?

IMO, doing so is far more a distraction when you have your headlights on, on top of contending w/ all the other light sources on the road/adjacent/above the road... on top of judging what the next fool in front of, or alongside you, is tryin to do.... I'm very wary of drunk drivers, as they're more common an occurrence @ night....

...and when I say "on the road", I'm referring to other motorists w/ their headlights/high beams, rear lights, side lights, and the speed racers w/ their neon under-chassis lights on....

assuming you drive, think about this like you're driving in your own personal vehicle @ night....

do you really keep the interior lights on?

IMO, doing so is far more a distraction when you have your headlights on, on top of contending w/ all the other light sources on the road/adjacent/above the road... on top of judging what the next fool in front of, or alongside you, is tryin to do.... I'm very wary of drunk drivers, as they're more common an occurrence @ night....

...and when I say "on the road", I'm referring to other motorists w/ their headlights/high beams, rear lights, side lights, and the speed racers w/ their neon under-chassis lights on....

It's just that the lights on these buses are SO bright! You go a few blocks with the lights out and it's pitch black then BOOM the bright lights back on again. Then some of them have the over head lights on too. The whole thing literally gave me a headache. Its like overkill between the pitch darkness out there and those extremely bright lights. I'm sure you've witnessed drivers with their headlights on higher than what it needs to be and its to the point that it's annoying on the eyes. Same thing with those NJ Transit buses. I don't think it has anything to do with different transit companies. More like common sense from NJTransit. There needs to be some sort of balance between the blaring lights and the pitch darkness. If anything can't they just turn off some of those lights like they do on the MTA express buses with just the lights on the side?? This way people can sleep and can also see when they need to get off.

It's just that the lights on these buses are SO bright! You go a few blocks with the lights out and it's pitch black then BOOM the bright lights back on again. Then some of them have the over head lights on too. The whole thing literally gave me a headache. Its like overkill between the pitch darkness out there and those extremely bright lights. I'm sure you've witnessed drivers with their headlights on higher than what it needs to be and its to the point that it's annoying on the eyes. Same thing with those NJ Transit buses. I don't think it has anything to do with different transit companies. More like common sense from NJTransit. There needs to be some sort of balance between the blaring lights and the pitch darkness. If anything can't they just turn off some of those lights like they do on the MTA express buses with just the lights on the side?? This way people can sleep and can also see when they need to get off.

There LED Lights, and LEDs are super bright lights and they use less power. If its such a problem for you then dont ride NJT. If your going to let lights bother your trip, then your a stone idiot. Most people want them on so they can read there paper ect. Some drivers keep them on so people can see the stop request button.

The bus is not there to make you happy. Its there to get you to point A & B. There is also a option to the passenger can turn the light on themself, but in a case when the personal light is busted, then its easy to keep them all on. As for turning the lights on/off, I never had anyone to say they have a problem with it. I use to work graveyard shift and never had anyone say a word. Most of them slept right through it. As for sleeping you should have gotten the sleep you needed when you were at home, and when people miss there stop because of sleeping I laugh.

There LED Lights, and LEDs are super bright lights and they use less power. If its such a problem for you then dont ride NJT. If your going to let lights bother your trip, then your a stone idiot. Most people want them on so they can read there paper ect. Some drivers keep them on so people can see the stop request button.

The bus is not there to make you happy. Its there to get you to point A & B. There is also a option to the passenger can turn the light on themself, but in a case when the personal light is busted, then its easy to keep them all on. As for turning the lights on/off, I never had anyone to say they have a problem with it. I use to work graveyard shift and never had anyone say a word. Most of them slept right through it. As for sleeping you should have gotten the sleep you needed when you were at home, and when people miss there stop because of sleeping I laugh.

I guess you never ever ever ever have a problem w/anything... Mr. you should do this that and the third like I don't know what the bus is for. I don't need an intro course for the purpose of the bus. :) I think my ride on NJT will be just fine so long as you aren't my driver!

I guess you never ever ever ever have a problem w/anything... Mr. you should do this that and the third. :) I think my ride on NJT will be just fine so long as you aren't my driver!

Lol! I have a problem with a lot of things. I just feel that most people dont care about the lights.

Maybe I should head to the Oradell Garage and post on the 162/163 hahahahah :cool:

Lol! I have a problem with a lot of things. I just feel that most people dont care about the lights.

Maybe I should head to the Oradell Garage and post on the 162/163 hahahahah :cool:

You like to get under my skin, I know. You remind me of my uncle. Typical B/O, as I'm sure he'd say something like you said. lol

high beams... yeah, they can be annoying on the eyes if you sit there & stare at them.... I can say the same thing about the sun....

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, or that you're lying about your complaint....

I am saying that you're making an issue out of something very petty w/ this....

The bus driver isn't there to make sure you are comfortable... he/she's there to get you from point A to point B along the route... that's all & that's it.... everything else is secondary; including catching a snooze along the ride...

...and making this out to be a NJ/NJT problem... You ARE comparing how NJT does things, to how MTA does things.... you ARE making this about what one transit company does, over the other..... and of all things, the interior lighting on the bus.....

I just feel that most people dont care about the lights.

They don't... which feeds into what I said in the above.

Stuff like this, is the #1 reason I drive solo now... When I used to carry friends & family around, I was quick to stop the car (yes, even on the shoulder of a highway) and tell them, if you don't like how fast I'm driving... if you think I'm going the wrong way, GTFO & walk.... Some things I take personally, my driving is one of them....

I had a big argument w/ my female cousin & her friends over this... Her friends wanted to get back to Queens so they can hoochie over here, hoochie over there to some party.... I didn't know these chicks from adam... took them to the mall (woodbury common to be exact), only b/c they were w/ my cousin.... they were bit**ing @ me like we been chill w/ each other for years... I'm like, yo, who do you think you are talking to.... eventually came to a point where I slammed on the brakes & made all their a**es get out of my car... How they got from exit 6 on the palisades, to NYC that day, I don't know... and to this day, I don't care...

I don't talk to that female cousin of mine no more, either....

And I don't lose a wink of sleep over it.

high beams... yeah, they can be annoying on the eyes if you sit there & stare at them.... I can say the same thing about the sun....

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, or that you're lying about your complaint....

I am saying that you're making an issue out of something very petty w/ this....

The bus driver isn't there to make sure you are comfortable... he/she's there to get you from point A to point B along the route... that's all & that's it.... everything else is secondary; including catching a snooze along the ride...

...and making this out to be a NJ/NJT problem... You ARE comparing how NJT does things, to how MTA does things.... you ARE making this about what one transit company does, over the other..... and of all things, the interior lighting on the bus.....

Well let's put it this way... If you were somewhere in pitch darkness and someone kept turning all of the bright @ss lights on and off every few minutes, after a while of this (say 45 minutes or so), you'd get irritated w/it too or rather your eyes would. That's all I'm saying. Either leave them off or keep them on, but having them flash off and on every few minutes is extremely pointless when you're making local stops every few minutes. I don't know about you, but when I'm paying my cash comfort is important to me.

Well let's put it this way... If you were somewhere in pitch darkness and someone kept turning all of the bright @ss lights on and off every few minutes, after a while of this (say 45 minutes or so), you'd get irritated w/it too or rather your eyes would. That's all I'm saying. Either leave them off or keep them on, but having them flash off and on every few minutes is extremely pointless when you're making local stops every few minutes. I don't know about you, but when I'm paying my cash comfort is important to me.

I'd find it to be more of a problem if the driver DIDN'T turn on the light at all in the "pitch darkness" as I'm getting on/off...

That, to me, is more of a concern as a passenger, than the turning on/off of lights as others are getting on/off (which I see as a non-issue)...

...and preaching to the choir about when you use your cash & what you expect out of it when you do so, doesn't make this claim of yours any less petty IMO....

I'd find it to be more of a problem if the driver DIDN'T turn on the light at all in the "pitch darkness" as I'm getting on/off...

That, to me, is more of a concern as a passenger, than the turning on/off of lights as others are getting on/off (which I see as a non-issue)...

...and preaching to the choir about when you use your cash & what you expect out of it when you do so, doesn't make this claim of yours any less petty IMO....

But what can I say.... :)

How they got from exit 6 on the palisades, to NYC that day, I don't know... and to this day, I don't care...

ROFLMAO! That's cold....leaving hoes in distress!:)

I know there is a setting for the operator to put on all the reading lights so it won't be so bad.

Customer option in older MCIs...standard in 2006 and up models!

Does anyone know why they turn the lights off and on constantly on the NJTransit express buses? It's extremely irritating since the lights are so bright. Another thing they need to do is put in automated announcements. I can never understand any of those B/Os... In sum for $4.25 each way, those express buses leave me with a headache! :mad:

Number one reason of why they don't leave the overhead lights on is the glare you get in the windshield. (NJT) goes into more rural areas than the (MTA) with the MCIs. A dark twisty rural route at night is different than blowing down Hyland Blvd.

Now I can agree that the LED lights are annoying, Personally I dislike how bright they are,but if they save the company money...then I gotta deal with it. In a situation where I would be making a lot of local stops with a MCI, I would use the "Half Light" setting, which turns on the lights over the parcel racks and use the "Full Light" setting at the end of the line. The Half light provides enough soft light to see and creates minimum glare on windshield. Using the test switch on the reading lights provides enough light also, but some people don't want the light blasting in the face.

All in all it's a personal preference of the B/O....if you don't like it,take another schedule.

Number one reason of why they don't leave the overhead lights on is the glare you get in the windshield. (NJT) goes into more rural areas than the (MTA) with the MCIs. A dark twisty rural route at night is different than blowing down Hyland Blvd.

Now I can agree that the LED lights are annoying, Personally I dislike how bright they are,but if they save the company money...then I gotta deal with it. In a situation where I would be making a lot of local stops with a MCI, I would use the "Half Light" setting, which turns on the lights over the parcel racks and use the "Full Light" setting at the end of the line. The Half light provides enough soft light to see and creates minimum glare on windshield. Using the test switch on the reading lights provides enough light also, but some people don't want the light blasting in the face.

All in all it's a personal preference of the B/O....if you don't like it,take another schedule.

Thanks for the info mate. At least now I understand why and it makes sense. I usually just go there to shop at the Garden State Plaza, so I'll have to try to arrange to go in the day time or make sure to bring my shades w/me if I go at night so I don't come back to NYC with a bloody headache like last time from those lights. :eek:

Archived