The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Anyone who thinks 'interleague' will fade away think again. This weekend MLB had their best weekend at the box office in almost 3 years with the slate of games.

And tonight the Yankees are playing the Reds in Cincy. The local Southern Ohio tv stations/media are getting this a 'playoff' type coverage leading their headlines.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_central_cincinnati/downtown/reds-begin-series-with-yankees

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'm alone here on saying Boston and the Yankees should be split, but I stand by what I said about your idea to have the 'top 3' teams Phillies, Boston and Yankees in the same division. 2 is tough enough, they need to be split for a reason.

The reason the Baltimore owner was against the Expos moving to DC was because that team would take away fans. The Nats should stay in the seperate league from Baltimore. Basically if you have two teams in the same division, you pretty much split the fan base as if one team does better than the other, the worse team is going to take a hit. It's best to keep them seperate.

The Yankees and Red Sox should never be split, and the Phillies need better competition. The Braves, Mets, Rays, etc. would improve drastically by such a move, and would likely become major forces in the NLE. I agree with your sentiments about Baltimore-DC.

New Idea:

NLE: Atlanta, NYM, Tampa, Toronto, Baltimore, Buffalo

NLC: CHC, St. Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti

NLW: SF, LA, Las Vegas (A's), SD, Houston

ALE: NYY, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Miami

ALC: CHW, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, KC

ALW: Texas, Anaheim, Colorado, Arizona, Seattle, San Antonio

Changes: I switched Baltimore and Miami, and Cincinatti and Milwaukee. Finalised new A's location (Las Vegas). Added two new teams to raise the number of teams to 32.

Playoff Structure: Leader of each division, plus 2 wild cards, would play one-game cofrences in a March Madness-style format. Basically, that means that the winner moves on and the loser would be eliminated. The world series would continue to be a 7-game affair, and would go unchanged.

Anything else I should change?

It's been done plenty of times during the regular season. Why not test the teams even more during the postseason?

And then we get two teams who are as tired as heck and won't play their best baseball. That's what the playoffs are supposed to test, not who can get over a cross-country flight.

In other news, after winning only one game in June 2011, the Florida Marlins decided to recreate the magic of 2003 and hired 80-year-old Jack McKeon (the guy who lead the Marlins to their 2003 World Series win over the Yankees) as skipper.

I think its too late for that

Anyone who thinks 'interleague' will fade away think again. This weekend MLB had their best weekend at the box office in almost 3 years with the slate of games.

And tonight the Yankees are playing the Reds in Cincy. The local Southern Ohio tv stations/media are getting this a 'playoff' type coverage leading their headlines.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_central_cincinnati/downtown/reds-begin-series-with-yankees

That number is going to be a bit scewed because of the Yankees-Cubs. Anytime you have two storied teams playing each other, you'll get very good numbers. On the flip side if you have say the Pirates vs mariners, you are likely going to have very low numbers.

Just saying.

In other MLB news, as the Yanks won in Cincy the 1st of a 3-game series, MLB Boss Bud Selig(I refuse to call him 'commish')has rejected the tenative contract between troubled Dodgers Owner Frank McCourt and Fox Sports Net Calif.

McCourt who had just reached a proposed divorce deal from his ex-wife late last week had been counting on monies from the Fox Sports Net to make payroll for rest of the season. Not to mention his personal debts as well including paying off his ex-wife who had been a part owner.

looks like barring a succesful lawsuit stopping it, looks like the Dodgers will soon be for sale again. Guys if we all get about a $1 Billion dollars, we can buy the team and bring them 'home' to Brooklyn.:(

That number is going to be a bit scewed because of the Yankees-Cubs. Anytime you have two storied teams playing each other, you'll get very good numbers. On the flip side if you have say the Pirates vs mariners, you are likely going to have very low numbers.

Just saying.

Concourse relax I did not know you wanted a reply. Plus the McCourt/Dodgers mess is huge news and was not trying to igorne you. Being fair when there 'intraleague' games involving two last place which this year in '11 is between D-Backs and Dodgers, tv ratings/attendence does go down. Even in interleague over the weekend the Indians sold out '2' of their 3' series vs the Pirates.

The popularity ie ticket sales bump, etc. will wear off if interleague was played all year in MLB. However people will more likely watch a playoff contender than a team that will lose 100 games in any league whether that in MLB or way out in Mars.:eek:

Ok, here goes: I hope I don't get shot for this

The number of teams that qualify for the playoffs expands from 8 to 12. 2 extra wild cards are added. It's always bothered me that a team does good but not good enough to make the playoffs. The top 2 teams in each league get first round byes. An extra round is added. It's called the Wild Card round. It will be 5 games. (The Division series is now 7 games).

Q43 only issue is that it makes the regular season 'less meaningful'. It could become like the NBA/NHL playoffs in which upsets are more likely even if the top '2' seeded clubs get 'byes.' We saw what happened with 'hot' clubs like the 2006 Tigers(losing the WS in upset to Cards)2007 Rockies(losing to the Red Sox)and the 2010 Phillies(losing in LCS to the Giants)due to long layoffs.

Thus I still think the best option IMO is.

Regular Season reduced to 154 games.

Post Season

Wild Card Round(1-game playoff w/ winner playing the #1 seed/regular season best record-)

Division Series(increased to best 4 of 7 series)

LCS

World Series

Again guys we trying to avoid ending the world series when Santa Claus is making his yearly world famous global run on X-Mas Eve.:eek:

What no reply to my comment? You are usually calling us out for replies and when we do you just change the subject. what do you want?

No one replied to my proposals ;)

I've been ignored for a whole page now...:P:(

The Yankees and Red Sox should never be split, and the Phillies need better competition. The Braves, Mets, Rays, etc. would improve drastically by such a move, and would likely become major forces in the NLE. I agree with your sentiments about Baltimore-DC.

New Idea:

NLE: Atlanta, NYM, Tampa, Toronto, Baltimore, Buffalo

NLC: CHC, St. Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti

NLW: SF, LA, Las Vegas (A's), SD, Houston

ALE: NYY, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Miami

ALC: CHW, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, KC

ALW: Texas, Anaheim, Colorado, Arizona, Seattle, San Antonio

Changes: I switched Baltimore and Miami, and Cincinatti and Milwaukee. Finalised new A's location (Las Vegas). Added two new teams to raise the number of teams to 32.

Playoff Structure: Leader of each division, plus 2 wild cards, would play one-game cofrences in a March Madness-style format. Basically, that means that the winner moves on and the loser would be eliminated. The world series would continue to be a 7-game affair, and would go unchanged.

Anything else I should change?

First if MLB expands again, don't laugh but places outside the US i.e Tokyo and several cities in Mexico maybe get the new clubs. If anything San Antonio might be a location the A's moves to if they can't get a 'home' in Northern Calif. Yes Vegas is more than big enough to get a pro club but since they are the only major city in America that legalizes gambling all '4' of the major leagues are scared to grant them a club.

Not to metion Vegas is only a 3-4 hour drive from the LA area and also a few hours from Phoenix. Thus the Dodgers, Angels and Diamondbacks would not be thrilled about a team in their area. In end I can picture Vegas *maybe* getting a NHL or NBA team down the road but never a MLB or NFL club down to the huge can of worms the gambling issue could create and destroy a local team.

As far as a 1-game playoff, unless it for wild card teams, the players union will never approve stating that #1 seeds or division winners should get a chance to play in a 5-game or 7-game series to prevent upsets.

And SI not saying your new division set up are a bad idea. However this is way too many 'changes' unless you 'blow up' American and National Leagues and go to a NBA/NHL style format of Eastern and Western Leagues.

Just my honest takes.

First if MLB expands again, don't laugh but places outside the US i.e Tokyo and several cities in Mexico maybe get the new clubs. If anything San Antonio might be a location the A's moves to if they can't get a 'home' in Northern Calif. Yes Vegas is more than big enough to get a pro club but since they are the only major city in America that legalizes gambling all '4' of the major leagues are scared to grant them a club.

As far as a 1-game playoff, unless it for wild card teams, the players union will never approve stating that #1 seeds or division winners should get a chance to play in a 5-game or 7-game series to prevent upsets.

And SI not saying your new division set up are a bad idea. However this is way too many 'changes' unless you 'blow up' American and National Leagues and go to a NBA/NHL style format of Eastern and Western Leagues.

Just my honest takes.

Ok, I hear you about Vegas and teams outside the continental US. Tokyo is too far for MLB, but it could hold a minor league team, or the Nippon Professional Baseball League could be affiliated with the MLB. Mexico City, Vancouver, and San Juan could be MLB teams, though...

I don't want to get rid of the NL and AL, because they have been around for centuries. Plus, Eastern-Western leagueswould mean that the Yankees and Mets would be in the same league. That would never do.

New idea:

NLE: Atlanta, NYM, Tampa, Toronto, Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh,

NLW:SF, LA, SD, Vancouver, Houston, St. Louis, Minnesota, CHC

ALE:NYY, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Miami, Detroit, Cleveland, Detroit

ALW: CHW, Texas, Anaheim, Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Seattle, Milwaukee.

Changes: Central Divisions eradicated, teams moved. A's move to Vancouver. San Antonio Missions move to Mexico City.

Playoff format: Series expanded to 3 games to lessen upsets. Number of teams in the playoffs trimmed down to 8, the division winner and a wild card from each division. Rest unchanged.

No one replied to my proposals ;)

I've been ignored for a whole page now...:):(

It's because Shortline called me out by name to comment and I did. That's what I meant. Overall I don't have much to comment about since you both know where I stand on a 15 vs 15 league setup and which teams I'd move. Not dissing both of you, but I just wanted to make my point and move on.

It's because Shortline called me out by name to comment and I did. That's what I meant. Overall I don't have much to comment about since you both know where I stand on a 15 vs 15 league setup and which teams I'd move. Not dissing both of you, but I just wanted to make my point and move on.

I didn't say you specifically had to respond. I can't speak for Q43, but I was being rhetorical. I just wanted someone to respond.

I also no longer have a 15 vs 15 league setup, by the way. I have a 16 vs 16. Two expansion teams in Mexico City and Buffallo

Ok, but since we are the most recent posters on this page, I thought it was directed at me and I'm just clearing that up.

As for the 16x16 deal, I'm against it because if anything baseball needs to contract by 2 to be 14x14. The 15x15 is a fair compromise since contraction would be difficult and it would be an attempt to even out the schedules than each year [ex: NL east vs AL Central, etc.] Not all teams are the same [the elite teams like the Phillies would be bad news for the twins compared to say the 'bottom deweler' dodgers to the red sox.]

I disagree with contraction. Fans in small market cities are just as passionate as fans in New York, Boston, and Philly. The only team that should possibly be contracted is the Marlins. I ALWAYS see their stadium empty. Even so, I'd try to move them before contraction.

I disagree with contraction. Fans in small market cities are just as passionate as fans in New York, Boston, and Philly. The only team that should possibly be contracted is the Marlins. I ALWAYS see their stadium empty. Even so, I'd try to move them before contraction.

FG the Marlins are moving to a new stadium next year. So that out.

The A's and Marlins [till that staduim is built] are the last 2 teams still playing in a football stadium. And both are essentially AAA teams because they don't have the money to retain their higher paid stars. San Fran has the Giants and Florida is a terrible state for MLB teams. It's a football state.

If I had things my way, I'd contract the Rays and Nats [never won anything and not worth keeping]. The Marlins needs an owner willing to spend money on the team and A's I would move to DC in place of the Nats. Then it would be problem solved.

The A's and Marlins [till that staduim is built] are the last 2 teams still playing in a football stadium. And both are essentially AAA teams because they don't have the money to retain their higher paid stars. San Fran has the Giants and Florida is a terrible state for MLB teams. It's a football state.

If I had things my way, I'd contract the Rays and Nats [never won anything and not worth keeping]. The Marlins needs an owner willing to spend money on the team and A's I would move to DC in place of the Nats. Then it would be problem solved.

Bro(Concourse) I agree 100% that MLB should 'contract' and *never* should have expanded in '98 with the Rays and D-Backs. You could moved as you suggested before (GC)teams like the Expos to Tampa and the A's to DC for instance. The Bay area does not need '2' teams. Now the A's are having a diffcult time in this economy getting a new ballpark they really need.

South Fla/Miami is a terrible sports town(the Heat was drawing flies before Lefraud arrived and even the Dolphins have a hard time selling seats when they are not a playoff team)and I would have moved the Fish too.

However MLB must keep a team in Miami for at least the next 25 years as part of the agreement for the new stadium for the Marlins.

So in sense the price MLB paid for all the new ballparks in last 15-20 years is that a team must stay in that city even if they are struggling as part of an agreement. Plus not that many places left in US or even Canada that wants a MLB team now anyhow.

Actually: I would've had the A's move to Arizona and the Expos to DC.

Since Tampa's stadium was supposedly for the White Sox, that's where the Marlins should've went so they'd have their own stadium to use. And since they are still called Florida Marlins, they can keep the logos the same.

To elaborate on my previous post: the A's and Marlins would switch leagues to appease Baltimore and keep the Baltimore-DC area with teams in each league rather than both in the same one. That or I'd move Baltimore to the NL and keep the A's in the AL.

Actually: I would've had the A's move to Arizona and the Expos to DC.

Since Tampa's stadium was supposedly for the White Sox, that's where the Marlins should've went so they'd have their own stadium to use. And since they are still called Florida Marlins, they can keep the logos the same.

To elaborate on my previous post: the A's and Marlins would switch leagues to appease Baltimore and keep the Baltimore-DC area with teams in each league rather than both in the same one. That or I'd move Baltimore to the NL and keep the A's in the AL.

That another thing. Chicago does not need '2' teams. Even when the White Sox won the WS several years back, they did not sell all of their home playoff games. Chicago has and will always love the Cubbies despite their 100-year plus 'drought' LMAO.:cool:

MLB should have had the White Sox move(I know traditionalists will kill me for saying it)but that the truth.

Well, I kinda like the White Sox there even though they are VERY UNDERAPPRECIATED compared to the Cubs. They are well down the totem pole on teams that need to go/move. So for now I wouldn't worry about them at all. Plus where would you put them? All the major cities are accounted for and I think the MLB as a whole can survive with 28 teams.

Well, I kinda like the White Sox there even though they are VERY UNDERAPPRECIATED compared to the Cubs. They are well down the totem pole on teams that need to go/move. So for now I wouldn't worry about them at all. Plus where would you put them? All the major cities are accounted for and I think the MLB as a whole can survive with 28 teams.

It does not matter what i think. The White Sox when then new Comiskey aka US Cellurar Park opened in '93 they actually had a hand shake agreement with Tampa and only stayed in Chicago when the Sox Owner could not agree on some final details such as controlling the stadium(now the Rays Trop Field)

Like almost all of the club with new parks bulit in last 15-20 years, the White Sox had to stay in Chicago for at least 30-40 years (started in '93.)

So I know the Chisox are staying put for a while. Plus Obama will go nuts if his favorite MLB team left the South Side.:cool:

Archived