The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, whatever, enjoy the 1 out of 6 games. Yankees won the important one: 2000 WS at Shea Stadium!

index.1.jpg

Hey that whole October maybe the most fun NYC was in my lifetime. People smiling and stangers being kind talking baseball. It did bring the whole city together that time.:cool:

My has time changed. Mets beat Yanks 2-1 and yet no one here on NYCTF is talking. Unless the Yanks and Mets are realigned to same division, they should only meet for 1-series(3 games)a year.

The subway series has lost some of it's luster.

I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, but some of my interest is up in Boston right now... Sawx-Cubbies...

Hell, ESPN bailed on the Subway Series this year to go cover that... understandable I guess, but then they're not doing the series at Citi Field either...

I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, but some of my interest is up in Boston right now... Sawx-Cubbies...

Hell, ESPN bailed on the Subway Series this year to go cover that... understandable I guess, but then they're not doing the series at Citi Field either...

I actually agree with the exces at ESPN to show the Red Sox/Cubs from Fenway. Don't worry if you about more than 75 miles from NYC the subway series will still be shown nationally on TBS on their Sunday Afternoon game. And tonight's Fox game as well(not the featured game).

The Mets are not the same world series contenders as they were in 1999-'01 or '06. And this Yankees team is a shell of the '09 Championship team though still a playoff contender.

Also watched part of the Cubs/Red Sox game on WGN-TV.

Back to my point on interleague. The fairest way for interleague to continue is to go back to format where similar to the NFL, every 3 years each team plays all the teams from another division that season. Example the AL East vs. the NL Central, the AL West vs NL East, and '3' extra games vs natural rivarlies, etc. And finally one set of rules, either a DH or not for all of MLB.

I actually agree with the exces at ESPN to show the Red Sox/Cubs from Fenway. Don't worry if you about more than 75 miles from NYC the subway series will still be shown nationally on TBS on their Sunday Afternoon game. And tonight's Fox game as well(not the featured game).

No no, I agree with ESPN for this weekend, but not for the series at Citi Field... they should at least do that.

I have YES so tv tomorrow is not a problem.

No no, I agree with ESPN for this weekend, but not for the series at Citi Field... they should at least do that.

I have YES so tv tomorrow is not a problem.

What are the other games when the Mets and Yanks play at citifield in late June/Early July? I never mentioned about what ESPN should show then :cool:as I don't have the schedule in front of me. Talking from a national MLB view's.

Maybe you know/could tell me 7linefan?

What are the other games when the Mets and Yanks play at citifield in late June/Early July? I never mentioned about what ESPN should show then :cool:as I don't have the schedule in front of me. Talking from a national MLB view's.

Maybe you know/could tell me 7linefan?

July 1-3. They haven't decided what to do for that weekend yet, so we can keep our hopes up.

Tex saved the game, did you see that diving catch from Arod's throw?

I watched up until the 12th inning. Why take out Colon after just 87

pitches? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yankees having trouble beating the Orioles who they have always dominated.

That's what I say.

See, the Yankee organization has this thing about having their pitchers pitch complete games.... that's been a problem ever since Wetteland was their closer...

The 2011 "subway series' gets underway tonight as the Yanks host the Mets.

Has the exictement of the subway series died down from when it started 14 years ago?

I don't know how many times I said this... The "subway series" is dead... has been so for about 5 years already.... I don't think Met fans care about it much anymore either; that's how bad it's gotten...

the luster, has rusted !

RA Dickey had a 5 ERA entering tonight and he shut down the Yankees. Bullsh*t.

lol @ how you said it...

Yankees this year, are similar to that '08 team that really lived & died by the HR ball... sure they are a HR hitting team, but when you have to rely on the HR to score 65% (or w/e it is now) of your total runs, there's a problem...

you can't do that against a knuckleballer, unless his pitches aren't "knuckling" (are staying flat)....

That's what I say.

See, the Yankee organization has this thing about having their pitchers pitch complete games.... that's been a problem ever since Wetteland was their closer...

I don't know how many times I said this... The "subway series" is dead... has been so for about 5 years already.... I don't think Met fans care about it much anymore either; that's how bad it's gotten...

the luster, has rusted !

lol @ how you said it...

Yankees this year, are similar to that '08 team that really lived & died by the HR ball... sure they are a HR hitting team, but when you have to rely on the HR to score 65% (or w/e it is now) of your total runs, there's a problem...

you can't do that against a knuckleballer, unless his pitches aren't "knuckling" (are staying flat)....

Speaking of the long ball, game#2 (Sat. night's game) has gotten underway. Russell Martin just hit a 2-run blast to tie the Mets in 2nd inning.

As far as the subway series being 'dead' that not true. The Yanks/Mets games always sell out when pre-season tickets are available around March.

Thus it's 3 games apiece for each park yearly that not even the Red Sox or Phils can provide. Plus TV ratings getting an extra few thousands viewers to a regular season that double than say a game vs. the Royals in June.

I just say the subway series has lost it's luster.

Speaking of the long ball, game#2 (Sat. night's game) has gotten underway. Russell Martin just hit a 2-run blast to tie the Mets in 2nd inning.

As far as the subway series being 'dead' that not true. The Yanks/Mets games always sell out when pre-season tickets are available around March. Thus it's 3 games apiece for each park yearly that not even the Red Sox or Phils can provide. Plus TV ratings getting an extra few thousands viewers to a regular season that double than say a game vs. the Royals in June.

I just say the subway series has lost it's luster.

Tex just hit a 2 run HR.... 4-2 right now...

100% of their runs so far via the HR ball.....

Anyway, I'm not talkin about people simply going to the games, or watchin them.... You're always gonna get that; it's sports....

I'm referring to the intangible of what hearing the term "subway series", used to mean....

In 2011, the Yankees have their problems, the Mets have their problems (I'm referring to the off-field stuff)... both of which, are far more prominent.....

the vast # of Yankee or Met fans don't get nearly as riled up over it anymore...

The inter-city rivalry will always be there... I'm sayin, it isn't as strong/hate-filled/blatant as it once was....

Tex just hit a 2 run HR.... 4-2 right now...

100% of their runs so far via the HR ball.....

Anyway, I'm not talkin about people simply going to the games, or watchin them.... You're always gonna get that; it's sports....

I'm referring to the intangible of what hearing the term "subway series", used to mean....

In 2011, the Yankees have their problems, the Mets have their problems (I'm referring to the off-field stuff)... both of which, are far more prominent.....

the vast # of Yankee or Met fans don't get nearly as riled up over it anymore...

The inter-city rivalry will always be there... I'm sayin, it isn't as strong/hate-filled/blatant as it once was....

Remember too in the early days of the Mets-Yanks 'subway series' '97-'01, both teams were title contenders. Not to mention the Yankees was also in middle of their mini-dystany of winning 4 world series wins in 5 years including their famous 2000 WS meeting. So of course it's wont be the same.:eek:

Remember too in the early days of the Mets-Yanks 'subway series' '97-'01, both teams were title contenders. Not to mention the Yankees was also in middle of their mini-dystany of winning 4 world series wins in 5 years including their famous 2000 WS meeting. So of course it's wont be the same.:eek:

Exactly.

neither team has anything to prove over the other anymore....

I'm sure a Mets fan will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they care right now about taking back the town, so to speak (which is part of what the luster of the subway series was all about).... They have every right to laugh & point fingers at Yankee fans every year the Yanks don't win it all.... Although they can't do too much gloating themselves either....

The pressure is on the yanks to contend every year.... I don't mean, simply having aspirations of getting to the playoffs & let things play out from there.... I never forget during one game some time ago (back when bernie, o'neill, tino martinez were playing), when they were showin the players walking down the corridor to get to the locker rooms or w/e.... you saw this long 30' x 4' poster (or w/e it was) in like 400 point font that just read....

WIN.

If that isn't telling, I don't know what is....

....thanks to 4 HR's of which 6 of their 7 runs came from....

To me that kind of dangerous to be such a 1-sided team. i.e the 3-run bomb.

With the 'steriods' aka power era ended around 2007-'08, it back to an era similar to the early '80's with speed, defense and great pitching.

Yanks really could use a good leadoff guy as Grandeson is becoming a really good #5 type hitter. Another starter is what they in dire need of.

The Mets are not the same world series contenders as they were in 1999-'01 or '06. And this Yankees team is a shell of the '09 Championship team though still a playoff contender.

Also watched part of the Cubs/Red Sox game on WGN-TV.

Back to my point on interleague. The fairest way for interleague to continue is to go back to format where similar to the NFL, every 3 years each team plays all the teams from another division that season. Example the AL East vs. the NL Central, the AL West vs NL East, and '3' extra games vs natural rivarlies, etc. And finally one set of rules, either a DH or not for all of MLB.

Only problem with that is the NL has more teams than the AL. There are still some interleague matchups that have not happened at a venue. Most of you probably know the Dodgers have not been to the Bronx, the White Sox have never been to Queens (excluding 1974 and 1975), and the Reds won't visit Baltimore until this year.

I find the inter league games between the Yankees and Mets boring

to be honest with you. It's not like what it used to be. I wish they would

do away with all of the inter league games(18 games). At the very least

shorten it to just a week(2 series of 3 games each.)

The main reason why they ever started with this was to boost attendance after the baseball strike in 1995.

Archived