The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Well today the Yankees have activated Bartolo Colon and is currently pitching today. Also Derek Jeter is at Trenton rehabbing that calf injury he had. He is also going to play tomorrow so for those in NY who want to see DJ, take the NJ Transit to Trenton and take a cab to Waterfront Park.

blah @ that disingenuous little temper tantrum of his....

Dude wadn't as mad as he tried to make like he was.... I saw that same snippet over on MLB Network, and the first thing that came to mind is, ACTING..... He's doin nothin more than showin out... still rockin that rat trap he calls a beard = attention whore.....

It's no different than Lou Pinella's antics AFTER he used to get tossed out of games.....

Furthermore, the man is a good enough closer, not a great one.... allows too many baserunners for my liking; he's a rich man's Chris Perez (who?) with a hell of a lot more notoriety to him.... good for gettin himself out of jams that he himself creates !

And I Think Chris Perez is a little bit overrated but nobody beats former Yankee John Axford.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very good start by Colon [comeback player of the year award anyone?] And the Yankees take the 2nd of the season series. Heh, not so cocky anymore eh mets fans? that's why they are series, not singular games.

Also I was pissed that in the 9th Girardi had the nerve to try to bring Mo in when Mitre was very shaky. I am glad he let Mitre pitch out of his own mess [obviously helps they had a 5-run lead]. Though honestly, I don't know if this is the type of games he should've been in even with such a lead. If the Mets had rallied, not even Mo could've shut down that 'momentum'.

Nunez sucks defensively, but damn, he can sure hit. The kid has earned his place on the team.

When Jeter comes back [after he gets #3000], they should put him no higher than 6 or 7th. Swisher and gardner are both thriving now with Jeter out of the starting lineup. That's not something that should be tampered with. Jeter should be happy he's still in the lineup period. Let him 'pout' if he doesn't like it.

Jeter's a good player, but he's getting old. His fielding has deteriorated in recenet years, and I wouldn't be suprised if he is let go in the near future for a young up-and-coming shortstop.

Jeter's a good player, but he's getting old. His fielding has deteriorated in recenet years, and I wouldn't be suprised if he is let go in the near future for a young up-and-coming shortstop.

His fielding is still better than Nunez's. His range may not be what it used to be, but 99/100 baseballs he fields will find themselves in Teixiera's glove.

He is in the first year of a three-year contract. I don't see him leaving.

His fielding is still better than Nunez's. His range may not be what it used to be, but 99/100 baseballs he fields will find themselves in Teixiera's glove.

He is in the first year of a three-year contract. I don't see him leaving.

Do you think he will leave the Yanks or retire after the contract is over, and if the former, where?

I think if this year ends up as slightly better than last year's, there won't be any questions about next year [but it depends on if he's willing to be below the top 5 in the lineup]. It's the 3rd year where he'd have to be either an OF or a DH and would he accept those roles willingly.

If Jeter is let go, it'll be on waivers and anyone desperate enough to want an aging player can claim him. I think if he respects the Yankees enough, he won't go to Boston.

Do you think he will leave the Yanks or retire after the contract is over, and if the former, where?

I certainly don't want him to leave. I could see him becoming a full-time DH like Posada is right now.

It definitely depends on whether he wants to play or not. Look at Pettite. He probably had a few good seasons left. Mussina decided to retire after finally winning 20 games in one season -- he might have had some left in the tank.

I totally agree on Mussina retiring one year too early. then again with the Yankees signing both Burnett and Sabathia, I think it would've been down to keeping either Mussina or Pettitte [as absurd as it sound concidering they have an unlimited payroll].

Picking from either Pettitte or Mussina, I'm glad it was Pettitte since I doubt Mussina [being a 'picky pitcher/habbit'] would not have pitched on short rest in the playoffs like Pettitte did. But it would've been nice if Mussina got some sort of reward for all his years in pinstripes [i can never forget how he was 1 strike away from a Perfect game in Boston, Damn you Carl Everett!]

It definitely depends on whether he wants to play or not. Look at Pettite. He probably had a few good seasons left.

No, Pettite was released after it was revealed he used steroids. He was just forced out, and good job Yankees for doing that. Guys like Pettite make me sick; they are ruining the fairness of the game. He, like Clemens, Bonds, and Giambi, deserved to be let go.

No, Pettite was released after it was revealed he used steroids. He was just forced out, and good job Yankees for doing that. Guys like Pettite make me sick; they are ruining the fairness of the game. He, like Clemens, Bonds, and Giambi, deserved to be let go.

Those last three were let go because their production was falling, not simply because they used steroids, or they would have been forced out a lot earlier. The Yankees wanted Pettite back, but he decided to retire. No team would ever get rid of anyone who has used steroids in the past if their production right now when they're clean and they've been clean for years is just as good if not better than before.

Or are you just angry that we've beaten you four out of five times so far?

Nunez>Jeter

Too bad Jeter has two more years on the contract he didn't deserve

He used HGH, not steroids like Clemens or Giambi. Plus by your logic, the Yankees would be trying to force ARod out after his 'confession'.

Yeah, I see you focused on the Yankees players, what about Boston and Manny or Ortiz?

I think if this year ends up as slightly better than last year's, there won't be any questions about next year [but it depends on if he's willing to be below the top 5 in the lineup]. It's the 3rd year where he'd have to be either an OF or a DH and would he accept those roles willingly.

If Jeter is let go, it'll be on waivers and anyone desperate enough to want an aging player can claim him. I think if he respects the Yankees enough, he won't go to Boston.

Jeter will die wearin Yankee pinstripes.....

Now wait a minute here, that's just not true.....

Pettitte was to become a free agent... Instead of testing the market, he chose to retire - he wasn't forced out.... The Yankees were willing to re-sign him dude; they waited on Pettitte to come to a decision in the offseason....

Do you really think they wanted Colon (who's about a year or so younger than Andy) AND Garcia over havin Andy back in the rotation?

The all star team has been selected, and despite his mediocre numbers, Derek Jeter is once again an all star, even though Asdrubal Cabrera is having a much better season.

Cabrera is grossly overrated by SC.... he'll easily get in as a reserve (with Jeter's injury, he'll end up starting anyway); I wouldn't worry about that.....

However, I do agree that Jeter aint deserve to get in this year....

Nunez>Jeter

Too bad Jeter has two more years on the contract he didn't deserve

We need a SS that can play sound defense.... Period.

When you have Nunez (and this f'n guy Pena today) makin errors all over the goddamn place, where do you draw the line....

I'm happy the Yankees are successful this season. This morning, we had a 50-31 record (good for second best record behind the Phillies, who're 53-32) and a two game lead over the Red Sox.

At thirty-seven, The Captain is off to a slow start (.260 after 262 at bats) but has come within six hits of becoming the very first-ever Yankee to have 3,000 hits (and all 3,000 will be as a Yankee for a nice touch).

I do miss Andy, but C.C. is off to another good start (11 wins 4 losses and a 3.05).

The Pirates are continuing to enjoy success, which is good for their fans. Though 43-41, the Pirates are in third place and only one and a half games behind the Brewers after 84 games. The Pirates also are only five and a half games behind the Braves in the N.L. Wild Card.

The all star team has been selected, and despite his mediocre numbers, Derek Jeter is once again an all star, even though Asdrubal Cabrera is having a much better season.

Jhonny Peralta is also deserving.

In other news: WHAT? NO DAVID ROBERTSON IN THE ALL STAR GAME??? Screw you Aaron Crow...

Reading ESPN on my phone, David Schoenfield feels the following 5 players were screwed out of all-star appearances:

Andrew McCutchen-He really deserves it over Carlos Beltran

CC Sabathia-Can't be in the ASG because he's starting next Sunday

Tommy Hanson

Jhonny Peralta

Shane Victorino

Reading ESPN on my phone, David Schoenfield feels the following 5 players were screwed out of all-star appearances:

Tommy Hanson

Jhonny Peralta

Shane Victorino

I get with CC Sabathia but, he should at least be honored just like last year if he was not going to pitch.

Pena is pathetic [and shows how Jeter defensively is missed], but doesn't cover the fact that Mo blew another save today. Damn, Jason Bay? of all ppl to drive home the winning run? BS.

Is Texiera nominated as a reserve player? I probably get they have 'enough' 1b, but how can Mark Texiera be snubbed from the ASG? He's at least 2nd in terms of homers and still makes stellar plays at 1st.

I also agree Robertson not listed as stupid, but even though it is an exhibition game, i don't want any relievers [from my team] playing on the slight risk they could get injured. Let some other team's pitcher go.

Pena is pathetic [and shows how Jeter defensively is missed], but doesn't cover the fact that Mo blew another save today. Damn, Jason Bay? of all ppl to drive home the winning run? BS.

I probably get they have 'enough' 1b, but how can Mark Texiera be snubbed from the ASG? He's at least 2nd in terms of homers and still makes stellar plays at 1st.

I also agree Robertson not listed as stupid, but even though it is an exhibition game, i don't want any relievers [from my team] playing on the slight risk they could get injured. Let some other team's pitcher go.

Mark Teixeira>Miguel Cabrera - This includes defense as well.

I wonder if Matt Wieters is just as good defensively than Russell Martin.

Tommy Hanson

Jhonny Peralta

Shane Victorino

Of this 'list' of snubs McCutchen is the biggest one IMO this year. He one of the main reason the Pirates are having their best season (so far)in almost 15 years.

Pitcher A:

36 Games

33.2 Innings

21 Strikeouts

1.34 BB/9

.237 BAA

3.48 ERA

8.3 Hits/9

5.61 K/9

0.27 HR/9

Pitcher B:

33 Games

30.1 Innings

20 Strikeouts

4.45 BB/9

.206 BAA

2.37 ERA

6.5 Hits/9

5.93 K/9

0.30 HR/9

Pitcher C:

36 Games

33.1 Innings

53 Strikeouts

5.40 BB/9

.183 BAA

1.08 ERA

6.2 Hits/9

14.31 K/9

0.00 HR/9

Stats in bold are peripherals that are better or lead any of the 3 pitchers being compared above. Pitcher A and Pitcher B are going to the all star game which Pitcher C is not. Tell me which pitcher is more deserving to go to the All Star Game in Arizona.

Archived