Bus Stop Shelters

Via Garibaldi 8

Two questions...

1. When will all of the old black ones be replaced?

I'm surprised to so many of those still around. I like the new ones a lot better. :cool:

2. There's a bus shelter at the last stop of the (M23) down by the FDR that unlike all of the other shelters I've seen, this one does not face the street. I thought this was an error seeing how the first black one was installed, but then they put in the newer shelter and put it in the same way. Anyone know why?? :confused:

That depending on the contract that the city has w/the shelter provider that all of them will be replaced as soon as they can replace them, just not sure when since the black ones are a real eyesore. I believe the bus shelter provider is a Spanish company from Spain (Cemusa). I'm familiar w/them from having been in the construction industry for a few years.

They are also the ones replacing the old newstands and such. :cool:

My guess is they replace the black shelter only when its needed to be replaced (broken glass, damaged structure, etc...)

There's this one black shelter at Utica s/b an Flatbush Av. Hardly anyone uses it. I'm surprised it was even put up there in the first place. That's one shelter I don't expect to be replaced by the newer one. And with the service cuts there are now former bus shelters that are 'sitting' there for nothing.

There's this one black shelter at Utica s/b an Flatbush Av. Hardly anyone uses it. I'm surprised it was even put up there in the first place. That's one shelter I don't expect to be replaced by the newer one. And with the service cuts there are now former bus shelters that are 'sitting' there for nothing.

There's a few on Park Ave South. I was thinking they would use those for the re-routed express buses, but they've only done that with one stop there at 27th and Park Ave South. :P

I still think it was dumb to re-route the (M1). I used to take that bus from my office to Whole Foods. Now I have to walk from 5th or hop on the (M14) if I don't feel like walking.

lmao.....

no one uses that one b/c buses (especially as of late) are always parked there !

I'd be willing to bet that most passengers don't even know that's a stop... If you ask me, I think that stop is useless....

people simply use the fillmore av stop (adjacent the depot) if they need to catch the B41 NB, the 100, or w/e..... I use that stop to hit up that burger king sometimes...

Yeah it is useless. If I needed a ride [which I don't since I can walk there] from Av S to KP, I would rather cross the street to the Flatbush Av stop where I can have my choices of the B9, B41, Q35.

I pass it almost daily on my walks and it's never used and as you said, it's mainly for buses parked there. With that gas station long gone, the whole section is boarded off, it's an eyesore.

I just wonder if it was ever well used to have warranted the old shelter there to be built.

Two questions...

I'm surprised to so many of those still around. I like the new ones a lot better. :cool:

2. There's a bus shelter at the last stop of the (M23) down by the FDR that unlike all of the other shelters I've seen, this one does not face the street. I thought this was an error seeing how the first black one was installed, but then they put in the newer shelter and put it in the same way. Anyone know why?? :confused:

Only NYCDOT knows the answers to these questions. NYCDOT needs to build ALOT more sheltered bus stops.

Two questions...

The black ones are being replaced on a need to replace basis at this point. The city isn't in a rush to get rid of it.

As for the reverse facing shelter, my guess is that the DOT did a mistake and was too lazy to correct it. I see it all the time and its something to laugh at. Especially since no one uses it (except for the homeless).

Maybe the spacing between the waterfront and the street at that location?

The river isn't that close.

Archived