Now we're (bed)bugged in subway

Now we're (bed)bugged in subway

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the subways, a city bureaucrat says there are bedbugs underground.

A city Housing Preservation and Development Department staffer startled some Brooklynites during a Tuesday night presentation on the pesky critters when he said they've been spotted underground.

Edward Brownbear, an education instructor with the department, said he once saw bedbugs on a woman at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station - and on the bench where she had been sitting moments earlier - according to Heather Letzkus, 37, who wrote about it on her Greenpoint blog.

"When he mentioned that I was horrified," Letzkus, who attended the meeting at the Greenpoint Reformed Church, told the Daily News.

"It's a very scary thing. Just the thought that I could pick them up by sitting on a subway bench freaks me out, and it freaked out the other people in attendance."

Brownbear cited three stations where he believed bedbugs had, at least temporarily, bedded down: Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Union Square in Manhattan and Fordham Road in the Bronx.

A housing preservation and development spokesman cautioned that Brownbear, while more knowledgeable about bedbugs than the average person, is not a trained scientist or inspector.

NYC Transit spokesman Charles Seaton said the agency would check out the three hubs.

Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign quipped: "Bedbugs on subway benches! Yet another reason not to fall asleep waiting for a train."

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 8, 2008

Bed bugs can travel in alot of ways,they can go from your bed to

book bag,luggage or hide in the sides of your t-shirt or clothing,so make sure to check your luggage or book bag, clothing before you head out the door otherwise the bloodsucking ciders will have a free ride on subway.

This isn't news to me. I always knew this was possible...

Exactly. Isn't news to me either. Two things that brought out this articles, slow news day to just fill up the paper, or people are complaining more about it.

You decide to use public transit, you decided to wallow in your fellow riders filth. There are worse things on the benches than bed bugs anyways. If they took one of those lights to the benches, or did a chemical test, you would get microscopic e.coli (from feces), dried urine, etc.....

Okay, I personally would never sit on a bench anyway, but that just reinforced to the fullest.

I do, cause when I use the train I go pretty far. Just do not wear shorts when riding the train. I never wore shorts while driving a bus or motorcoach. Seats aren't cleaned the way they suppose to, and too many other nasties sat in that seat. Don't want a rash on the back of my leg.

I do, cause when I use the train I go pretty far. Just do not wear shorts when riding the train. I never wore shorts while driving a bus or motorcoach. Seats aren't cleaned the way they suppose to, and too many other nasties sat in that seat. Don't want a rash on the back of my leg.

Ya, & sweat to death. I don't sit down i stand up.

- Andy

No I may sit on a seat i the actual train because sometimes I have some long rids too, but I never sit on any of the benches in the stations.

Archived