BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Thats what i meant, accelerate slower than the Allisons...

but now quick question...idk how the hybrid system works. all i know is that the hybrids out here in staten island can go, and I THINK, they can get to about 40mph faster than the LFS/3G/XD40. 

Maybe 40 MPH as in top speed, but faster? I highly doubt that..

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and you know whats the funny thing? The Orion Vs can keep up with traffic.

Thing is, the hybrids have about 3,000 extra pounds on them, and due to the power generation not being that great still, the actual electric motor isn't so strong. If they made them plug-in hybrids (which they bloody should have considering the possibility of a one-time investment saving the MTA millions later on) which could charge at their downtime in the shops off solar cells and hydrogen fuel cells (sewer system hydrogen reclamation systems for this), they could afford to put in a 300+ horsepower electric motor (no transmission to step up, so you're going to want more ponies) with enough torque to spin the earth when the bus moves. They'd also need lithium-ion phosphate batteries placed within the floor Tesla Model S-style. Do all that and you got yourself a hybrid that will massacre a traditional bus on mileage and performance (and cost). In fact, what have these bus manufacturers been doing with their time? They're seriously still putting batteries on the bloody roof.

Edited by Culver

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cait Sith" data-cid="641241" data-time="1359924984"><p>

The Q25 runs frequent enough though. The Q8 and Q41 need them more!!</p></blockquote>

The Q38 needs it badly. Only the boxes are put at the stops.

The Q38 runs better than the two lines mentioned, even at night.

Edited by Cait Sith

The Q25 runs frequent enough though. The Q8 and Q41 need them more!!

The Q8, Q41, Q112 and Q25 all need them at nights after around 7PM they all run 20-30 minutes. The Q64 I was suprised becuase it runs fast and I din't expect them to put the maps and schedules in the boxes before the Q25.

I also think CP could get both Q20 lines. Not sure about the Q44 now that it has artics. If it was before the artics, it would've been ideal with a cng depot on both ends with WF and CP. If those Vikings are still around, I'd favor CS getting some express lines and run the vikings. 

Q35 is better being every 15min. I do like the idea of it being split with FB. I think there could be a direct B116th to KH and 16th st line. So I think they should switch the B2 and B100 lines east of FB av and keep the B2 all at FB, while the B100 is extended past KP all the way to B116th (maybe make it limited stop only in Queens, the stop under the bridge some stop in the middle and finally B116th). This way you can split the B100 as well or have the B100/Q35 swap buses if needed.

Q53, they should've just added the 2 subway transfer stops and leave the rest alone. It's gotten too slow with all the extra stops.

:bump:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Culver" data-cid="641340" data-time="1359935646"><p>

I dunno if Kings Highway station can handle any more people.</p></blockquote>

Kings Hwy is barely filled to the max with people, might as well service some areas.

You sure about that? The place is a madhouse in rush hours and Kings Highway the road is already packed as hell.

Yea Kings Hwy is at capacity, the line stretches around the corner at times for the B100 in rush hour, buses on the 100 leave packed to the doors every time (I've had pleanty of experience), and even outside of rush hour you can have 35+ people waiting there for the 100, you do have a decent amount of people waiting for the 2.31 but not as many and there are always a ton of people waiting for the B7 and B82 around the corner under the tracks, so I am agreeing with everyone about that Kings Hwy is packed to capacity, I just thought I would share it from my POV.

Yea Kings Hwy is at capacity, the line stretches around the corner at times for the B100 in rush hour, buses on the 100 leave packed to the doors every time (I've had pleanty of experience), and even outside of rush hour you can have 35+ people waiting there for the 100, you do have a decent amount of people waiting for the 2.31 but not as many and there are always a ton of people waiting for the B7 and B82 around the corner under the tracks, so I am agreeing with everyone about that Kings Hwy is packed to capacity, I just thought I would share it from my POV.

I would've actually liked a 65 St/Ave P route and some Flatbush/Rockaways route to be added to Kings Highway, but yeah, where to put em, and the platforms at the station can get damn crowded as is.