LFS invasion

LRG

What is your take about the back door??? I see that they have the yellow tape on them and so people automatically don't just touch them, they push on the door outward. Meanwhile the door opens inward. I noticed that on one of Cait's Youtube videos. Don't you think that could be a little dangerous? I saw a guy who was pushing the back door and he looked like he was close to falling off of the bus because he was taken back by the doors going inward like that. I think they should be tweaked. :eek:

What is your take about the back door??? I see that they have the yellow tape on them and so people automatically don't just touch them, they push on the door outward. Meanwhile the door opens inward. I noticed that on one of Cait's Youtube videos. Don't you think that could be a little dangerous? I saw a guy who was pushing the back door and he looked like he was close to falling off of the bus because he was taken back by the doors going inward like that. I think they should be tweaked. :eek:

I dont have a problem with the rear doors as they are quicker than the NG's and the Orion 5's opening and closing. The problem I see is that the people dont pay attention. when the doors are opened by us, the bus clearly tells them "touch yellow bars to open doors"(all you have to do is pull on the bar lighntly and the doors open) they assume that pushing on the doors is whats gonna work because thats all anybody ever had to do to open a rear door on any NYC Bus. Im only 35 and I cant remember ANY Bus Ive been on that the doors open In. Just an adjustment period, as they roll out more and more in service they will get used to them. I really dont think its a big problem yet. We'll see!! Besides we tried opening and closing the dooors on each other when we trained and it really didn't hurt when opening and you cant get closed in the doors.

Glad to help. Anytime.

Thanks for the great insider comments and pics, cartmn1210! I look forward to see how the buses compare with the best of Orion and New Flyer. Do you think you could get at least one builder serial/builder date from the Novas for the serial geeks among us? Thanks for any help. :tup:

Thanks for the great insider comments and pics, cartmn1210! I look forward to see how the buses compare with the best of Orion and New Flyer. Do you think you could get at least one builder serial/builder date from the Novas for the serial geeks among us? Thanks for any help. :tup:

Sure never thought of that but ok. I do remember that 8020 was just built in 2/11!! so iguess they are REALLY BRAND NEW and not some built and stored a while ago!!!!

Sure never thought of that but ok. I do remember that 8020 was just built in 2/11!! so iguess they are REALLY BRAND NEW and not some built and stored a while ago!!!!

Thanks! :tup: Oh yes they're brand new, IIRC Nova started working on this order in January. Hopefully they will get a big MTA Artic order to maintain the workload after this one is completed.

Thanks! :tup: Oh yes they're brand new, IIRC Nova started working on this order in January. Hopefully they will get a big MTA Artic order to maintain the workload after this one is completed.

There is a 328 NovaBus LFS Articulated order in the works!

Here's the Vin tag from 8007. I took it out on its maiden voyage this morning

IMG_20110407_094215.jpg

I drove 8005 and today I drove 8020. 2 different rides altogether. The Allison is smooth and has more get up and go. The zf is jerky and sluggish in my opinion.

How is the acceleration on the LFS compared to the NGs? Namely the Allison transmission ones. Do the LFSs take off faster?

Cartmn,

Does the longer overhangs (front and rear) make turning more difficult? It looks as if the driver sits much further away from the front of the bus, must be a totally different sight than driving a NG or and O5.

Also does is that smaller right side mirror effective? I don't get why the MTA spec'd a normal driver side mirror and a smaller right side.

Just wanted a driver's point of view. Thanks in advance!

How is the acceleration on the LFS compared to the NGs? Namely the Allison transmission ones. Do the LFSs take off faster?

The Allsions are beast!!! Smooth, Lots of power and get up and go. The NG's still seem a lil quicker off the line depending on the NG. The ZF trannys SUCK BIG BALLS lol. the are Very jerky and cause a rough ride. I hate those. so safe to say all the buses UP n QV get are gonna be a rough ride. They ALL Have the ZF trans in them.

The Allsions are beast!!! Smooth, Lots of power and get up and go. The NG's still seem a lil quicker off the line depending on the NG. The ZF trannys SUCK BIG BALLS lol. the are Very jerky and cause a rough ride. I hate those. so safe to say all the buses UP n QV get are gonna be a rough ride. They ALL Have the ZF trans in them.

I love the Allison Novas myself as well! I finally rode one yesterday and they do seem better than a ZF Nova.

Cartmn,

Does the longer overhangs (front and rear) make turning more difficult? It looks as if the driver sits much further away from the front of the bus, must be a totally different sight than driving a NG or and O5.

Also does is that smaller right side mirror effective? I don't get why the MTA spec'd a normal driver side mirror and a smaller right side.

Just wanted a driver's point of view. Thanks in advance!

I'll be honest, I didn't expect to like them at first because of the overhang and the mirriors. I really like the buses. The front overhang eventhough 22 inches longer than an Orion 5 or 7 really isn't an issue. The rear is though. U need more exit room when making tight bus stops. The smaller right side mirror lacks in the view from the NG or Orion 5 because the top portion of the mirror is a smaller glass. the convex mirror makes up for it 6 fold. we tested it in the yard and you can see 3 tracks to the right when parked so you have at least 24ft view in convex though ascewed. Im getting used to them though. Now the ride is amazing. I feel like Im riding in a car compared to the other buses in the TA fleet. you sit so low to the ground in this bus and the unobstructed view in the front is amazing!! I could go on and on and on but Ithink you get my impressions.

Thanks. In UP they have some RTS's with ZF transmissions, they are very jerky as well, but the awesome sound and the quick takeoff makes up for it I guess.

Thanks. In UP they have some RTS's with ZF transmissions, they are very jerky as well, but the awesome sound and the quick takeoff makes up for it I guess.

I like the sound but the ZF's in the NOVA are sluggish on take off then they get goin after a bus lenght or 2

Here's the Vin tag from 8007. I took it out on its maiden voyage this morning

Thanks for that cartmn1210, much appreciated! :tup:

There may be some fiddling they could try with the transmission electronics to improve the ride, but otherwise it's a shame that most of the order has been speced with ZFs.

Just got off 8022 on the S46. Solid ride, didn't seem to jerky (I was sitting in the rear). The door issue was a problem but something to get used to. I do not know why they put handles there. Otherwise, a great ride, really took the bumps well. It also seemed more spacious in the front despite less seats (opinion) and the rear, was pretty cramped...

Just got off 8022 on the S46. Solid ride, didn't seem to jerky (I was sitting in the rear). The door issue was a problem but something to get used to. I do not know why they put handles there. Otherwise, a great ride, really took the bumps well. It also seemed more spacious in the front despite less seats (opinion) and the rear, was pretty cramped...

Do explain about the doors... Others have said that they're not a problem, but they are in my opinion. As you mentioned they have handles on the doors, thus one automatically would think that you need to push outward to get off when the doors come inward.

It is a big problem because the average person is too incompetent to realize how the doors function. I'm just waiting for someone to fall off of the bus from trying to get off. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. There was an (S48) this morning at my express bus stop there on Forest, but no one got off from the back, so I couldn't see how the doors worked.

Do explain about the doors... Others have said that they're not a problem, but they are in my opinion. As you mentioned they have handles on the doors, thus one automatically would think that you need to push outward to get off when the doors come inward.

It is a big problem because the average person is too incompetent to realize how the doors function. I'm just waiting for someone to fall off of the bus from trying to get off. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. There was an (S48) this morning at my express bus stop there on Forest, but no one got off from the back, so I couldn't see how the doors worked.

I totally agree with you. For me obviously, its not a problem. When I see something new or foreign I definetely read it first. The instructions clearly say "touch the handle to open the doors", not "grab, pull, or push the handles to open the doors". But I think its natural that u see handles and it is something you push or pull. In addition, I think its a total waste of metal (or plastic) considering the the method used on the 4400 ngs is simply touch the tape. Besides, I love the buses but it seems like an over-specification if you ask me. Make it simpler for the common man,lol

I rode the Nova buses Friday evening and yesterday on the S40 (8007, 8010 Friday and 8003 - round trip Sunday) and I must say I really like these buses a lot. They are the Allison buses and the ride is really fast and really smooth. I was standing Friday evening on 8010 and I was really surprised by how much room I had standing and I'm a big guy lol. The legroom in the single seats was great too and I'm tall. My knees didn't hit the back of the seat so I was very happy about that.

Sunday I got to sit in the back and it wasn't as crammed back there as I thought it would be. Someone was standing by the stairs and someone had to get off from back there and he had room to go around the guy to get off. And most people followed the instructions with the back door and touched the handle for the door to open. The only problems I had was that the doors take a moment to open and IMHO it should open immediately. Aside from that, Nova made a great product and I'm a big fan of them. Now I want to ride a ZF Nova and feel the difference in the ride but so far so VERY good. :tup:

Archived