Breaking News: Dennis Walcott To Replace Cathie Black As NYC Schools Chancellor

Nova RTS 9147

Cathie Black is Out as Chancellor

By ELISSA GOOTMAN

Cathleen P. Black, a magazine executive with no educational experience who was named as New York City schools chancellor last fall, will step down Thursday morning, officials said, after a tumultuous and brief tenure.

Ms. Black’s departure, which comes on the heels of the departures of several high-ranking education officials, was nearly as surprising as her appointment. When Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg plucked her from Hearst Magazines to run the nation’s largest public school system, people in New York and across the country — including some of the mayor’s closest aides — were stunned.

Ms. Black will be replaced by Deputy Mayor Dennis M. Walcott, who has long aided the mayor in educational matters. A NY1-Marist poll released on Monday put Ms. Black’s approval rating at 17 percent, with 23 percent of adults not sure or never having heard of her.

A dumb question. What is Dennis Walcott background? :eek:

My take is that I don't have a problem w/ a Mayor appointing the Public Schools Chief as just like the NYPD Commish, etc. a major political job.

The problem is that the NYC Council should approve the Chancellor not a clueless Education Dept. Chief from Albany.

A dumb question. What is Dennis Walcott background? :eek:

My take is that I don't have a problem w/ a Mayor appointing the Public Schools Chief as just like the NYPD Commish, etc. a major political job.

The problem is that the NYC Council should approve the Chancellor not a clueless Education Dept. Chief from Albany.

Dennis Walcott was basically the person who was making all of the education decisions while Black was in office and basically was an educator, leader and highly qualified. In my opinion, he should of became the chancellor to begin with.

Dennis Walcott was basically the person who was making all of the education decisions while Black was in office and basically was an educator, leader and highly qualified. In my opinion, he should of became the chancellor to begin with.

Thanks for info. I only know Walcott has been one of Bloomberg's deputy mayors going back to when the billionarie came to office in Jan. 2002. Walcott is also one of the handful of non-white males with a major post in the Bloomberg Admins.

Good. I knew Cathie Black was the wrong one to be hired as Schools Chancellor from the beginning. I enjoyed watching Bloomburg get uncomfortable as the media was asking him questions about her resignation. That's what he gets for letting his pride get in the way of what's most important for an issue like this one: the kids. He should have picked Dennis Walcott from the beginning. He was a board member for the Board of Ed when I was in High School in the 90's and has a pretty impressive background in the Education field. The fact that Bloomburg would go to someone who had no kind of experience in Education to run all these schools when he had highly qualified people in his team to run something as big as this says a whole lot to me about Bloomburg. But then again, it's not all that surprising considering the last 9 years in NYC.

All of this goes to show that when you don't pick the right people with a background in the field such as Education, crap like what we've seen with Cathie Black will occur and the sad thing is, it didn't have to happen.

If that the case Princelex if you told me about Walcott's background in the now Dept. of Education, he should been picked as Chancellor. While Black should been appointed as Deputy Mayor in Business. I am not saying I am a fan of Cathie Black but in politics 'friendships' matter.

Bloomberg is beginning to become like Mayor Koch in his 3rd and final term. Both were good mayors that overstayed their welcomes in office way too long. That why term limits are needed.

Good. I knew Cathie Black was the wrong one to be hired as Schools Chancellor from the beginning. I enjoyed watching Bloomburg get uncomfortable as the media was asking him questions about her resignation. That's what he gets for letting his pride get in the way of what's most important for an issue like this one: the kids. He should have picked Dennis Walcott from the beginning. He was a board member for the Board of Ed when I was in High School in the 90's and has a pretty impressive background in the Education field. The fact that Bloomburg would go to someone who had no kind of experience in Education to run all these schools when he had highly qualified people in his team to run something as big as this says a whole lot to me about Bloomburg. But then again, it's not all that surprising considering the last 9 years in NYC.

All of this goes to show that when you don't pick the right people with a background in the field such as Education, crap like what we've seen with Cathie Black will occur and the sad thing is, it didn't have to happen.

I'm actually surprised that he took questions. I was totally expecting him and Walcott to make a speech and then they both walked off. Walcott actually handled himself with a lot of grace and poise, while Bloomberg looked like he was squirming under the weight of someones shoe. It was a beautiful press conference.

As for my parting words for Mrs. Black: Don't let the door hit ya where the dog should have bit ya!

Anyone know why she resigned so suddenly? I have some ideas, but I'm curious what her reason was. B)

The "official" reason is that her presence was too distracting to the school system, but I highly suspect that this is an attempt to repair his approval rating given those education commercials and the fact that his current choice for school chancellor is literally the polar opposite of Cathie Black.

Not that i care, but as for why she was brought in in the first place: I think it was more about managing the system 'like a business'. In a way the public school system is a huge black hole where money is dumped on it and kids are still failing. If anything an outside [not from any unions] was ideal, but Black was just not cut out for the job.

Not that i care, but as for why she was brought in in the first place: I think it was more about managing the system 'like a business'. In a way the public school system is a huge black hole where money is dumped on it and kids are still failing. If anything an outside [not from any unions] was ideal, but Black was just not cut out for the job.

I don't think that would have been an issue. The issue was the person trying to run the schools like a business had no kind of history working in Education at all to do that. Hell, she made it known that her kids went to private school. It's like picking Mike Tyson to be the Commissioner of the Sanitation Dept. What the f*ck he know about picking up trash for a living?! LOL

This is what happens when people don't vote or people vote without knowing who they are really voting for. Bloomburg has no damn business being a Mayor again and now we are paying the price for this. It's like what I said when the Blizzard of 2010 happened, anyone who voted for Bloomburg and is now pissed with him deserves what they got cause they put the son of a bitch back in office. Man I wish Bloomburg would be the next one to resign.

Cathie black should have never been schools chancellor in the first place.

"Business experience" doesn't count for shit in my book. It's basically a certificate that says someone is a douchebag. Give me someone without experience in "business" and you'll probably find someone who actually knows what the f*** they're doing.

Business people only know how to screw over workers and mismanage funds under the guise of some nebulous corporate strategy that doubles expenditures and cuts results in half.

F*** business people. They're useless.

Archived