Texas lawmakers approves new law raising state's speed limit on freeways/highways to 85 MPH

Shortline Bus

For years most states didnt even have speed limits and people got along fine. Its called being responsible for your actions. Most people are responsible and can handle themselves fine. The speed limit was never enacted for safety reasons any way. It was enacted to conserve gas because cars at that time would not over consume gas in the sweet spot of 55-60 MPH.

There wont be any increased accidents. Drive on the NYC Thrughway or LIE or whatever. Most people are already driving that fast anyway. Try going 55 or 65 and youll see how a majority of the people fly right by you.

General rule should be drivers should go as fast as traffic is going and slower drivers should stick to the right lane or the lane with exits where they would have to slow down to get off.

If drivers are going no slower than the minimum speed [in ideal conditions, or not raining/slick roads], then there shouldn't be a problem. If the cars are going slower than the minimum, they should pull over to the shoulder or get off the road if it's the car that's the problem. If it's the person, then the person should stay on the local roads and get off the highway.

I don't know about 75mph for the LIE but I do feel that in eastern suffolk from the Riverhead interchange to about the Nicholas Rd/Stony Brook exit should be 65mph.

The only area in NYS that could be increased to 75 mph(weather permitting)IMO is the "Northway Thruway' from Plattsburgh-Saratoga Springs.

While the NYS Thruway in the area between Syracuse-Buffalo should be

70mph weather permitting.

People usually go 75mph from the Tappan Zee going N/B. Alot do it from the Cross County Mall in Yonkers. Others start from the Willis Avenue bridge on the Major Deegan. I think 55 needs to be gone, 65 should be the minimum, on the NYS Thruway from the Yonkers Toll. Once in Rockland, after the Garden state Parkway exit, the left lane should be 75mph, the right 65mph (due to the exits and entrance ramps), and once in Sloatsburg 75mph. The Major Deegan would become 55mph, from 50mph. The NJTP, OMG they barrel down there at 90+, and this is big rigs.........

People usually go 75mph from the Tappan Zee going N/B. Alot do it from the Cross County Mall in Yonkers. Others start from the Willis Avenue bridge on the Major Deegan. I think 55 needs to be gone, 65 should be the minimum, on the NYS Thruway from the Yonkers Toll. Once in Rockland, after the Garden state Parkway exit, the left lane should be 75mph, the right 65mph (due to the exits and entrance ramps), and once in Sloatsburg 75mph. The Major Deegan would become 55mph, from 50mph. The NJTP, OMG they barrel down there at 90+, and this is big rigs.........

Gotta disagree about 75mph on the Thruway *north* of the thruway. I drive by this area all the time. It's already 65mph from the Garden State Pwy-to Plattsburgh(end of I-87) and the Buffalo area(I-90). Also the Deegan/I-87 could become

'55' to the Tuchahoe Rd exit. 70mph for the Thruway in the Hudson Valley from the Harriman Interchange-Albany and passing by smaller cities such as Rochester and Syracuse.

Interstate 81 and US 17/Interstate 86 in Central NY state could be another area for '70.'

Maybe extend the 65mph limit to Yonkers starting/ending at the Tuchaoe Rd interchange. As I stated before the max the NYS Thruway should ever be is around 75mph in places I mentioned i.e I-87 between Plattsburgh and Saratoga and I-90 between Albany and Buffalo.

Many of the NYC drivers use their vechiles like if they are nuts and there be tons of accidents.

I really can't believe i'm seeing "highways should have no speed limits" comments on here.

The Autobahn is no highway, it's a runway that airplanes don't use, it's over 2x as thick as our highways here, and they fix damage in 600 foot sections, they don't do patches. Absolutely no comparison can be made between the 2 systems.

Then, yea, are you kiddinng me, you really want to die that bad? You realize what a tire blowout at 85 mph would do to most vehicles? You'd die, end of story.

Lack of driving skills is an epidemic in this country and you just want to raise the speed limit or remove it?

Man you folks live in a bottle or something. I've grown up around the tuner/drag racing scene, and i can tell you, you really need a speed limit.

Then there's the fuel usage issue. You think 85+ is good for your MPG? Most cars can't even safely go that fast, the tires get more wear, things are noisy as hell too.

Must have been the powerful texas oil lobby that shoved this frucking asinine public endangerment bill though. Can't wait to see the headlines when someone drives into something at those un-survivable speeds.

- A

I really can't believe i'm seeing "highways should have no speed limits" comments on here.

The Autobahn is no highway, it's a runway that airplanes don't use, it's over 2x as thick as our highways here, and they fix damage in 600 foot sections, they don't do patches. Absolutely no comparison can be made between the 2 systems.

Then, yea, are you kiddinng me, you really want to die that bad? You realize what a tire blowout at 85 mph would do to most vehicles? You'd die, end of story.

Lack of driving skills is an epidemic in this country and you just want to raise the speed limit or remove it?

Man you folks live in a bottle or something. I've grown up around the tuner/drag racing scene, and i can tell you, you really need a speed limit.

Then there's the fuel usage issue. You think 85+ is good for your MPG? Most cars can't even safely go that fast, the tires get more wear, things are noisy as hell too.

Must have been the powerful texas oil lobby that shoved this frucking asinine public endangerment bill though. Can't wait to see the headlines when someone drives into something at those un-survivable speeds.

- A

Could not say it better myself. While I don't agree with everything Metsfan says he makes an excellent point. The German Autobahn is apples and oranges different than the North American(US and Canada) Highway and Interstate system.

Even 80 MPH in middle of nowwhere say on I-10(i driven there so I know)can damage your car especially in bad weather. Generally with gas prices going to record highs, why the need to speed? In most cases the national speed limit on highways in America generally at 65-70 MPH is a good fit.

If they plan any unlimited speed highways in this nation then they should look at the Autobahn in Germany.

Autobahn_Overhead_Sign.jpg

See no speed limit so cars can just drive at whatever speed they want.

yes but they are very stricked with drives that dont signal, cut people off, etc.

Archived