Prospective R179 lines - Part 2

ABQ RIDE

The R179 is supposed to replace the R32, and R42. It isn't supposed to displace other subway cars like the R188, and it won't got to any other yard besides the line that runs the R32's and R42's, because that is what it's replacing. It isn't going to replace the R46, R68, or etc.

The R179 is supposed to replace the R32, and R42. It isn't supposed to displace other subway cars like the R188, and it won't got to any other yard besides the line that runs the R32's and R42's, because that is what it's replacing. It isn't going to replace the R46, R68, or etc.

While they will indeed replace the R32 and R42, that doesn't automatically mean they will be assigned to the same yards. After all, the (A) and (C) were supposed to get R160s initially, but that never happened, the (A) got hand-me-down R46s from the (F), and the (C) ended up with only remaining R32s. I have heard that Jamaica wants to go 100% R160, and for that reason it would make sense for Coney Island to get the R179s and transfer their R160s to Jamaica. I don't ever see Coney Island wanting the R46s, so 207th St is the only yard (besides SIR) to base them at. Also, keep in mind that 207th St is the reefing yard, and it makes sense to base the oldest cars (which will soon be the R46) there.

While they will indeed replace the R32 and R42, that doesn't automatically mean they will be assigned to the same yards. After all, the (A) and (C) were supposed to get R160s initially, but that never happened, the (A) got hand-me-down R46s from the (F), and the (C) ended up with only remaining R32s. I have heard that Jamaica wants to go 100% R160, and for that reason it would make sense for Coney Island to get the R179s and transfer their R160s to Jamaica. I don't ever see Coney Island wanting the R46s, so 207th St is the only yard (besides SIR) to base them at. Also, keep in mind that 207th St is the reefing yard, and it makes sense to base the oldest cars (which will soon be the R46) there.

207th St yard isn't a reefing yard,the cars that were turned into underwater reefs were sent there to be stripped,cleaned and ready for the barge.it's the only yard in the NYC subway that's close to the hudson river.

Yeah, I totally forgot but since the R188's replace the (7) trainj cars, why don't they send those (7) train cars to SI if they haven't money for real trains?

The reason the (A) didn't get the R160's was 'cause at the time it was supposed to happen, the LIP caused trouble in combination with the R160's so they were send to Jamaica instead.

The reason the (C) didn't get them was 'cause the (C) was afterwards assigned as the last line to let R32's end their lives, since the (C) is underground and not as long as most other lines.

The reason the (A) didn't get the R160's was 'cause at the time it was supposed to happen, the LIP caused trouble in combination with the R160's so they were send to Jamaica instead.

The reason the (C) didn't get them was 'cause the (C) was afterwards assigned as the last line to let R32's end their lives, since the (C) is underground and not as long as most other lines.

If the (A) was gonna get the R160's,the (MTA) would've fixed the power problem.the line wasn't even getting the cars in the first place.

Why not? The R188's are displacing the (7)-line cars while in the middle of their life. That's why I asked why they can't send those to SIRT.

The cars on the (7) line 51 feet long,you need cars that are longer then that.

If the (A) was gonna get the R160's,the (MTA) would've fixed the power problem.the line wasn't even getting the cars in the first place.

How can the MTA fix something LIP is supposed to fix (which isn't owned byt the (MTA))?

As for (7) SIRT: I understand, thanks :P

there was never an issue about if the SIRT can accomdate cars longer than 75', the problem is you have some platforms that aren't longer than 300' [which you can fit a 4car R44SI train in]. To run an M7/9 you would have to run a 3-car train at most or spend more money to extend all the platforms to accomodate a 4-car train.

You'd be better off giving SI something similar to the R160s and run 5-car sets than to extend all the platforms.

All platforms can hold a 375 foot train except Atlantic & Atlantic (Will only platform a single car to allow the crew door to be opened), Richmond Valley (225 Feet for 3 cars only) and certain tracks at St. George Terminal.

Why not? The R188's are displacing the (7)-line cars while in the middle of their life. That's why I asked why they can't send those to SIRT.

The SIRT is designed to accommodate Division B equipment. We wouldn't be able to run Division A equipment.

Simple for the Future R-188 and all A Division (IRT/Numbered Line) equiptment, you'll have a huge gap between the train and the platform and the (MTA) will still need to spend money on filling the gap and retrofitting, while the cheaper way is using R-46 or Future R-179/211

What are you talking about? The cheapest way is to have the doors of the train have an automatic gap filler, like on the Bombardier/Siemens SLT here in The Netherlands:

(at 0:55 you can see what I mean)

Did you even look at the video? Most stations in The Netherlands have just the same gap size as in NY, but the gap fillers on the trains itself do the job just fine. So please look at 0:55 at the video to see what I mean first (although the station in the video actually doesn't have a large gap, it's one of the few).

It's a much larger gap then you think.

Same happens for The Netherlands. Just because the station in the video doesn't have a large gap, doesn't mean all stations are like this. Most stations in The Netherlands actually have the same large gap as you do, but those gap fillers on the trains itself you can see in the video do the job just fine.

Yeah, I totally forgot but since the R188's replace the (7) trainj cars, why don't they send those (7) train cars to SI if they haven't money for real trains?

What are you talking about? The cheapest way is to have the doors of the train have an automatic gap filler, like on the Bombardier/Siemens SLT here in The Netherlands.

The R188's are displacing cars from the Lexington Avenue line. Therefore the R62's on the (7) will head over to the Lex.

As Julio already stated, IRT cars are not compatible with the B-Division standard SIR platforms. And how would it be cheaper to have cars with gap filler? That's spending unnecessary money on top of the fact that it doesn't even make since.

I have to agree with RoadCruiser1, it is a huge horizontal gap, that would never be enough. Talk about a good few inches to feets, you would actually need platform gap fillers at every station which will cost a lot. The (MTA) would rather get B-Div equiptments.

Compare this (NOTE: Also, two links to data-sheets below/all data-sheets are courtesy of NYCSubway.org!!! I am using it as a reference, not intended to use as for my benefit!!!):

R-142/142A - 8'-91/2"

http://images.nycsubway.org/cars/datasheet-r142.jpg

R-143 - 9'-91/4"

http://images.nycsubway.org/cars/datasheet-r143.jpg

(Approximate).

It's a good foot, and you really want to have a ruler length gap filler doing the job of transporting passenger to and from the train, think again, :P!

Minor correction for you... Going off those dimensions, the gap would only be six inches, because you'd have a six-inch gap on the platform side and six inches of meaningless extra space on the other side.

That being said, six inches is still a lot, and the issue isn't really gap fillers at the doors. What happens on a crowded platform, people are jostling to get in the door -- or just jostling to get towards the door -- and someone's foot slips off the platform where there is no gap filler? My shoe is about five inches wide at its widest point, someone with a slightly larger foot would probably find it pretty easy to get their foot/leg/etc just stuck enough down there, and if the train starts to leave while you're still stuck there... major injury potential.

To get the thread back on topic (i.e. R179s, not R188s), here's what I see happening.

Just to be clear, I don't know know anyone at the MTA, I don't have a source for this. Also, it's not necessarily what I want to happen. It's just what I think would make the most sense.

(Also, I'm doing this without looking at any numbers... i.e. how many cars are in each yard, how big the order is. This is just generally what I would expect.)

Obviously, the R32s and R42s are gone. This is the one thing we all know is 100% certain. However, like ABQ said, that doesn't mean they're just going to toss those trains and send the 179s to those yards/lines to replace them. I saw someone say on another thread (I forget who and which thread) that other yards (207th/Pitkin/Concourse) aren't necessarily equipped to handle NTTs. That, combined with the power problems in the Rockaways, will probably keep the 179s off the (A)(C) for a bit longer.

So here's what I see happening...

1. R179s will go to ENY to replace the R42s, and will run mostly on the (J)(Z). (Duh.)
  2. R179s will go to Jamaica to replace the R46s, which will go to 207th to replace the R32s
  3. If there are more R179s coming in, and/or the R46s from Jamaica aren't enough to kill the R32s, then Coney Island will get some 179s, and send some R68s to 207th
  4. If 207th does get some R68s, then they will probably only be seen on the (C), the (A) will remain exclusively R46 thanks to the LCD destination signs.
  5. It may make more sense to just send the all the R179s to Coney Island, with Coney Island sending its R160s to Jamaica and ENY. In the long run, it all turns out the same.

My $0.02.

Speaking of assignments, since the (G) is moving to CI and will get R68s (presumably from the (:P), does this mean the (B) will be getting R46s? Or will the (B) get R160s, where those displaced R46s go either to the (F) or (R)?
First since when is the (G) going to be using R68's? second the (B) cant use R46's because it runs on the brighton/concourse lines which use R68/A & R46's are only used on the queens blvd line

Archived