Prospective R179 lines - Part 2

ABQ RIDE

With the recent planned re-assignments, I think now is the time to introduce a Part 2 for the prospective R179 assignments.

Currently, my thought is that there might be a bit of streamlining that will go on between fleet types. Currently, my thought is that the R179s will go to the ENY and CI Yards, and CI will give up its R160s to Jamaica, with the R46 fleet being transferred to 207th St. and the SIR.

So, currently, the lines that I would expect to get R179s include the (;), (N), and (Q) (in addition to the (J) and (Z)).

Guest lance25

Neither. Jamaica's keeping the cars while Stillwell takes the line. The (;) will take the (N)'s R68As and the (N) gets a few R160s from Jamaica since the yards requirements will drop for Jamaica and rise for Stillwell.

As for prospective recipients for the R179s, it's too early to tell. We know East New York yard will be getting them since the R42s have to go. Anything else is fair game. However, and I'm basing this on my own observations and ideas, not Transit's, I think they will go to either Jamaica or Coney Island yards. They're the only other yards equipped to maintain the NTTs and I don't recall reading anything on any yard overhauls in the near future.

Neither. Jamaica's keeping the cars while Stillwell takes the line. The (;) will take the (N)'s R68As and the (N) gets a few R160s from Jamaica since the yards requirements will drop for Jamaica and rise for Stillwell.

As for prospective recipients for the R179s, it's too early to tell. We know East New York yard will be getting them since the R42s have to go. Anything else is fair game. However, and I'm basing this on my own observations and ideas, not Transit's, I think they will go to either Jamaica or Coney Island yards. They're the only other yards equipped to maintain the NTTs and I don't recall reading anything on any yard overhauls in the near future.

I actually heard Jamaica wants to go 100% R160, so maybe Coney Island is more likely. I would be very surprised if the R179s go to the (A) and (C); MTA initially said they would get R160s, and that never happened. I still think (A) and (C) will go 100% R46 until the R211s arrive.

Wait, if the (N) gets some R160s from Jamaica, will there still be enough for the (E) and (F) to both be 100% R160? Or will one of them use R46s from the (G)?

i hope this helps. but i heard today that the days of the 75footers are numbered. the reason being is the ind/bmt will eventually go all 60 foot cars for security reasons. this was told to me by several school car tss's today in class conversation.

i hope this helps. but i heard today that the days of the 75footers are numbered. the reason being is the ind/bmt will eventually go all 60 foot cars for security reasons. this was told to me by several school car tss's today in class conversation.

So the R211s will be 60ft?

i dont know what model they will be but ta is being "encouraged" to no longer order 75 foot cars. 1 reason is they cant go everywhere, there are many areas that a 75 footer will bang up the tunnel and itself. 2 they are being told from outside sources that in the event of a emergency the locked doors pose evacuation problems. (remember the D at rockerfeller).

I do not see the point of discussing this (or this thread). We can fantasize all we want about where the R179's will go and we know 40 cars in four-car units will go the BMT east (if and when the whole R179 contract is purchased). Everything is wait and see. We still have a while before the cars would be in service (and there is of course testing prior to that)

Yea its too early too tell.But isn't kinda obvious the 50 cars will go to ENY to replace the 50 R-42's? Other than that I would say the 179's would go to the (D) bumping the 68's to the (A)/© retiring the 32's and bumping the 46's to Staten Island.But yea I think that'll be ok.

Guys is suppppppppppper early to talk where the R179 will be sent or R211 design.. All we know is that the R179s will be here to replace the R32s and R42 while causing moves with cars to other lines. So lets just take a break and deal with current event B)!

Yea its too early too tell.But isn't kinda obvious the 50 cars will go to ENY to replace the 50 R-42's? Other than that I would say the 179's would go to the (D) bumping the 68's to the (A)/© retiring the 32's and bumping the 46's to Staten Island.But yea I think that'll be ok.

If they're not replacing the R42's, then it would make more sense to send them to the (D), bumping the 68's to the SIR. 46's are old and I don't think SIR wants to have more old trains.

Guest lance25

The R42s are as good as gone. When the R179s come in, they will replace the R32s and R42s. It's just a matter of where the (MTA) will send the new cars (besides East New York).

If they're not replacing the R42's, then it would make more sense to send them to the (D), bumping the 68's to the SIR. 46's are old and I don't think SIR wants to have more old trains.

Its on the capital plan for refitting the R-46's b\c the 44's out there have the same issue the ones in the subway had.By then the 46's will be almost 40.

SIRT is basically a 'subway' rather than a RR. Unless they were to have c/rs collect fares in the cars, I don't see why SI should get an M7/9.

=

As for sending R46s down to SI, I don't agree with that since it would be a stop-gap measure. At least if you were to send down the R68/As, then you can wait a few more years before getting new trains for SI.

Why don't they just get new trains on SIR instead of old subway cars all the time? Why not something like on LI with the M7/M9? Or just, you know, a real train since it's a railroad?

I don't think SIR platforms can accommodate 85 ft long cars.

there was never an issue about if the SIRT can accomdate cars longer than 75', the problem is you have some platforms that aren't longer than 300' [which you can fit a 4car R44SI train in]. To run an M7/9 you would have to run a 3-car train at most or spend more money to extend all the platforms to accomodate a 4-car train.

You'd be better off giving SI something similar to the R160s and run 5-car sets than to extend all the platforms.

Why don't they just get new trains on SIR instead of old subway cars all the time? Why not something like on LI with the M7/M9? Or just, you know, a real train since it's a railroad?

They were originally supposed to get R179's, but the TA decided they wanted to hold off, and do the R46 retrofit for now to save some cash.

SIRT is basically a 'subway' rather than a RR. Unless they were to have c/rs collect fares in the cars, I don't see why SI should get an M7/9.

=

As for sending R46s down to SI, I don't agree with that since it would be a stop-gap measure. At least if you were to send down the R68/As, then you can wait a few more years before getting new trains for SI.

I think they should have just coughed up the dough for more R179's. It's definitely a stop-gap. The question is how long it will be until they finally get some new cars.

I don't think its a bad idea. I don't think it's the best idea either. But I'm pretty sure they will be on the island well into the next decade. Its seems like a good solution for right now though.

there was never an issue about if the SIRT can accomdate cars longer than 75', the problem is you have some platforms that aren't longer than 300' [which you can fit a 4car R44SI train in]. To run an M7/9 you would have to run a 3-car train at most or spend more money to extend all the platforms to accomodate a 4-car train.

You'd be better off giving SI something similar to the R160s and run 5-car sets than to extend all the platforms.

You read my post to literally. I DIDN'T say they need to get M7/9's, I said "or something similiar to that", to clarify the point I tried to make (and what I meant by "trains").

They don't have to get the M7/9's, but 'real' trains are an improvement since it's a railroad.

@ENY: Thank you, I understand. Hopefully they'll get new cars/trains soon :(

They were originally supposed to get R179's, but the TA decided they wanted to hold off, and do the R46 retrofit for now to save some cash.

I think they should have just coughed up the dough for more R179's. It's definitely a stop-gap. The question is how long it will be until they finally get some new cars.

I don't think its a bad idea. I don't think it's the best idea either. But I'm pretty sure they will be on the island well into the next decade. Its seems like a good solution for right now though.

What about when the R211s arrive? The R211 should replace all of the R46s, is that correct? Or will they only replace the R46 in the main NYCT fleet?

Back to the original topic, I would still expect that the R179s will be assigned to ENY and CI. CI's R160s can be transferred to Jamaica, and Jamaica would transfer its R46s to 207th St (for service on the (C)) and to the SIR.

Archived