Your favorite foreign picture

tramrunner

as of me, and as of today's mouring I'd qualify this one

8e9a39360e1bt.jpg

This is tatra-T3 Modernized streetcar, running through the streets of Slobodka section of Odessa, Ukraine.

Sorry, that the houses are as shabby as the walls on 7th Avenue (B,Q) Subway station in Brooklyn, NY

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is a Latvian-Made DR1A train, which serves Ukraine, came as a tourist in New Jersey

Latvia, that's right where I'm from, I used to go to RVR (if you know what that is) to see the making of the new generation trains. And you definitely have a huge imagination to put a DR1A in New York. :)

The tram cars (Tatra T3) are still used in cities in Europe!

Here is mine:

A ER2T layed up in Salaspils waiting for departure.

ER2T-7117-05R.jpg

• 4 months later...
PolishtramByNYC_CityHall.jpg

of some old trams in Poland, and City Hall Subway station.

It's seemless! I was almost jealous because I wasn't able to attend that NY Festival! But...waitaminit! That's...that's impossible! lol

Tight shot. Very nice

I know this photo isn't outdoor but it's such a lovely looking creature and I didn't know where else to put it

2j4zotx.jpg

Photo courtesy Oslo Sporveier

Riders used to the signature red subway cars clattering along in Norway's capital city for decades are now encountering shiny white, highly-efficient new models being swapped into service by the Oslo transit authority. The new trains, made by Siemens Transport Division in Vienna, emit around 2.6 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometer traveled (for the metrically challenged think of it as 2/10ths of an ounce per mile). Over a 30-year lifetime that means 825 tons of CO2. So how good are those stats? Pretty good, it seems - the UK's Aviation Environment Federation calculates efficient cars emit about 100-130 grams of CO2 per kilometer traveled, and long-haul planes about twice that amount.

Part of the Oslo subway's eco-benefit is due to Norway's heavy use of large hydro for electricity generation - all that North Sea oil and gas goes for export. But the new white subway trains also achieve 40 percent better efficiency than older cars by recouping energy through regenerative braking. With their molded aluminum shells, the new cars are far lighter than the old red ones, and are designed to be 94 percent recyclable at the end of their lifespans. Siemens' project manager Martin Salender is convinced Oslo's subway, when all the 100+ new trains get into action, will have the smallest carbon footprint of any subway system anywhere. The only way to test that hypothesis, however, is if other transport systems apply life-cycle analysis. And too bad Norway's ballooning moose population, now topping 100,000, isn't helping the country's ambitious climate goals. An adult moose can each year emit as much as 100 kilos (that's 100,000 grams) of the greenhouse gas methane through burps and, uh, flatulence.

mtrzk3.jpg

The Hong Kong MTR, undoubtedly.

The trains on the left side with the blue livery belong to the Airport Express, linking Hong Kong with the Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok International Airport. The other two trains in white paint are refurbished M stock cars. They belong to the Tsuen Wan line. This is shot west of the Lai King Station.

mtrzk3.jpg

The Hong Kong MTR, undoubtedly.

The trains on the left side with the blue livery belong to the Airport Express, linking Hong Kong with the Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok International Airport. The other two trains in white paint are refurbished M stock cars. They belong to the Tsuen Wan line. This is shot west of the Lai King Station.

NICE pics, but your forgetting that the train on the left is Tung Chung Line A stock.

NICE pics, but your forgetting that the train on the left is Tung Chung Line A stock.

Oh yea, I couldn't see the grey paint. I thought that was blue, that's why I assumed it was the Airport Express. Both use A stock trains though (only AE trains are modified) Also, the guideway is at the same level as the viaduct for the Tsuen Wan bound Tsuen Wan train.

Here are more striking photos of HK transport:

These pics are of the Peak Tram, a funicular railway in Hong Kong Island, running up to Victoria Peak. It is the oldest surviving rail based mode of transport in all of Hong Kong. The railway dates to the 1880s.

120.jpg

PeakTram-004.jpg

3-Victoria-Peak-Tram.jpg

_wsb_514x361_Peak+Tram+approaching+Barker+Road+Station3.jpg

chinashow-246.jpg

Archived