Has anyone ever gotten yelled at while recording?

BTW heres a tip to ease being stopped by cop or employee:

(Does not only apply to the (MTA) but other Transit and Railroad systems out there)

-Don't take vids or pixs near the C/R board(Unless a pix) or the train car markers. Even where station agent booths are at.. Thay MAY call it in.

-Don't stay toooo long in the station.. You don't want issues. (Unless you know what your doing)

-Don't stand close to the edge of the platform... Sometimes they will call it in because your causing a safety hazard to appear... In railroads this has happened to me before.. Which i stopped being in the edge.

-Keep your eyes out for police around and there booths. Yeah most cops don't care but surely some will harass you

-If you get harassed, your have a right to report the police or operator. If they refuse to give you badge or something, go to far distant, grab a photo of them and submit to the NYPD or MTA..(Or another way of grabbing there info)

-Optionally: Have a radio or scanner. I got me a scanner and listen to transit's RCC and tower. Sometimes I hear operators calling RCC of a suspicious activity and blahblahblah... (You will need the NYCTAs frequency, visit radioreference.com for them) [NOTE: According to the FCC, is is legal to use them, except for some restrictions such as listen to cell phone signals, etc]

If you get stopped:

-Be kind to them and talk with respect.. Don't go over them, or else they will think you are way more suspicious

-If asked to view photos, tell them you don't have to show them your photo(Only if you got the detectives notice). Sometimes its best to show them at least one or two pixs so it would be much of a problem

-If they ask for identification(ID, etc) give it to them.. No they can't ticket you for taking a pix, but the purpose of them grabbing your info is to document you for the future(Get stopped again and to check if your ok), plus the terrorist watch list, which of course you won't be in it because your NOT a terrorist.

-Make sure to have a copy of that NYPD Detectives list and the (MTA)s rules of conduct.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_subway#Photography. Some transit workers don't know that photography or video is legal. So show them it is.

-If things don't work out, just leave and come back another time..

Keep it safe and look around you, people are watching you.. Thanks to the (MTA)s saying "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING"!

People will also tell cops and employees.. trust me!

Good luck out there and as always KEEP SNAPPING. As cameras ARE NOT a threat to our world..

In my experiences with some officers I know, they react they way they do to some photography all because of the heightened terrorist threat and such. I mean at the very least, if you look normal, taking normal vacation pictures or just some regular for fun photos, they wouldn't bother or not even care. But if you're taking pictures in odd spots or taking pictures of key items/points then they would start questioning you.

Same thing as if you are caught speeding and such, when they approach you, don't be a douche. In most cases, just state your plea and they'll let it go. Of course not in the case of speeding (ha ha).

I've taken vids from the front of an R32/R62A. Not a big deal. Just don't disturb the t/o and hope they don't go ballistic over what you are doing.

Granted I haven't taken as many pics in the system as I used to, but I wouldn't avoid taking pics of the front or from the front of the train.

I was taking pics of an ex-Bee Line Orion V on the Q29 near Queens Center Mall when the B/O opened the door and made a snide @ss remark. The other day, I was in Bayside taking QM2a pics when the B/O made a gesture with her hand. I've also gotten weird looks from passengers. They think we're either terrorists or weirdos with Aspergers syndrome. It goes with the territory. The Boston MBTA is more liberal with photography. They even have signs saying it's ok to take pics as long as you don't go into restricted areas or block the platforms.

So i'm a weirdo ,Fu** you , i'm tired of you wise ass NT's... Do some research....most of us aspies lead near normal lives..

Archived