Unattended LIRR Trains in Queens

mark1447

A Fox 5 News producer found an empty and unattended Long Island Rail Road with the doors wide open just sitting at the platform on the Long Island City station. He was able to walk right up the door and could have stepped right inside and into the driver's seat.

Trains only come and go at the LIC stop during rush hours. But in the middle of the day, the producer walked around for hours and the station was like a ghost town, not far from Pennsylvania Station, which is loaded with guards.

"It's calling terrorists to do something vulnerability highest degree," said security expert Juval Aviv.

Just down the street, the producer spotted what looked like a work train sitting alone and running. The fence around it was broken down giving anyone total access.

This LIRR stop is directly across the water from Manhattan and right next to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel

The Long Island Rail Road issued a statement in response to Fox 5's inquiry: "Both trains require a specialized key to operate. LIRR keeps idling engines in yards for operational reasons. The yard is staffed when equipment is present, and patrolled by MTA Police, which would prevent unauthorized operation of trains or locomotives. Passenger trains at stations that are not in use should have doors to the cars and cab closed. The LIRR is investigating this."

Video HERE:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/unattended-lirr-trains-in-queens-20110512

What is this a joke ,How about a sunday at Far rock on the A with the doors open huh ohhhh boy better get MAACO

What about West Hempstead with its long layover and the train just sitting there with the doors open....Or Long Branch....come on Press ,Find a better story

Did somebody say "slow news day?" If the LIRR has been stopping there for over 157 years, why didn't the stupid yuppies that live near the station and yard consider what they were going to live with every day? Idiots.

Because they're stupid yuppies......

Really? I love how Fox 5 does not show the time of when they took that video at LIC, a engineer could have been at the other end of his train. Another interesting note, why is a new fence needed where that work locomotive is? I barely see people around that area and what only 2 trains pass through that track I think per day or is it two per AM/PM rush?

Did somebody say "slow news day?" If the LIRR has been stopping there for over 157 years, why didn't the stupid yuppies that live near the station and yard consider what they were going to live with every day? Idiots.

You can only report on Osama death for so long. :cool:

This is just like the time when they blown up the fact that the bench seats on the SMEEs could be opened allowing a terrorist to hide a bomb away in there. In my opinion, there's no reason to why they should be doing that as they opened up a big security hole that would have otherwise went unnoticed. I didn't even know that at the time.

This is just like the time when they blown up the fact that the bench seats on the SMEEs could be opened allowing a terrorist to hide a bomb away in there. In my opinion, there's no reason to why they should be doing that as they opened up a big security hole that would have otherwise went unnoticed. I didn't even know that at the time.

I knew that but broadcasting that makes it a threat so now they can blame themeselves

It's funny how the media reports these things, basically giving people ideas. Why not just keep it confidential? "Hey guys, look! You could plant a bomb right here! Shame on you MTA!" How moronic.

Nope. Fox 5 supports them (the terrorists). It gives them news stories :P

Pretty much all of the media is guilty of this at one time or other. Discovering some minor security issue and then broadcasting it to sell papers or increase ratings while at the same time giving 'copycats' bright ideas. And then beat the story to death for days with follow-ups until something better comes along.

If they were truly concerned with these discoveries, they would quietly tip off the authority involved rather than try to embarrass them.

If nothing was done to correct the problem, then I would say they might have a legitimate case for publicizing the same, but not before at least one further attempt to notify first.

Archived