R44 Getting overhauled

I am hearing that in the Fall, both the R44 (A) and (SIR) will be overhauled again. The metal strips will be redone as well as the interior floors and signs.

They will replace the floor with the black marble floor that is on the R32 and R42 cars. The (SIR) will feature LCD signs telling the destination route. The lighting will also be replaced.

They are expected on starting the project around the Late Summer-Early Fall.

During this time, the R42 cars will continue on transfer to the (A) line. There will also be R40M cars transferring over the (A) line as well due to the shortage of the R44. I don't know yet what they are going to do on the (SIR) line.

Its about time. Ive been riding SIR for 22 years, and those cars need whatever surgery, face-lift, nose job, Michael Jackson face re configuration, they can get.

The SIR cars aren't that bad since I last rode them. Many cars had their stainless steel buffed up.

The SIR cars aren't that bad since I last rode them. Many cars had their stainless steel buffed up.

I havent been on SIR Since July 2007, and have yet to utilize it a lot since I moved off Staten Island in August 2006. I don't know, to me the SIR fleet needs to be brought into 2008 world. Not remain in th 90s anymore. These LCD signs, new floors, new head end signs, and more... Go for it! Make it worth my while (MTA) so we can photograph SIR, and look at it in a new perspective.B)

Archived