Subway and Hand Hygiene

juliamaks

I know for a fact some of yall can not work as a EMT,since they deal with all kind of different people.....when I go on the subway,I dont touch anything,especially after I've seen a person cough in their hand and they put that same hand on the pole.

The subway is full of germs. How do you practice hand hygiene?

a. I use a hand sanitizer

b. I use a napkin

c. I wear gloves

d. I try not to touch anything

Interested to hear what you have to say!

My answer: ehh.

I sometimes jump right off the subway for lunch, and I don't wash my hands. Nothing seems to happen. I guess I'm just not that worried about germs.

Ultimately, everyone will eventually get coughed on and everyone gets sick. The only way to avoid germs is to live in a bubble. I try to follow common sense by using hand sanitizer before I eat a sandwich or after I use the bathroom. I'm not one of those germophobes who touches a subway pole with a paper towel.

Even living in a bubble will get you sick. Vitamin deficiencies do not seem like fun at all.

To ALL of YOU:

REALLY? Just deal with it.

To YOU:

They can deal with it however they want. It's their right.

This reminds me of that video of the man licking the pole.

He thought the pole was tasty.

An office keyboard or handling money can be just as filthy. So please, don't generalize that germs are only on the subways. Germs are everywhere.

Tell me about it. Those public library keyboards are a mess.

I once got pink eye after a trip to the city

You got randomly unlucky. It happens sometimes.

Germaphobes can be really annoying seems like you're one of them. I've been riding the system since the graffitti days and I don't use napkins on the railings, or use sanitary wipes on the seats, or baby wipes, or hand sanitizer. We all have immune systems to develop. I have a clean bill of health and to all who do the above mention seem to be very silly in my opinion. Back in the day you would very rarely see a germaphobe. Then you also have the idiots who don't hold on to a rail because it may have germs... then as they fall towards me I just get out of the way and watch them drop. When they get up, "That's why you hold on to a rail." City has become way too soft. Just wash your hands when you get home or your eventual destination. Germs are all over this world so.... You can't run away from them.

@Nova: Excuse me? Be easy with your silly comment.

City has become way too soft. Just wash your hands when you get home or your eventual destination. Germs are all over this world so.... You can't run away from them.

Exactly. Even that bottle of hand sanitizer or that napkin have germs on it :(

Germaphobes can be really annoying seems like you're one of them. I've been riding the system since the graffitti days and I don't use napkins on the railings, or use sanitary wipes on the seats, or baby wipes, or hand sanitizer. We all have immune systems to develop. I have a clean bill of health and to all who do the above mention seem to be very silly in my opinion. Back in the day you would very rarely see a germaphobe. Then you also have the idiots who don't hold on to a rail because it may have germs... then as they fall towards me I just get out of the way and watch them drop. When they get up, "That's why you hold on to a rail." City has become way too soft. Just wash your hands when you get home or your eventual destination. Germs are all over this world so.... You can't run away from them.

Back in the day the city wasn't as filthy as it is now.

I beg to differ. I've lived in Midtown all my life and I can tell you that it was worse. The subways had more bums and graffitti. Penn Station was totally different before they "fixed" it. The Station break arcade was a good example. 42nd Street, need I say more. Streets had more garbage and litter. Meatpacking district wasn't what it is now. Come on, I only speak about what I have lived through... No need to exaggerate or speak out of place like others on this forum.

I beg to differ. I've lived in Midtown all my life and I can tell you that it was worse. The subways had more bums and graffitti. Penn Station was totally different before they "fixed" it. The Station break arcade was a good example. 42nd Street, need I say more. Streets had more garbage and litter. Meatpacking district wasn't what it is now. Come on, I only speak about what I have lived through... No need to exaggerate or speak out of place like others on this forum.

Not exaggerating at all. Since Bloomberg has come to into office the city has become dirtier. Giuliani was the one that cleaned it up. We don't have the sweepers anymore. Those were cut completely if I recall correctly and some neighbourhoods have a lack of trash cans so of course most folks just throw their trash on the sidewalk or wherever.

Another praise Giuliani comment...

Jailing the homeless is not cleaning up the city. It just isn't.

Letting them run a muck isn't either. In fact IMO, they're one of the main reasons that the subways and streets are so filthy. They literally camp out on 5th Ave now, which I didn't see too much of years back.

Letting them run a muck isn't either. In fact IMO, they're one of the main reasons that the subways and streets are so filthy. They literally camp out on 5th Ave now, which I didn't see too much of years back.

Not only that, but a few weeks ago a person was stabbed with a pen for telling a bum to stop smoking pot on the platform. It shows some of them are psycho. Empty jail cells would be a better place than the subways for some of them. The subways should NOT be a moving shelter. Evict all the bums in the system.

On most trains if i'm not sitting i'm standing not holding anything. Most people stare at me because they expect me to fall over, but i never do, i have amazing equilibrium, plus it's fun leaning into those turns!

I have hand sanitizer, i've not/forgotten to use it in the past & gotten very ill with sore throat etc several days later, so i always use it now. In winter i use gloves, but if the heat is on too high i have to take them off.

- A

Not only that, but a few weeks ago a person was stabbed with a pen for telling a bum to stop smoking pot on the platform. It shows some of them are psycho. Empty jail cells would be a better place than the subways for some of them. The subways should NOT be a moving shelter. Evict all the bums in the system.

They're all over Grand Central station too. Last year I was eating in Grand Central with a colleague there in the downstairs area and we saw these workers coming around talking to homeless folks to try to take them somewhere where they could get a shower, food and drink and so forth and while some of them accepted the offer, others didn't. They were very professional and comforting too.

I've stopped eating down there for that reason though because there are just too many of them and I don't want to be in that type of environment when I'm eating. I always used the bathrooms down there to wash my hands good before eating but still. They come around looking for food and such and harass the working professionals that come to relax and eat their lunch and such, so now if I do eat in Grand Central, I just eat at one of the restaurants where I know I can get a piece of mind.

The whole thing isn't good for the subway system nor the train stations themselves and it just makes everything dirtier. I'm sure the tourists are bothered by it as well.

im all over the subway.....when i get into work or home from work i always just usaul wash my hands... and just try not to touch my eyes or nose and def. not eat anything with my hands. Im just aware about these things...not physco about em........... ever see the chinese pple wearing surgical masks ? i think that shit is funny lolol

Ps. As a courtesy when going out on the roadbed or to/from the field i take my work gloves off when i hold the pole ! :tup:

Archived