Whites Believe 'Reverse Racism' Is Costing Them Jobs

Shortline Bus

My belief: If you are qualified for the job, regardless of your race, you should get it.

This is the sort of thinking that gets the liberals in a tizzy. How dare we be fair to all groups across-the-board. Instead, we have situations (as in fire departments, for example) where less qualified individuals are given promotions simply because of their skin color.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up right here in NYC. I've lived up near Canada and in Europe and New York City is especially racist, despite all of the different ethnic groups and such here and how everyone claims we all get along so well. You'll either get the snide remark or the look or something of the sort. I agree w/MTARegional Bus. I think every group is just as racist as the next including blacks and other minorities. The thing is I suppose they feel that there is nothing wrong with what they do because they may have experienced racism from other folks. The same standard should apply to everyone, but unfortunately, we have a double standard these days.

I've heard the term "people of color" before, but I always assumed it meant the same thing as "colored people".

Come to think about it, I don't think I've really heard the term "colored people" in modern English.

Yeah, that term is common today. I'm not sure where coloured people came from, but it was used in the past to refer to blacks only. I assume it came about during slavery.

Affirmative action IS having negative effects. Just look at the MTA:

-they have a special "diversity committee" and make some employees attend "diversity sessions"

-they stipulate in contracts that a minimum amount of $ must be spent on minority/women owned companies

-In management, people have been promoted simply based on their status and not on their qualifications (Helena Williams)

I would hate to be a white person who is rejected simply because I am the majority and "the minority needs to be paid back for harms committed a long time ago".

What's next, reparations?

incorrect

Hey I always got crap from blacks because of my mixed background. Called me white boy and said I was brought up with a silver spoon and so forth, so I guess racism works both ways. Even today I get comments like "Yeah, stay white," to which I respond, don't worry, I will. LOL

I'm black and I play softball with white guys.

Racism is bad for every ethnicity period,Just because your black or colored doesn't make you exempt as a racist, there are black racist to. I remember when I was in High school, black kids would always call me''whitey'' because the way that I talk. you know the kids that always say the N word in there poor grammar an every sentence but white people can't say it.

NO ONE should use the N word. It represents oppression and ignorance.

This is the sort of thinking that gets the liberals in a tizzy. How dare we be fair to all groups across-the-board. Instead, we have situations (as in fire departments, for example) where less qualified individuals are given promotions simply because of their skin color.

A white ex-con has a better chance of getting a job than a black college graduate. THIS is why affirmative action is needed (as long as it's not abused).

I would hate to be a white person who is rejected simply because I am the majority and "the minority needs to be paid back for harms committed a long time ago".

Stuyvesant High School is 2% black.

Actually the truth is I hear a lot of people nowadays use the term colored people for people that are not white. If you aren't white people call you a colored person regardless of your race.

I have never in my life been referred to in that manner nor have I heard people around me address african americans or any other race than white referred to in that manner. I honestly feel like it would be offensive if I was referred to as colored. I know I'm black. Why dance around it with terms like that?

It's even more offensive to me because it sounds like the person doesn't have the backbone to use the proper term to describe my ethnicity and it is African american/black. Hell even if he's racist and uses the term it sounds like he's using it because he doesn't have the balls to go all the way with it. If you can't state it for what it is you shouldn't be bringing it to discussion. It makes you sound like a coward.

I'm past being politically correct. If I'm asked for my background I say I'm black or if I want to be polite about it I say African-American. "Colored" is a term for those who feel shame be it because its who they are or who they're referring to because they feel it sounds wrong if they say black or african american.

A white ex-con has a better chance of getting a job than a black college graduate. THIS is why affirmative action is needed (as long as it's not abused).

Sounds like hogwash to me. Let me read the study.

I've heard the term "people of color" before, but I always assumed it meant the same thing as "colored people".

Come to think about it, I don't think I've really heard the term "colored people" in modern English.

- people of color is a *nice* way of sayin colored people....

- colored people, more often than not, refers to a black man/woman.... but can be (and is increasingly) referred to someone of hispanic descent, as well.... can be used negatively, or casually (i.e. NAACP)...

- "colored" (when used by itself), is always referred to a black man... and isn't any better than calling someone black, the n bomb (yes, with the "er" ending).....

two average black men will refer to each other as nzzzz before you'll ever hear them refer to each other as colored ("look at that colored dude talkin to that girl"... sounds stupid).... of course, nzzzz has more than one interpretation, the term "colored", does not.

...and that's that.

A white ex-con has a better chance of getting a job than a black college graduate.

what does that tell ya....

Actually the truth is I hear a lot of people nowadays use the term colored people for people that are not white. If you aren't white people call you a colored person regardless of your race.

That's just not true....

Asians & Arabs (for starters) don't fall in that category....

What people are calling Asians & Arabs, people of color.....

I have never in my life been referred to in that manner nor have I heard people around me address african americans or any other race than white referred to in that manner. I honestly feel like it would be offensive if I was referred to as colored. I know I'm black. Why dance around it with terms like that?

It's even more offensive to me because it sounds like the person doesn't have the backbone to use the proper term to describe my ethnicity and it is African american/black. Hell even if he's racist and uses the term it sounds like he's using it because he doesn't have the balls to go all the way with it. If you can't state it for what it is you shouldn't be bringing it to discussion. It makes you sound like a coward.

I'm past being politically correct. If I'm asked for my background I say I'm black or if I want to be polite about it I say African-American. "Colored" is a term for those who feel shame be it because its who they are or who they're referring to because they feel it sounds wrong if they say black or african american.

That's the one thing that has always perplexed me. Blacks seem to be especially sensitive to the terms that are used to describe them. Some have issues with "African-American" and some have issues with "black" and others have issues with being called "a person of colour". Never understood that. I mean I've never heard a white person get uptight about being called white or Caucasian. Am I missing something here? :eek:

Racism is bad for every ethnicity period,Just because your black or colored doesn't make you exempt as a racist, there are black racist to. I remember when I was in High school, black kids would always call me''whitey'' because the way that I talk. you know the kids that always say the N word in there poor grammar an every sentence but white people can't say it.

That happened last year in my school. There were some black kids who called another black kid "white boy" because he liked to ride around on a skateboard (the funny thing is that, complexion-wise, he was darker than all of them).

I grew up right here in NYC. I've lived up near Canada and in Europe and New York City is especially racist, despite all of the different ethnic groups and such here and how everyone claims we all get along so well. You'll either get the snide remark or the look or something of the sort. I agree w/MTARegional Bus. I think every group is just as racist as the next including blacks and other minorities. The thing is I suppose they feel that there is nothing wrong with what they do because they may have experienced racism from other folks. The same standard should apply to everyone, but unfortunately, we have a double standard these days.

Yeah, that term is common today. I'm not sure where coloured people came from, but it was used in the past to refer to blacks only. I assume it came about during slavery.

I have to disagree. When I lived in Brighton Beach, my family got along with everybody else just fine (and you can tell at a glance that my mother and brother are Latino). Even now, we live in an area that is predominantly white (though more mixed) and I have yet to hear any racist remarks. Even from blacks, I haven't really heard any comments (though once, this black kid came up to me out of nowhere and asked me about my ethnicity in sort of a threatening way)

I do agree that the same standard should apply to everybody, regardless of race.

That's the one thing that has always perplexed me. Blacks seem to be especially sensitive to the terms that are used to describe them. Some have issues with "African-American" and some have issues with "black" and others have issues with being called "a person of colour". Never understood that. I mean I've never heard a white person get uptight about being called white or Caucasian. Am I missing something here? :eek:

See the thing of it is no matter how you come across it there's no way to be as offensive racially toward white/caucasians as you could ever be toward blacks. The sensitivity of a black man/woman toward certain racial terms comes 95% IMO from how it was used toward them growing up. Being the only black kid in my class in high school I often found people tried to use it as a way to insult me and I guess I'm one of the few it didn't actually get to. But in elementary and high school (high school I believe to be the worst of all), it gets brutal and those experiences stick with the person.

I mean I've never heard a white person get uptight about being called white or Caucasian. Am I missing something here?

- Well for starters, note their facial expressions.... they tell enough.

Personally speaking, the hardest I ever heard a white guy get riled up about being called something (in this regard... besides being racist) is being called a redneck.... call the average working white man a redneck in a heated argument or w/e, and you will see some aggression.... b/c that term is synonymous with being, poor.... dirt poor...

(blacks could give two ishts about being called poor... whites on the other hand, it means a lot more to them.... I could go more into that, but that's for another point & time)

- Next point...

The average white man isn't as vocally aggressive as the average black man..... plus they're in the little something called...

the majority.

that would be like the one fat brainy cheerleader tryna get a spot on the squad, callin all the other participants skinny, stuck up *itches in the process..... i.e, like, damn the expletive after the adjective, you just mad cause we smaller/slender-er.... I wouldn't get uptight at that either; I may even laugh at it...

...which is what some white people do (internally), when non-whites call them caucasian, cracker, etc.... speakin of which, "Caucasian" pales in comparison to the derogatory names that are/have been appended to blacks.... that's a bad example... you'd have been better off by using the term "white boy" in that statement....

That's not to say, some black people don't find s*it to be nitpicky & angry about (which I think, raising a funk about being deemed african american, is one of them).... They'll sit there & embrace blackness w/ Africa, mother earth, the motherland, this that & the third, all day.... but all of a sudden you got a prollem w/ being called AA....

GTFOH.

by them, I guess I'll be accused of spilling yet some more secrets....

ughhh People have to stop getting their panties in a bunch over words. I get called every ephiphet against white or Italian people. You name it, I've been called. But if I laugh and call the person an -insert racial word here-, there would be a whole shit storm cos they have to be sensitive puses. They need to grow some balls.

If I was called a "redneck", I would just show how I am not and then ask the person how he is not a -insert word here-....

Word don't hurt..... unless someone throws a dictionary at your face..... but thats a different story.

- Well for starters, note their facial expressions.... they tell enough.

Personally speaking, the hardest I ever heard a white guy get riled up about being called something (in this regard... besides being racist) is being called a redneck.... call the average working white man a redneck in a heated argument or w/e, and you will see some aggression.... b/c that term is synonymous with being, poor.... dirt poor...

(blacks could give two ishts about being called poor... whites on the other hand, it means a lot more to them.... I could go more into that, but that's for another point & time)

- Next point...

The average white man isn't as vocally aggressive as the average black man..... plus they're in the little something called...

the majority.

that would be like the one fat brainy cheerleader tryna get a spot on the squad, callin all the other participants skinny, stuck up *itches in the process..... i.e, like, damn the expletive after the adjective, you just mad cause we smaller/slender-er.... I wouldn't get uptight at that either; I may even laugh at it...

...which is what some white people do (internally), when non-whites call them caucasian, cracker, etc.... speakin of which, "Caucasian" pales in comparison to the derogatory names that are/have been appended to blacks.... that's a bad example... you'd have been better off by using the term "white boy" in that statement....

That's not to say, some black people don't find s*it to be nitpicky & angry about (which I think, raising a funk about being deemed african american, is one of them).... They'll sit there & embrace blackness w/ Africa, mother earth, the motherland, this that & the third, all day.... but all of a sudden you got a prollem w/ being called AA....

GTFOH.

by them, I guess I'll be accused of spilling yet some more secrets....

That's also another interesting thing you bring up... I've often noticed tensions between Black Africans and Black Americans.

P.S. Funny post. Very spot on as usual with explaining your point of view. :cool:

See the thing of it is no matter how you come across it there's no way to be as offensive racially toward white/caucasians as you could ever be toward blacks. The sensitivity of a black man/woman toward certain racial terms comes 95% IMO from how it was used toward them growing up. Being the only black kid in my class in high school I often found people tried to use it as a way to insult me and I guess I'm one of the few it didn't actually get to. But in elementary and high school (high school I believe to be the worst of all), it gets brutal and those experiences stick with the person.

I see what you mean... I went to a mainly white college with a very small minority (something like 3% when I was a freshman) and there were a few incidents there before I came, so the university made some changes. Once though, a white chick asked me about a girl and then goes is she "African-American"?, but she said it with a sort of tinge as if to be a smart @ss with it. I just shrugged my shoulders as if to say why the f*ck would I care either way? :(

ughhh People have to stop getting their panties in a bunch over words. I get called every ephiphet against white or Italian people. You name it, I've been called. But if I laugh and call the person an -insert racial word here-, there would be a whole shit storm cos they have to be sensitive puses. They need to grow some balls.

If I was called a "redneck", I would just show how I am not and then ask the person how he is not a -insert word here-....

Word don't hurt..... unless someone throws a dictionary at your face..... but thats a different story.

lol@ dictionary comment

Archived