2011 Stanley Cup Riots

Tokkemon

So the city of Vancouver has had riots after losing to the Bruins last night.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110616/bc_vancouver_riots_110616/20110616/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Personally, it is quite disgraceful for Canucks fans to be such sore losers. Being a Canuck fan myself, I'm sad to see my city in tatters because of a GAME!

Thoughts on this?

So the city of Vancouver has had riots after losing to the Bruins last night.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110616/bc_vancouver_riots_110616/20110616/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Personally, it is quite disgraceful for Canucks fans to be such sore losers. Being a Canuck fan myself, I'm sad to see my city in tatters because of a GAME!

Thoughts on this?

I feel bad for you Tokkemon. With that said, people take sports way too serious (i.e rioting win or lose)and after what happened in '94, that city should have been more prepared with police/security. Sadly it does give Vancouver a bad name for the few jerks that caused tens of millions of dollars. This morning it was the 'lead story' on all of the US National TV Morning newsshows i.e "Today" "GMA" CBS and CNN.

Sadly it proves that violence related to sports is not just in Europe after a soccer match. It happened here in US as well after championship finals i.e Detroit, Chicago, Boston(after Red Sox won 2004 World Series)and LA(after Lakers won 2009 and '10 NBA titles.)

Hockey is like a religion in Canada and whatever team you root for is your identity as a person. Part of the reason that the Canucks folded was due to the pressure. The Canadian press was all over them the entire playoffs. They were the sole Canadian team in the playoffs for most of the playoffs, so they had the pressure from Vancouver as well as from the rest of Canada on their backs.

I'm sure some of these people were just hooligans looking to take advantage of the situation, but some of them were actual fans who were pissed. They felt as if their personal pride was on the line.

This is why the riots in Europe are usually so fierce. Often times the soccer club that you root for is where you're from and the games represent far more than just a soccer game. In Italy for example, there is a rivalry between Northern Italy and Southern Italy as to which part of Italy is better. The North generally has the more propserous soccer teams because the North is wealthier and can afford to spend lavishly to get the top players. It is another opportunity for them to show their "superiority" over Southern Italy. I went to a game in Florence where Fiorentina played Bari and the whole time there was a mini-feud going on where the fiorentina fans were belittling the Bari fans yelling "Bari... MERDA!, Bari MERDA!" The chant wasn't just the Bari team and fans, but it was an example of the feud that exists between Northern Italy and Southern Italy. If you were a Bari fan, you knew that you would be wise to stay quiet or risk getting a beat down.

There are what are called "gli ultra" or "the Ultras" in English, who are die hard fans that follow the club everywhere and even invest in the team financially, so a lot is at stake. They are referred to as "Ultras" because they are die hard fans that really take the team and the sport seriously, often times to the point of violence. You have the cultural implications as well as the financial and pride implications all on the line at once.

Hockey has always been knows as "Canada's sport" and the Canadians expect to win every year. Then you go into each Canadian city and see the rivalries between Canadian teams and the history and pride of those teams and the fans and it isn't that difficult to see how riots could break out. What happened to Vancouver last night was the ultimate failure not just for Canucks fans, but for Canadians across Canada. No Canadian team has won the cup since 1993 when Montréal won it and this loss was a huge ego killer.

None of this excuses what happened last night, but I thought I would give background as to why some of what happened happened. Being just an hour from Montréal during my college days before heading off to Europe, I can attest personally as to how big hockey is in Canada. Every Saturday night during the season was Hockey Night in Canada and I would get CBC where I lived at there near the Canadian border and watch all of the games. :cool:

Never quite got the rationale behind fans rioting after games (win or lose).... In this case, it doesn't send a message to the Vancouver Canucks franchise at all.... but it means a hell of a lot more to, and about the city of Vancouver, British Columbia....

You wanna unleash all that pent up anger of your team losing in the finals (again).... You wanna hit em where it so-called hurts... If a team squandering their chance at winning a championship one particular season means THAT much to you...

Don't go to the games... Don't watch them... Don't affiliate yourself with the team whatsoever (this includes any caps, jerseys, memorabilia, etc)....

Just what the hell is vandalizing the city you reside in, gonna accomplish.... There is ZERO justification for that.... It's not gonna erase the fact that the Canucks lost the Stanley cup finals to the Rangers in 94, or the Bruins, yesterday.....

I think some people have destructive tendencies and use the game as an excuse to loot.

That's true...

That was definitely the case in LA after the Lakers actually won the finals last year....

Riots do provide the perfect platform to act an ass....

An update from Canada's CBC News about the infamous 2011 Stanley Cup Finals.

Vancouver police arrest nearly 100 in riot: damage to shops and streets to cost tens of millions

CBC News News Staff

June 16, 2011

Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu said close to 100 people were arrested during the riots in the city's downtown core following the final game of the Stanley Cup on Wednesday night.

Residents of the city awoke Thursday to the aftermath of the city's worst riot in decades, facing a massive cleanup and questions about how the mob fury came to be unleashed after the Canucks lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final to the Boston Bruins.

Chu defended the police preparations, but said in hindsight it would have been better to have more police deployed downtown initially.

Chu apologized to business owners who became the victims of rioters, but defended the police's tactical decision to focus on public safety and suppress the riot by dispersing the crowd, rather than rushing to hotspots as crowds attacked stores.

He described the instigators as anarchists and criminals who appeared to be the same people involved in the pre-Olympic demonstrations and noted police saw many equipped with goggles, gasoline and other tools to create damage.

Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu blamed the riot on anarchists and criminals who came equiped to cause damage. CBC

Chu said the crowd was three times as large as the crowd during the 1994 Stanley Cup final, but this time it took police half the time to quell the riot, a task which he said took three hours.

He praised the actions of police from Vancouver and all the regional municipal police forces and RCMP who responded to the violence. A total of nine officers were injured, none seriously, and two police cars were destroyed in the riot.

He also praised the efforts of ordinary citizens who stepped in to protect the injured and stop further property damage.

PANORAMA

360 view of Vancouver riots Chu said police captured thousand of minutes of video tape of the rioters as evidence and were getting much more from witnesses who captured images on cellphones and cameras.

Police are asking anyone with video evidence, photographs, or witness accounts to contact them.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/06/16/bc-riot-thursday.html#ixzz1PTNrYqhJ

Talk about sore losing. :( :tdown:

Agreed. As much as a NYC sports fan have a bad repution across North America and internationally for being 'mean and rude' (rightfully so at times) at least in my lifetime the last 30 years, the city does not 'explode' when the teams wins a championship like the Yanks, Mets('86) Giants and Rangers.('94)

Archived