Verzion FIOS Question?

Shortline Bus

FIOS is a really great service. It's refined fiber optics in most cases. If you opt for the upgraded fiber lines, the install can take up to 6 hours.

I used to work for AT&T. Their U-Verse is the virtually the same system.

All reception is of HD quality. Even if you have an SDTV.

It's a great alternative to cable. It's faster, and the picture quality is much better.

The on demand selection is growing, but does not compare at all to Comcast or Time Warner.

I have FiOS for my internet at home and let's just say that I'm spoiled. During the hockey season I have a NHL package and I watch the games on my laptop and it is so crisp and fast that it's like watching TV. I'm not sure if I'll get a package when I move, but I'm definitely keeping the internet. I get automatically billed each month and the internet costs me $65.00 with tax, etc. I can't speak too much for the digital cable, but a friend of mine in NJ has FiOS for his internet and for his cable and when I hung out in his apartment the picture quality was amazing on his 47" inch flat screen. :cool:

They also have different tiers for the internet speeds too and I've been considering going for a higher level just so that I can watch more stuff on my laptop, but quite frankly the basic package is amazing in and of itself.

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies/advice. So looks like all of you guys who commented more than give props to FIOS. Because i asked since May my TWC monthly bill for a triple play package has gone up from a 1-year price freeze of around $109 a month to 'full price' at around $149. Even with cancelling my home phone my TWC bill was still around $109.

I thought at Direct TV but i don't want a 2-year contract.

Thus I am seriously looking at FIOS. They just started cable tv service about a year ago (June '10)here in Poughkeepsie area. I been getting offers of specials of all '3' service i.e home phone/most of their digital tv channels and Showtime 'free' for a year/internet for only $79 a month.

So guys who know especially if you are a FIOS customer is it worth it? And time to 'dump' Time Warner?:eek::confused:

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies/advice. So looks like all of you guys who commented more than give props to FIOS. Because i asked since May my TWC monthly bill for a triple play package has gone up from a 1-year price freeze of around $109 a month to 'full price' at around $149. Even with cancelling my home phone my TWC bill was still around $109.

I thought at Direct TV but i don't want a 2-year contract.

Thus I am seriously looking at FIOS. They just started cable tv service about a year ago (June '10)here in Poughkeepsie area. I been getting offers of specials of all '3' service i.e home phone/most of their digital tv channels and Showtime 'free' for a year/internet for only $79 a month.

So guys who know especially if you are a FIOS customer is it worth it? And time to 'dump' Time Warner?:eek::confused:

FYI, Verizon also requires a 2 year contract. I've had my FiOS with them for a year and I haven't had to call once because of internet problems. It's more expensive, but I'm certainly getting my monies worth and it is certainly stress free, hence why I dumped AT&T and got rid of my datacard which was $60.00 a month. :(

The only thing w/Verizon is that I don't believe they offer a package because I inquired about switching my Wireless for my Blackberry and having a package for the FiOS and the phone and so forth and I was told that they had nothing, but they may offer a deal with say cable and internet.

So guys there an important question not answered for me yet? Does FIOS *require* a contract. Up here in Hudson Valley new customers are being offered a no-contract 2-year gurantee of $89 plus tax. Yet Garbaldi says with FIOS on SI he in middle of contract. Would love for someone to clairfy?

If no contract I think i put Time Warner to bed at end of this month (7/31/11) and give FIOS a try. $150 is way too much for me. Woops LOL sorry melvin has it worse in Bronx at $200 a month.:cry:

I have FiOS internet and telephone. Works great! No TV, it's too pricey.

I got a pretty large discount on the service with a 2-year contract. After that contract expires next year, I will face a rate hike >$20, at which time I may drop it.

I have a question about FIOS too. How high are the taxes on the bill, and what are the taxes for exactly? My family has Optimum/Cablevision and we pay $142.00/monthly. We get basic cable, regular internet, and the usual phone package. Is FIOS cheaper?

It's $95 for the first year.

Does that include taxes? Also, according to Verizon and Cablevision, the internet speed is slower on Verizon than Cablevision. From the people that had Cablevision and now have FIOS (or vice-versa), is that true? Also, after the first year, what's the price increase? Is it the same $20 described in Amtrak7's post?

So guys there an important question not answered for me yet? Does FIOS *require* a contract. Up here in Hudson Valley new customers are being offered a no-contract 2-year gurantee of $89 plus tax. Yet Garbaldi says with FIOS on SI he in middle of contract. Would love for someone to clairfy?

If no contract I think i put Time Warner to bed at end of this month (7/31/11) and give FIOS a try. $150 is way too much for me. Woops LOL sorry melvin has it worse in Bronx at $200 a month.:cry:

Basically I signed up at a time when they were offering a package. I was using AT&T's datacard and it was working fine and then I upgraded to another one and had terrible problems so I decided to get FiOS at home at keep the datacard for when I was on the road. The entry deal was $49.99 and it was a 2 year contract at the time. Then I found out that after the first two months or so, my bill would go up to where it is now at $65.00 w/tax.

They may have a different package now, but that's what it was when I signed up. :cool:

No doubt will read the fine print and if 'no contract' I am in with FIOS. Let you know what happens?

Basically I signed up at a time when they were offering a package. I was using AT&T's datacard and it was working fine and then I upgraded to another one and had terrible problems so I decided to get FiOS at home at keep the datacard for when I was on the road. The entry deal was $49.99 and it was a 2 year contract at the time. Then I found out that after the first two months or so, my bill would go up to where it is now at $65.00 w/tax.

They may have a different package now, but that's what it was when I signed up. :cool:

No doubt will read the fine print and if 'no contract' I am in with FIOS. Let you know what happens?

I'm confused though. What package are you going for with them because the internet alone is going to set you back at least $65.00 depending on their promotion. Do they have a deal going on now??

I'm confused though. What package are you going for with them because the internet alone is going to set you back at least $65.00 depending on their promotion. Do they have a deal going on now??

I was offered digital cable, home phone(free calls in the US)and internet for $89 a month plus tax w/ No contract required here in Dutchess County. However this package is for new customers only for a 2 year 'commitment' but not a contract in pamphlets i recently got. No date on when this sale ends.

Plus Full FIOS including Digital Cable has only been in Dutchess for about a year now.FIOS is in a price war up here with TWC and in Southern Dutchess near Beacon Cablevision.

I've had FIOS internet and phone since it was offered in my area. When TV became available, we jumped on that right away as well. The internet service is a lot better than the Cablevision that we had before it. TV quality is also among the best, they've got the least-compressed signal of any HDTV provider. My only gripe is that they remove the copper telephone connection when they install the service -- I hate losing my phone service during a power outage. The included battery backup has pitiful capacity...my phone lasted about an hour on it.

I was offered digital cable, home phone(free calls in the US)and internet for $89 a month plus tax w/ No contract required here in Dutchess County. However this package is for new customers only for a 2 year 'commitment' but not a contract in pamphlets i recently got. No date on when this sale ends.

Plus Full FIOS including Digital Cable has only been in Dutchess for about a year now.FIOS is in a price war up here with TWC and in Southern Dutchess near Beacon Cablevision.

Ahh, I see... Yeah just be careful though because I wasn't aware that the promotion I got was for only a few months into the commitment. They call it a commitment, but it's still like a contract quite frankly. You should ask what exactly that "commitment" entails...

The only problem with FiOS is that if something goes wrong, you have to deal with the brain dead idiots that they have at their CS.

Also, it's not available everywhere. Anywhere south of Toms River in NJ and you're stuck with Comcast.

As forest glen would say 'incorrect.' One of my brothers lives in the Cherry Hill NJ area and he has FIOS. I admit I am stubborn to change at times but i will since this damn TWC bill has gone up on me.:mad:

And Garbaldi i will keep my eyes on the FIOS 'final print' including what 'commitment' means w/ them.

Archived