How would you make sure these routes have artics?

JubaionBx12+SBS

As I stated in an thread about artics in the 3 other boroughs artics should be used along routes with weekday ridership approaching or exceeding 20,000. That being said these are the routes that would qualify for articulated buses (NYCT only, feel free to add any (MTA) bus routes, some routes already use artics): M15,B46, Bx12,B6,B44,Bx1/2,M14,B35,B41,Bx19,M101,Bx36,Bx40/42,Bx15,M86,Bx41,Q44,Q46,Q27,Q58,B1,B15,Q17,B8,B12,B38,B82,Bx6,Bx9

If you were running MTA operations how would you organize things (bus depots, new bus orders etc,.) to make sure these routes get artics?

...these are the routes that would qualify for articulated buses (NYCT only, feel free to add any (MTA) bus routes, some routes already use artics): M15, B46, Bx12, B6, B44, Bx1/2, M14, B35, B41, Bx19, M101, Bx36, Bx40/42, Bx15, M86, Bx41, Q44, Q46, Q27, Q58, B1, B15, Q17, B8, B12, B38, B82, Bx6, Bx9

Scratch the Q17 from your list. Jamaica Depot can't handle artics, and the union will never allow the Q17 to be moved to CS.

If you were running MTA operations how would you organize things (bus depots, new bus orders etc,.) to make sure these routes get artics?

On problem is that some drivers who are supposed to get articulated buses get standard busess instead, and vice versa. That causes problems:

- A standard bus on an artic route gets overloaded, because the schedule is built for longer buses;

- A driver who picked an artic run still gets the artic premium pay even when he's given a standard bus;

- A driver on a standard run gets premium pay for driving the artic that he wasn't supposed to get.

Scratch the Q17 from your list. Jamaica Depot can't handle artics, and the union will never allow the Q17 to be moved to CS.

On problem is that some drivers who are supposed to get articulated buses get standard buses instead, and vice versa. That causes problems:

- A standard bus on an artic route gets overloaded, because the schedule is built for longer buses;

- A driver who picked an artic run still gets the artic premium pay even when he's given a standard bus;

- A driver on a standard run gets premium pay for driving the artic that he wasn't supposed to get.

Also, there is the chance that the route that got the artic could be running ahead of schedule, as it was designed to carry the load of a regular bus (then again, it's harder to pull in and out of stops, so that would probably negate it)

im going to talk for the routes i know

The (Bx36) has like 1-4 artics out depending i agree that it needs more artics because i rode that every day and it was really crowded. The (Bx40) (Bx42) have artics already and the occasional NG or orion V and the many times i have ridden it its not that crowded. The (Bx1) (Bx2) just needs a higher frequency for local buses. The (M101) needs a higher frequency in the morning because i went to school on 131 and convent and if i missed a bus i can walk down to 145th from 181st and it wont show up. The (Bx9) is fine IMO. The (M100) needs artics

im going to talk for the routes i know

The (Bx36) has like 1-4 artics out depending i agree that it needs more artics because i rode that every day and it was really crowded. The (Bx40) (Bx42) have artics already and the occasional NG or orion V and the many times i have ridden it its not that crowded. The (Bx1) (Bx2) just needs a higher frequency for local buses. The (M101) needs a higher frequency in the morning because i went to school on 131 and convent and if i missed a bus i can walk down to 145th from 181st and it wont show up. The (Bx9) is fine IMO. The (M100) needs artics

I think I saw a 60 footer on the (M100) a while back

• 2 weeks later...

The Bx3 and Bx36 needs artics, as it's mostly SRO during weekdays, and sometimes Saturdays. I read somewhere that Washington Hts residents don't want artics in their neighborhood, so I don't know if that's the reason why both routes can't use artics.

The Bx8 can use some artics during weekday rush hours, as most Lehman High students use it, along with the Bx4, and the Bx40/42.

Archived