Water Main Break Disrupts Service For Thousands

mark1447

A water main broke in Hamilton Heights Friday afternoon, disrupting service on the A, B, C and D subway lines and causing Con Ed to turn off gas to thousands of customers for what could be days.

Fire officials said the pipe at West 152nd Street and Saint Nicholas Avenue in Harlem broke at 1:00 p.m.

It flooded streets and even caused the pavement in one area to crumble.

"I saw a whole bunch of water just pop out of the ground," said one resident. "I was expecting there to be a flood and I was just scared as heck. My mom was just running all over the house. It was practically almost like an earthquake, except not the ground shaking."

Department of Environmental Protection officials said water has been shut off to between 100 and 150 homes in the area. They expect that it will be returned by midnight.

Con Edison representatives said that gas will not be turned on for many customers in the area until they know it's safe. The outage could last several days.

They also said to call 1-800-75-CON-ED if gas is smelled in the area.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials say the mess is impacting travel on the A, B, C and D trains.

According to an MTA spokesperson, A and C trains are running local between 125th Street and 168th Street, B and D service is operating local northbound from 145th Street to Bedford Park Boulevard and express downtown between 170th Street and 59th Street-Columbus Circle.

“This is very, very frustrating,” said a subway rider whose commute was cut short by the water main break. “No trains are going uptown and I’m stuck here. Now I have to go back upstairs and catch a bus, and I’m going to be late for work. I hope my manager’s watching this.”

Video:

http://bronx.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/144943/water-main-break-disrupts-service-for-thousands

Sometimes you wonder if this forum needs an actual active mod (instead of senior staff coming in and doing things every now and again)

It used to be like that, mods would take car of stuff as it happened. Now they come in after the fact and lock whole threads instead of cleaning them up. Then they say they don't have the time for this, but yet they stay here as mods.

It used to be like that, mods would take car of stuff as it happened. Now they come in after the fact and lock whole threads instead of cleaning them up. Then they say they don't have the time for this, but yet they stay here as mods.

Shortline Bus could do that.

As much as I hate to say I think shortline would be good for that role. The mods here I feel honestly dont have the time for it; this is no knock on the mods. Locking threads at will aint gona solve anything but in fact make the situation worse.

There aint enough mods to begin with. Maybe having mods in each section so 2 or 3 mods dont have to be everywhere at once because this is what causes our mods to lock threads at will cause they cant be in every post so locking at will becomes an easy way out.

....just my 2 cents.

Thanks to the water main break and the city NOT doing anything to inspect these mains I suffered a severe asthmatic attack, thanks to the good people on the uptown D train that was concerned for me I was able to make it home.

Thanks to the water main break and the city NOT doing anything to inspect these mains I suffered a severe asthmatic attack, thanks to the good people on the uptown D train that was concerned for me I was able to make it home.

Not good at all. Those mains needed to be inspected ASAP.:mad:

At least you were able to make it home all right.

Archived